• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Lets talk mechanics

H

HeavyMetal

Good evening craftolk,

I am a returning vet trying to get used to this new KR client and I have a question for you guys. How are you going about mining? Obviously i know the base mechanics, I mean... are you using macros, and if so, which?

The way im doing it (which i got from another post on here) is by creating a target by resource macro that has 5 target by resource icons in it (each with a different shovel associated to it). Repeating is turned off. So I hit my button and it basically tries to mine with 5 shovels.

This is sort of OK but it lags my system a bit and its a pain editing the macros when the shovels run out.

Does any body have a better way to do this? It seems inelegant. I can go back to my old school last object / last target setup but my wrist is enjoying not having to press the same keys over and over and over hahaa.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help.

H

HeavyMetal

I did do a search but not finding much here in regard to my question.

For now Ive split my 5 shovel macro into 2 3 shovel macros. Seems to run a little bit better but takes up 2 hotbar keys now (not a big deal).

Still would love to hear how everyone else is doing it.

Thanks.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I haven't found a macro I like so I click the shovel and target the spot then do "last item" key followed by "last target" key and I have them next to each other so it's simple. I don't mine a lot but when I do, I am often using a gargoyles pickaxe (so waiting for an elemental.)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a 'target by resource' but I only have 2 shovels, set to repeat 10 times. I also have the ores in a hotbar tied to the number pad. When a shovel breaks I've only got 2 to put back in and as it digs I periodically press the key associated with whichever ore is being mined. The target is set to 'current', 'current' is my fire beetle, so I'm smelting as I go and therefore not getting over weight. Smaller ores are in separate hotbars, not tied to a key, but target 'current', I just click on each to smelt them once in a while.

so basically, mining shadow, push the no 3 key, mining gold, no. 6.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Target by resource works best if you have high-use tools (200-use sturdy shovels, preferred) in them, or if using gargoyle pickaxes, put the highest use ones you have in the first slots, the lowest in the last slots, so that it is more likely for the tools to run out at similar times.

Setting up 6-8 tools this way for 1 repeat (two swings per macro trigger) (6 for sturdy 200s, 7 for sturdy 150s, 8 for garg picks) typically means that by the time the tools are running out on a trammel-ruleset mining trip with a fire beetle, the ingots on board are getting to the point where you would lose ore on repeats (in fact, you might even start have to temporarily setting the iron ingots aside while mining).

I've not used KR much for mining yet, but I kinda like it when I do - it just gets a little hairy if I bring up 2-3 elementals with those 16 macroed garg pick swings (especially if they are different ore types, so you can't use enemy of one!)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
meant to mention, this did cause me some lag, until I applied the tweak recently mentioned adjusting the frame rate from 30 to 60. If anyone hasn't already done this I highly recommend that they do.

H

HeavyMetal

meant to mention, this did cause me some lag, until I applied the tweak recently mentioned adjusting the frame rate from 30 to 60. If anyone hasn't already done this I highly recommend that they do.
Petra Fyd, wanted to take a second to thank you (and others) for sharing what you do. The ore on the hotbar is awesome, I was trying to think of a good way to do it and yours works elegantly.

How do you go about raising the frame rate from 30 to 60? I looked in game options but didnt see anything.

Thanks for your help.