• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

More fishing questions (sorry)

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few more fishing questions if you don't mind:

1. I got a message in a bottle with coordinates that start with 174 degrees 7 north. When I run my mouse over the in game map, I don't even SEE those degrees. So what would be an IN GAME way of figuring out where the chest is?
  2. Will I ever get requests for the small batches of "truly rare" or "truly wonderous" type fish or should I just sell them? They are taking up room in my hold.
  3. Does boat paint really cost 6,256 gold for ONE USE? It will cost a fortune to get my boat painted.
  4. I've seen some nicely painted ships. When you use paint, do you get to pick a particular section to paint? If so, what sections are there?
  5. Can you lock down chairs and such on your ship deck?
  6. Is there any way to customize the tillerman/woman? Mine is actually wearing a kilt and carrying a sledge hammer (looks so stupid)?
Thanks in advance for the answers to these and undoubtedly more questions coming your way from Britannia's newest and least experienced fisherwoman!

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few more fishing questions if you don't mind:

1. I got a message in a bottle with coordinates that start with 174 degrees 7 north. When I run my mouse over the in game map, I don't even SEE those degrees. So what would be an IN GAME way of figuring out where the chest is?
  2. Will I ever get requests for the small batches of "truly rare" or "truly wonderous" type fish or should I just sell them? They are taking up room in my hold.
  3. Does boat paint really cost 6,256 gold for ONE USE? It will cost a fortune to get my boat painted.
  4. I've seen some nicely painted ships. When you use paint, do you get to pick a particular section to paint? If so, what sections are there?
  5. Can you lock down chairs and such on your ship deck?
  6. Is there any way to customize the tillerman/woman? Mine is actually wearing a kilt and carrying a sledge hammer (looks so stupid)?
Thanks in advance for the answers to these and undoubtedly more questions coming your way from Britannia's newest and least experienced fisherwoman!

1. You could always use a sextant... My fisher always carries a Mariner's Brass Sextant to find the coordinates as she sails. So long as you're in the general area of the coordinates (within the bolded numbers -> ex. 145o 25 S, 165o 35 W) you should be able to pull up the chest.
2. If you're referring to the fish monger quests, then no, you'll never get an order for the small fish like that.
3. Yup, something like that. Although there are some paints you could buy from the origin store (if they're up there, I haven't checked) that are permanent... Otherwise it can get pretty expensive to keep your ship painted.
4. When you paint a ship, it has a preset area that it paints. You can't choose where the paint goes.
5. I think on the Britannian ships you can place a one tile (deeded?) item. Other than that, no, you can't lock down items on your ship.
6. I wish, but I don't think so.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for all the info. I appreciate it.
Question #1 must not be very clear. I have a sextant and the EC. When I pull my mouse around the large world map, it shows coordinates. That's how I found the location for the first MIB I got. In this case, when I pull my mouse over the map, The highest degree north I can find is like 145. The MIB I got is 175. I guess I can just sail up as far as I can and then see what my coordinates are.

On Question #4, I see Britannian ships that are blue and red. So I wasn't sure which tub to buy to get that color on my ship.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the coordinates go up to 180 then it changes to south and will start going down again. I couldn't tell you why it doesn't show an the map as I don't use EC...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You see, the coordinate system is based on the position of Lord British's throne.

However, the map is something else entirely.

For example, the map's E/W edge is between 90 & 95 degrees west longitude. If you made a map of Earth this way, with 0 longitude where it is on Earth, then the East/west line would run through the middle of the US, with half the country on the far East side of the map, and half on the West side.

Similarly, The Throne's 0 Latitude is far north of the center of the map, AND instead of going N/S 90 degrees, it goes to N/S 180 as well (strange fact- the two Sosarian facets Trammel & Felucca are shaped like DOUGHNUTS, not globes). The BOTTOM edge of the screen, because of Britain's placement, is around 145 Degrees North, with Serpents' Hold & Jhelom being the closest cities to the N/S 180 degree line. Using another real-world analogy, it would be like ignoring the current version of latitude (based on the poles, which Sosarias' faceted shards don't have), and having latitude running at some odd arbitrary angle, to where the "poles" are London, England and somewhere in the South Pacific.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very interesting information, Basara, and it makes since in the Sosarian world. So by your information, I realize I will need to sail up north just about as far as I can go without flipping around to the bottom as my coordinates are 174 degrees 7N by 44 degrees 0E. Should be an interesting journey.

