• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Misc. awkward changes that could use improvement

M

Maija

1) The thing that's been annoying me the most often when I use the newer clients is the fact that ethereal steeds cannot be clicked through anymore, but still can be in the 2D client. While some may cry that that's just fair, because you can't click through solid mounts, you can't see through solid mounts, either. In many cases, unless I am very zoomed in (and sometimes not even then, especially if the target is grey), I don't see that some part of my mount was blocking that corpse/door/chest/etc. and wind up dismounted. Changing the behavior to be more consistent would be awesome.

2) It's still difficult to tell how far, exactly, you are from a corpse. You seem to need to be closer to the corpse in the 3D clients than in the 2D client, and I'm not sure whether it's due to the corpse being drawn in a different spot than it is on the 2D client, or tighter restrictions. I know for certain that you cannot use the Butcher's war cleaver from as far away as you could on the 2D client.

3) You're taken out of combat mode a lot. When I recall, when I enter a dungeon, sometimes it would seem just at random. I am a "clicker", rarely using the keyboard, so I know it isn't simply that I hit tab by accident. As a side note, though, as I was alt-tabbing in and out while writing this, I also found that using alt-tab brings you in and out of combat mode, even though as soon as you release tab, you're in another window. If I do it quickly, I get the "You must wait to perform another action." message, do it quickly enough and you'll find yourself not in the mode you thought you left in. It may be a bug worth looking into though.

4) The contents of a corpse are not refreshed simply by double-clicking it to open it again when the corpse contents are already open. This is just convenience factor, but it was nice.

5) Being able to drop things onto your nametag (the one that shows when holding ctrl-shift) again would be really useful. When in a crowded place, it is difficult to see yourself, but you can't simply right-click items on the ground, and dragging way over to the bags is clunky. One example where this is very useful is at a champion spawn. When the money at the end spawns and everyone is scrambling to get what they can, those on the 2D client have a distinct advantage in grabbing the money, because it is only a centimeter or so of mouse movement.

6) On the 2D client, when something dies, the name of its corpse appears for a few seconds over the freshly spawned corpse. If you could do that on the SA client and allow us to click that, it would make finding the new corpse within a pile of identical corpses so much easier, and when looting is often a time-sensitive thing, having to find the corpse and take what you want within only a handful of seconds before your attention needs to be brought back to the fight with respawns or the rest of the group, easier is better!

Thanks for reading my long ramble, and if I'm mistaken about any of these and there is an option to do it the way I prefer, I'd love to hear them! I don't profess to be an expert - or even really a novice, haha - on the 3D clients, but I'd like to be able to comfortably use them one day!

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
6) On the 2D client, when something dies, the name of its corpse appears for a few seconds over the freshly spawned corpse.
This is a function of the "show new corpses" checkbox in uoassist. However all these little features are ones that I will miss are they not implemented.

O

Old Man of UO

4) The contents of a corpse are not refreshed simply by double-clicking it to open it again when the corpse contents are already open. This is just convenience factor, but it was nice.
Double clicking on a corpses is working fine for me to refresh the loot pack. Sometimes if you click on the gold too soon, it does not make the "ka-chink" sound and the gold does not go into your pack, but it "disappears" from the open loot pack on the corpse. Refreshing the loo pack by double clicking on the corpse shows the gold once again.

M

Maija

The problem I was having was that, while gathering leather, I would find a corpse I'd forgotten to skin, skin it while the corpse was open, and it would neither close nor refresh the contents, even when I would doubleclick the corpse again. I would have to close and reopen it to see the leather. While in the legacy client you still had to reopen it, at least there was not the extra step of closing it.

H

HattoriHanzo

I'm coming from using the KR client, and am having a few of my own sets of issues:

1) Items are impossibly small & hard to see in list view, as well as in the paperdoll. Truly impossible. Some effort should be made both to make items appear larger within the grid square, and to make the background texture less "busy".

2) Follower backpacks--at least the one for my beetle--only appear as "legacy view", and do not appear to properly display contents.

1 & 2 are the only two major deal-breakers for me, so far. But while I'm at it...

3) I miss the "legacy container art". Although it's MUCH better to actually have full-on legacy containers to try and convert some of the old client users, I'm disappointed to be stuck with plain grey windows for my containers. The text labels at the top certainly help, but not at a glance.

That's it for now. I'll keep posting as I find more. I worry that it'll be an awful lot of work getting this client in a really good spot for both the classic client users AND for the KR users... But I feel like this could be a lot closer to pleasing everybody than Kingdom Reborn turned out to. To the developers, thanks and keep up the good work!

M

Maija

Oh, hear hear on the small items. Especially on the paperdoll, the background makes it extremely hard to see what you're looking at there without hovering on it. It would be nice, but not as necessary if the backgrounds are simplified for easier viewing, if the art for inventory and paperdoll items was resized to fit the boxes they go into. As it is, they appear to waste 50% or more of the space for many of the items, and as hard as they are to see, that probably shouldn't be going on.

O

Old Man of UO

Oh, hear hear on the small items. Especially on the paperdoll, the background makes it extremely hard to see what you're looking at there without hovering on it. It would be nice, but not as necessary if the backgrounds are simplified for easier viewing, if the art for inventory and paperdoll items was resized to fit the boxes they go into. As it is, they appear to waste 50% or more of the space for many of the items, and as hard as they are to see, that probably shouldn't be going on.
I would be happy if they changed the backpack slots background color to all white (or let us choose the background color). Then the smaller size wouldn't matter so much to me.