• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

More Thoughts on Cheating

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay I finally got to see the "48 Hrs: Hard Evidence" piece on cheating. What a eye opener! It's called "Truth and Consequences".

It started with what happened to some Annapolis Mid-Shipmen that cheated on their Electrical Engineering final. How? One Mid-Ship got a copy of the test, a that wasn't supposed to be seen by the students until. He gave a copy to his roommate, Who then started selling copies of the test. Well in all 28 Mid-Shipmen cheated on the test. The Mid-Shipmen who sold the tests got a stab of concience and turned himself in. He also named names. 30 days before graduating 5 Mid-Shipmen were expelled from Annapolis, NEVER to be commissioned Navel Officers or to be in the Navy. The talked to these 5 now over 10 yr later and surprisingly they blame NO ONE but themselves for what happened to them. As one of them "I was a grown man I made my own choice and I must live with the consquences of my decision." They didn't even blame each other. One of these young men is a High School English teacher, every year he talks to his class about what happen to him and why cheating is wrong. He hopes his story will keep his students from cheating.

The second part dealt with Piper High School is Kansas where a Biology Techer flunk 28 students who plagerised parts of their "Leaf Project". The project counted 70% of their grade and the students and their parents signed a contract with the techer that they would not cheat. The teacher used a website for teachers that helps them check for plagerism. The irate parents went to the school board got their kids who'd been flunked grades changed to passing and the Teacher fired. The teacher CAN NOT get teaching job anywhere so she has opened her own daycare/pre-school.

Third part talked about a boy from the Dominican Republic whose parents lied about his age so he could play in the Little League World Series. The cut off age for Little League is 12, He was 14 yrs old! He pitched a perfect game. Once the truth came out about his age the Little League commision stripped his team of their title and the game itself erased from the records.

How does relate to UO? Well let see the people who pass around scripts, are cheating and enabling others to cheat. The person duping items, and selling he's cheating too. The guy who violates the TOS/ROC, yes that a type of cheating too. the guy exploiting game mechanics; yeah you're cheating too. I think its time we come clean about this and time for the DEV TEAM to take a stand aganist cheating once and for all! Here's my idea, lets give people a chance to do the right thing, if you come forward and turn yourself in then your account would be locked for two weeks. There needs to be a punishment, period. For those who won't turn themselves in but are caught cheating, ban their accounts. Then put on their house sign this account was banned for cheating! I DO NOT believe they should be protected by some stupid privacy policy. In the real world you aren't protected if you cheat.

IMHO, if you are willing to cheat in a video game what is to stop you from cheating in real life? On your High school or College exams? Plagerising your term paper? Lie to get ahead? Cheating on your taxes? I believe (IMHO) that once you do it and get away with it, it becomes easier. The truth will always out. It will ALWAYS catch up with you, ALWAYS! I'm asking the players to stop, think and stand up for the truth! I'm ask the DEV TEAM to TAKE A STAND AGAINST CHEATING!!! Its time to say enough is enough with cheating in UO and it starts WITH YOU THE PLAYER!

Ty

X

xxEvolusxx

To be honest, I don't care what people do in their real life. haha Sounds harsh, but I only care about what happens in game.

I know what correlation you are trying to suggest, but I still try and believe that a fantasy world is still different than a real world.

G

You haven't seen cheating until you've seen the scale a CEO can do it on.

( oops, that's not a UO-related comment )

G

I believe that where UO is involved, you need to look at the past 20 years' worth of gaming (particularly console gaming) culture and media where cheating is not only not considered taboo, but positively embraced and encouraged both hardware-wise and media-wise.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I believe that where UO is involved, you need to look at the past 20 years' worth of gaming (particularly console gaming) culture and media where cheating is not only not considered taboo, but positively embraced and encouraged both hardware-wise and media-wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this may be true and many try to relate cheating in a console game to cheating in an online game the difference is that on a console your general playing against a computer at most against 4 others who are sitting in the room and can reach over and smack you for cheating.

In an online game your playing with many people spanned across the world and your actions will impact the quality of the game for other people who PAYED CASH to be able to play and enjoy the game as it was intended to be played. Start cheating and you start distorting the game for everyone around you like a plague it destroys the quality of the game and infuriates those who payed money for a quality game.

This should help clarify why there is a big red line between cheating on a console game and cheating in an online game and how one cannot be used to justify the other.