I am finding it fascinating to have this ship and get around to see the world more. When I first journeyed the lands, there WERE no runebooks. And No one had BEEN to all these places before. So you had to Moongate and walk or sail to get to these places. I can only imagine how the first adventures felt as they sailed to a little island just to see what was there. My Ex-RL husband did that and placed a tiny house on a tiny island. Don't remember where it was. It fit his personality of being solitary.

I appreciate the devs and those that are keeping this world alive and giving us new adventures to enjoy and keep coming back to. The producer said that UO could be around another 15 years easily. I think it's up to use citizens to make that a reality.

Happy sailing, everyone!

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. You could always use a sextant... My fisher always carries a Mariner's Brass Sextant to find the coordinates as she sails. So long as you're in the general area of the coordinates (within the bolded numbers -> ex. 145o 25 S, 165o 35 W) you should be able to pull up the chest.
THANK YOU for this little tip. I did exactly what you said and started fishing. Got a ton of pre-chest loot, no sea serpent to deal with, 10k gold. Can't wait to get out on the open seas and get another bottle!

S

Sally MacLennane

As Basara said, some of the higher north coordinates are actually south. Here's a nifty thing from the old Stratics site explaining how the heck that happens. Geography of UO

I find a map program very helpful in the classic client. Cartographer, Mapper, anything you like that works for you. I type the MiB coordinates into "find" and sail off. Often I save up a bunch of MiBs, type them all in and add map markers, then do a circumnavigation maneuver and fish them all up one after the other. It does take some of the joy and mystery out of exploring, though.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2. The fastest way to get rid of those truly special/rare small fishes is to eat them. Except for the one, that restores stamina, they work like the mages spells boosting up a stat for a short duration. There is atm no other use for them.
3. One use paints your whole ship. You can use up to three uses of the same paint to get different shades. One use decays after around one week. (If you use three uses for the brighest shade of your desired colour, it turns into the 2 uses shade after 1 week.)

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your using enhanced client, download pinco's. When you read your sos message, the pinco will put a waypoint to where the shipwreck is. With classic ya download cart or mapper and do a search, type on cord and add waypoint.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your using enhanced client, download pinco's. When you read your sos message, the pinco will put a waypoint to where the shipwreck is. With classic ya download cart or mapper and do a search, type on cord and add waypoint.

Is there a way, with either the Classic Client or the Enhanced Client, perhaps using Pinco's UIs, to make it possible, when one decodes an SoS, that a Map is generated (of course if one has a world blank map in one's own backpack....) with the plotting of what the journey would be from the current ship location to where the cohordinates of the SoS are ?

This way, by dropping the generated Map onto the tillerman and giving the command goto, one could handily sail to the SoS destination without much troubles......

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not exactly, but if you have pinco's and place a marker on a map at the rough location, you can adjust the co-ordinates to match those of your SoS

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can place and adjust a marker on the map with the 'plain' ec client. With Pincos Ui you can generate a marker directly at the right location by just reading/opening the sos message. Personally I go for treasures when I have around 50 mibs/sos collected. Then I mark 50 waypoints onmy map and have mostly short sailing distances between most of the markers.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can place and adjust a marker on the map with the 'plain' ec client. With Pincos Ui you can generate a marker directly at the right location by just reading/opening the sos message. Personally I go for treasures when I have around 50 mibs/sos collected. Then I mark 50 waypoints onmy map and have mostly short sailing distances between most of the markers.
So to place a marker, I assume I just right click or something on the spot where I want to go?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anywhere on the map would work. I prefer to hit the fitting n/s + e/w map quadrant.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok. That worked. With my 2nd MIB EVER, it was another extreme coordinate so I just right clicked the EC map, typed in the coordinates and off I went. This time, the only pre-chest loot I got was an arm that says it was recovered from a shipwreck. An arm? Really?