• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mining question

tks1972

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am returning after five years or so. When mining do the ore types move? I found a house with rune books to the various ores and none are right and I have noticed as I mine that it seems the type of ore is changing.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
yes they do move they may respawn a few times but then they change

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
what I did was just strip mine and then when you you smelt agapite or above smelt them 1 pile at a time so if you have 50 agapite that is 50 chances at a gain

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
everything is randomized now...ore...wood...tmap locations....it is a crap shoot out there!

Macrophage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might not dig any verite/valorite but you can still get to gm mining. It is quite rare nowadays to get verite and valorite. You can mark any gold, agapite, verite, valorite spots you find and come back with gargoyle pickaxe and prospector tools and kill elementals. This will at least yeild you high end colored ore. Smelting it is another story...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would suggest reading the Mining FAQ in the Data Chest sub-forum of this forum.

Ore type DOES NOT come into play for skill gains from the actual MINING of ore. You can get all the way to GM mining only iron.

Ore type only affects Mining skill gains from SMELTING the ore after you mined, and at 95 skill you can get gains from smelting any ore Copper and above (in other words, you have to be able to fail on smelting to get a gain). Smelting the medium to high ores one piece at a time is your best bet on gains from smelting.

By the way, I think you are underestimating how long you've been gone, or at least how long it's been since you mined. Next month is the EIGHTH anniversary of the ore vein randomization (which happened in August 2007). In fact, we've had randomly changing colored ore longer than we've had colored ore, if I remember how long it was after UO launch that colored ore was introduced (well before my time - I started with AoS, myself)