• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tech monitor

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
first off, we need a tech forum around here for people like me that haven't got a clue o.0

shopping for a new monitor - the one I have is about 20" and I'm always lookin' for more black space, and the few times I tried the EC there was no way I could fit everything on the screen

anyway, looking at all these monitors at Best Buy and I'm thoroughly confuddled... names I've never heard of, resolution, response time, hella big numbers for contrast ratio (which I'm not even sure what that means!)

anyway, if someone or many someones could give me a hand here I'd really appreciate it... and need to let ya know, the $1300 model is out of the question :D

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Man, go to walmart and get a 32 inch tv for 120 bucks. Get the HDMI to usb input and hope your graphics card can support it. That or a smaller tv. If you're just playing UO or browsing the web should br waaaaaay more than you'll ever need. I think i had like a 20 inch tv and it is what I used for a while. Ran wow pretty good too.

And if it doesnt work can always take it back and get ye money back.

belkins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
first off, we need a tech forum around here for people like me that haven't got a clue o.0

shopping for a new monitor - the one I have is about 20" and I'm always lookin' for more black space, and the few times I tried the EC there was no way I could fit everything on the screen

anyway, looking at all these monitors at Best Buy and I'm thoroughly confuddled... names I've never heard of, resolution, response time, hella big numbers for contrast ratio (which I'm not even sure what that means!)

anyway, if someone or many someones could give me a hand here I'd really appreciate it... and need to let ya know, the $1300 model is out of the question :D
Depending on how much desk space you have... I like 24'' or 27''-28'' lcds. Samsung, Asus, or Acer make some nice lcds. I would look at ones with 2ms response time or less. If don't want or need the latest 2k or 4k screens you can get them pretty cheap. I like screens with adjustments like height, tilt, pivot, and swivel adjustments.. but that is me. check out the link to newegg below.

ASUS PB277Q 27" 1ms (GTG) TN Panel Widescreen LCD/LED Monitor, Height, Tilt, Pivot and Swivel Adjustment, Built-in Speakers, Extensive Connectivity with Native WQHD Content-Newegg.com

That screen will probably do you nicely and be a nice upgrade from your 20''. Asus has 3 year warranty which is piece of mind if it breaks.. That one is 1ms repsonse time and has 2k resolution capable.. has all your major ports to like d-sub,dvi,hdmi, and displayport. Has the adjustments i talked about too which i find very nice so you don't have to sit the monitor on something to get it eye level to how you sit at your desk. $329.99

If you are looking to go cheaper you could get the 24'' for probably half that price with similar specs.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Man, go to walmart and get a 32 inch tv for 120 bucks. Get the HDMI to usb input and hope your graphics card can support it. That or a smaller tv. If you're just playing UO or browsing the web should br waaaaaay more than you'll ever need. I think i had like a 20 inch tv and it is what I used for a while. Ran wow pretty good too.

And if it doesnt work can always take it back and get ye money back.
The refresh rate on TV's suck though, depending on the TV of course but as a general rule, they don't make good monitors. I use a 22" and that's more than enough, and depending on your GPU you can always look at setting up an array of multiple monitors.