• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Mod Programming

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been thinking about making a mod, and just trying to learn how it all works. I found the document that came with the EC, about making mods, but I'm not seeing anything about skillgains. Is there any way to capture when a skillgain/statgain happens, so it can be displayed somewhere other than the journal window?

Thanks,
Eth

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been thinking about making a mod, and just trying to learn how it all works. I found the document that came with the EC, about making mods, but I'm not seeing anything about skillgains. Is there any way to capture when a skillgain/statgain happens, so it can be displayed somewhere other than the journal window?

Thanks,
Eth
there is no way to capture that kind of events other than journal messages.

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, after digging around a bit I may try to capture what happens in the journal when the skill gains. I'm not even close to that yet, I can't even get the sample window to work from their documentation. I've made a copy of the default UO, and put the files in all the places they mention, but I get no window. I would actually rather make a mod, I don't want to modify the actual UI, I use your UI and it's awesome. I just want to make a few little addons, just to see how it all works. the debug window shows ChatWindow.updateNewTextAlert, can that be used to grab the text that just showed up in the journal.

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know of resources that are available out there to learn how to make mods?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The only thing I work with are the texture graphics and XML and that was all self-taught. The LUA portion confuses the hell out of me, so I've left that to better coders than I. I did take a look for some LUA or XML books when I first started out, but the ones in the stores are HUGE, expensive, and not exactly friendly to the targeted use of game UI modding.

As odd as it may sound, you might check around the WoW modding community to see if there's anything over there that is helpful... different game, but a MUCH bigger mod community than our little group.

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm probably just the opposite, no idea what to do with the textures, but I'm pretty good with code. Might have to check into some of the wow lua info. I've been trying to go thru the tutorial that comes with the game but it just won't work. Just trying to open a simple window, I don't think I'm entering the script in the right place. It says something about running a /script in the console to open a window. I'm figuring that is the chat area, considering that is the only place I know that can by typed into. maybe there is another hidden console.

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what textures do you mean, like the icons? just curious

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

All of them... anything that's in the Textures folder. Those files hold the texture graphics for the UI, the XML files control how those textures are used (i.e. the coordinates in the various files the textures are found, the size they should appear on screen, the placement of the texture within the specific window such as putting a button in the top left vs top right corner).

eth777

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone know an easy way to test a mod? i have one that should open a window, but I can't get the /script to open the window. I've even tried running other mods with the /script, but that doesn't work either, so I'm thinking I'm trying to run this in the wrong place. I would really like to get somewhere with this, but the tutorial really doesn't help.

Thanks,