• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Missing Muses Part I

EM Mystique

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
The death of Queen Dawn set a tidal wave of disruption coursing through the world. Unrest and violence continues to rise in the lands of Sosaria. It is more than ever necessary to organize and form a Militia to protect our citizens from the dangers that threaten to plunge the world into anarchy.

Without a formal leader the Army disbanded, such as it was. A few splintered groups still roam their assigned patrol posts but more out of habit and without purpose. Garrisons and towers lie in disrepair after being abandoned and looted by passing brigand and gypsy bands. It is becoming quite clear there is desperate need for some order.

Rose Blaque has answered the call to investigate this dire situation further hoping to find some clue how to best solve this pitiful circumstance. In her own patrols she happened upon several towns that have had quite a unique situation arise. Artisans in the cities of Trinsic, Nujelm, Moonglow, and Britain have been found wandering aimlessly or merely sitting at their shoppes in a distraught haze. When questioned they all expressed the same sentiment. Their “Muse” had left them and they were at a loss as to what to do next.
A local Librarian was most helpful in discovering the origin of these odd troubles. It seems that the Nine Muses were directly responsible for inspiring great works of art, science, invention and discovery. Without their assistance great minds simply go blank and lose focus and direction. Rose was sent to Ilshenar to speak with a certain Meer Mage who would be greatly informative in solving this mystery.

Rose sought refuge at the Twin Oaks Tavern to rest before seeking out the Meer after the long trek from the realms of Trammel into Ilshenar. She was surprised to find the tavern unused and in disarray. The only evidence that anyone had been there recently was a rolled up scroll with orders given to a Knight of the Realm to report to the Spirituality Outpost. She would investigate this new plot twist in the morning before seeking the Meer.

EM Mystique

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
The Next Morning:​

Forcing herself to meander and try to enjoy the view of pixies and unicorns, Rose Blaque strolled the short distance from the tavern to the Outpost. Left in great decay and ruins the Outpost held only one item that was significantly out of place for a military establishment. On a table at the far end of the main hall was a crystal ball. As an elf Rose knew this to be an item for mages and mediums not warriors and knights.

Curious and troubled she stepped cautiously across the broken stone floor to the table. Knowing that crystal balls can be tricky she approached quietly to examine the orb. Some are activated by touch while others a mere whisper across the smooth surface will activate any Spirit held within. Peering as a child at a candy store display case Rose watched as it filled with a swirling film of smoky blue gray. Instead of producing an apparition it merely began to spout off a message to some Knight long abandoned and almost forgotten.

“My dear, Elistan, brave Knight of the Realm; thou art lost to me and I seek to find thee. Answer mine plea and don the item for which we art bound. Tis feared the land hast changed far too much for one to be explained, mine information shalt be of use to thee.”

Over and over the ball’s message repeated. It was far too advanced in its simplicity to be anything of this world. It had to be made by a specter of some sort, but how is one who is dead bond to one who is living? The mystery of the Crystal Ball only added to the unexplained orders, although it was likely they were linked somehow.

The time for slow and careful meandering was past, now was the time of urgency. Rose quickly ran from the Outpost towards the Meer village to the West. It was times like this she wished BriarPatch would show up and reassure her that the path was sound.

Entering the Meer Village it was apparent that time and battle had left a mark here also. Traveling to the center of the small town sat an old mage by the well. The lines in her soft feline face were etched with snow white fur. Her clouded milky blue eyes betrayed her blindness yet her ears twitched at Rose’s approach.

The soft fabric of her robes lay in neat folds across her lap barely covering the clawed feet that barely peeked from underneath. Her ancient fingers gently fondled a smooth crystal pendant that hung by a silver chain around her neck. When she spoke the words were thick with the purr of her native tongue.

“I have waited for you a long time, my dear.” She started. “The quest you seek lies to the North. I assure you will find it if your eyes are open and mind full to understand.”

As soon as her message was delivered the ancient Meer Mage vanished in a slow smoldering wisp of smoke. All that was left as evidence to her presence was the pendant.

Almost mindlessly Rose followed the road out of the small village to the North. She had traveled this path many times in the past enjoying the scenery and the flutter of pixie wings along with their happy little jingles. This trip was different, the pixies were still there but their songs and fluttering were set to a darker note almost sinister. What she found next chilled her to the depth of her soul.

A large Yew tree that played some important role in the spirituality of this region had been surrounded by pillars. All were made of a glittering salt essence and hued in disturbingly beautiful colors. There were nine in all surrounding the tree. On closer inspection it was evident that these pillars were not ordinary but were the petrified remains of the Nine Muses!

What could all this possibly have to do with the “brave Knight”? Were these two instants joined somehow? Clues were needed now more than ever!

Remembering the words of the Ancient Meer, Rose walked around each pillar slowly and methodically as if expecting to find lost treasure. Almost half way around the circle she stood face to face with the Pillar to the Muse Erato. This was different than the others in that it had a small pile of shed salt at its base. Perhaps this was the clue she sought.