• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

MMO's based on Existing Franchises (Film, Litature, Stand alone Games)

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking, these seem pretty popular. You have Warhammer, WoW, LOTRO, UO, DDO, SWTOR, DC Universe Online etc. Heck there is even Hello Kitty Island Adventure for all you softies.. All based on various franchises of games or books and I thought I'd discuss what franchises out there in different mediums you think would make excellent MMO's....

Here's my top 5

1. Wheel of Time - I think this needs little explanation
  2. Classical Greek - As in basing the MMO on mythology from Classical Greece
  3. The Deverry Cycle - Google it this one is complicated
  4. Mega Man series - Gotta love the Blue Bomber
  5. Suikoden series - Not as well known but excellent games

What would you like to see a new MMO built around?

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've heard they are making an MMO based on the Fallout game series, which I thought might be fun. There are also rumors and speculations of an MMO based on the Borderlands game series, which is probably really far off still (since Borderlands 2 is very much on their current "to do" list), but could be fun.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Westeros (Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin) - A harsh world where the good guys don't always win.
Fallout would also be good
The cyberpunk works of William Gibson would have potential, but would likely be wrecked in production.
As would the books by China Mieville (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council). The world is unlike anything else out there, but the standard level-based system would likely not fit. It would have to have a brand new MMO concept to go with the world.

H

Hand

I'd like one based on Traveller... the old paper game. Wonderful game! *waves old books*

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like to see something based on Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series. The whole idea of battling in Lud or walking down Odds Lane is very appealing to me.