• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mortal Strike on a pet

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mortal Strike – The assassin’s friend. A successful Mortal Strike will render its victim unable to heal* any damage for several seconds.
Use a gruesome follow-up to finish off your foe. Lasts for 8 seconds (player) or 14 seconds (NPC). Does not prevent curing poison or stopping bleeding. Mortal Strike does 70% of normal weapon damage to target not currently under the effects of Mortal.
Mortal Strike done to a target that is currently under the effects of mortal or immune will do 130% of normal damage and will not reset the mortal duration.
The duration of Mortal strike attacks done using ranged weapons is halved.
An 8 second immunity timer is granted once Mortal is removed.*Other forms of restoring hit points are unaffected: hit point regeneration or life leech property on items, active ‘gift of renewal’ spell, Bushido ‘confidence’, spirit speak.

Broken into 2 parts. First the initial hit does 70% damage and does not allow the victim to HEAL. I think they mean bandages. So, unless the mob has bandages on its corpse it does not use healing and that part just cost mana and and does nothing to the victim.

Second, you get an 8 second period where the pet does 130% normal damage. Does this increase other damage from chiv by a smaller %? Or just the base normal hits and nothing else.

I thought I liked this on my Ki Rin. I can see the health bar on the mob turn yellow.

Is this just another useless ability for general use?

@Khyro @Khaelor

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Mortal Strike – The assassin’s friend. A successful Mortal Strike will render its victim unable to heal* any damage for several seconds.
Use a gruesome follow-up to finish off your foe. Lasts for 8 seconds (player) or 14 seconds (NPC). Does not prevent curing poison or stopping bleeding. Mortal Strike does 70% of normal weapon damage to target not currently under the effects of Mortal.
Mortal Strike done to a target that is currently under the effects of mortal or immune will do 130% of normal damage and will not reset the mortal duration.
The duration of Mortal strike attacks done using ranged weapons is halved.
An 8 second immunity timer is granted once Mortal is removed.*Other forms of restoring hit points are unaffected: hit point regeneration or life leech property on items, active ‘gift of renewal’ spell, Bushido ‘confidence’, spirit speak.

Broken into 2 parts. First the initial hit does 70% damage and does not allow the victim to HEAL. I think they mean bandages. So, unless the mob has bandages on its corpse it does not use healing and that part just cost mana and and does nothing to the victim.

Second, you get an 8 second period where the pet does 130% normal damage. Does this increase other damage from chiv by a smaller %? Or just the base normal hits and nothing else.

I thought I liked this on my Ki Rin. I can see the health bar on the mob turn yellow.

Is this just another useless ability for general use?

@Khyro @Khaelor
It's situational. The 130% damage bonus is only for additional Mortal Strikes that land in that window, and not all damage done. Mortal Strike will prevent Magery healing as well, so it can be useful for mobs that spam heal on themselves when low health. I have a few pets loaded with AI and MS together, but I wouldn't pick MS over AI.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just my 2 cents, I experimented with this a while ago, using 100% cold damage drakes on Virtuebane (this was before pets spawned additional mobs) to power through his annoying spam heal (greater?) ability at low health.

When testing various Mortal Strike combos, I found the following:

Pet used it very infrequently, even less when you have Chiv and AI
Pet never used it when you most wanted your pet to use it, see above
It never lasted long enough to counter Virtuebanes spam heal
Seemed like a waste of a Special Move/Mana against high health boss mobs

My conclusion from the tests I did then were that a drake with nothing but AI and of course the default dragon breath could power through the Virtubanes healing with relative ease. Mortal strike was just a hinderance.

Since then I have never personally found a practical use for it, brute force always seems to be the answer to 'spam healing' mob types which there arent many of.

This is of course my own personal experience of Mortal Strike.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did not choose over AI. Kirins can get 2 special Moves.

So there is only 1 good special move. :(

Mine uses it a lot. Mel, Medusa, Krampus, Khal have a yellow bar most of the fight.

But if it only gives the 130% damage for other MS and not normal damage it is not going to be added to any of my future pets.

Thanks

But I guess it does help the Kirin at Paragon Balrons at the very end. (This guy only has Ki Rin and Hiryus and a NM)

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have it on a dimetrosaur. Seems to use it fairly rarely and like all pets/abilities, they rarely use it when you think they should. Could be good on a PvP pet if they used it more reliably.

Last edited: