• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] mining in the "Wield"

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys

Its been a while since I trained a miner but does the method being discorded by the Satyr at the Twisted Wield still work?
And if it does work, at what skill level should I start this method...?
Many thanks!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
yes being discorded still works and when your gains start to get around 80or so is when I start using the satyr for gains in most skills although I never used it for mining it has worked for all other skills i have tried

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes being discorded still works and when your gains start to get around 80or so is when I start using the satyr for gains in most skills although I never used it for mining it has worked for all other skills i have tried
Thanks for the fast and thorough info :thumbup1:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh course, I am crazy enough to mine in the Weald - with Gargoyle Pickaxes.....

You should see the tamers farming/training the GD at the Swoops stepping and a-fetchin' when a Paragon Valorite elemental pops out of the ground on Swoop Hill.....

U

uoBuoY

Personally I use Wield Disco at any skill level above what I can buy since skills gain faster the lower they are...even very low skills. If the Satyr works like my Disco char (not sure on his skill levels), then you're skill will be reduced by up to 28% (at 120 Disco).

Is there a Mining quest in New Haven? This would likely be the best bet up to 50 skill.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, there's a mining quest in New Haven. Go out of the west gate of town, but instead of going toward the moongate, follow the shore of the bay to the mountains - the quest giver is Jacob, and he gives a 20-use, recharging, pickaxe that gives +10 mining (up to 100) when held.

J

[JD]

can anyone explain the weild mining trick in detail, or in a PM?

i tried it and couldnt get it to work

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
go into the weild and target the satyr getting him to discord you (be carefull not to get killed usally best keep em at a distance) then go back out through the sparkly and then come back in (make sure you are not still in war mode) and as long as you stay within range of the satyr you will remain discoed and your skills will be lowered making it easier to gain...

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
you must go out and back into range of the satyr fast so as not to have the disco fade

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
invisibility can work for breaking the aggro, so long as you immediately break it on success (and you might have to get someone else to cast it on you, due to the discord and other things).

Also note that if it provokes something on you, you might as well forget it, and come back later. You'll either have to kill the thing provoed on you (which can be as easy as a pixie, or as difficult as a para dryad, para cu or Swoop), even after coming back in, as for some reason the provo stays in effect for a LONG time, even if you leave Ilshenar.

J

[JD]

thanks, I didnt know about the stay within range of the satyr thing. what is the range? do you need to lead it to an area you're working skills? (mining, taming, imbuing, etc)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
range is best described as "on-screen line of sight"

You have to keep it to where you see each other, without anything that would block spell targeting.

As far as I know, the two skills you can't train with a Satyr are Blacksmithing and imbuing, because of the house add-on requirements (an anvil for smithing, the soulforge for imbuing) - though you could theoretically train a smith with a fire beetle for forge, and one of the "account is banned on sight for possessing" portable anvils from about 10 years ago (but who would be foolish enough to risk that, if they had one of those in the first place).

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont forget about fishing. Hard if not impossible to do the satyr-trick with it. :thumbup1:

J

[JD]

thanks - how long does the disco last? will you be given a warning/notification when it wears off?

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you stay near enough to the satyr it will last as long as you are there.