• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Min req's for a mare

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have a bonded pre-patch mare on an old char - she has the traditional 100 Taming & lore.

If I start to train the mare and it goes past my skill point, what happens ?

Can I just buff up my skills with jewels ?

Even so what is the min for 3, 4 & 5 slots - can anyone tell me, please .....

Is there a formula or calculator I can use ?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have a bonded pre-patch mare on an old char - she has the traditional 100 Taming & lore.

If I start to train the mare and it goes past my skill point, what happens ?

Can I just buff up my skills with jewels ?

Even so what is the min for 3, 4 & 5 slots - can anyone tell me, please .....

Is there a formula or calculator I can use ?
Yep..If she has 100 real taming and has eaten in the past a 120 taming scroll, then your cap is 120 taming, and yep, you can use jewels to get taming higher, and it should work just like real taming 110-115-120. Taming mastery intensity and timers though depend on real taming though..Also when you try to train the pet past your taming at the time there will be a message, and it will stop you from going overboard in training it. But please get t he jewels. You will find people in most shards that will make the jewels for you, even for free.

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thank You ... yes I just added jewels .... all going well now. Just a nervous wreck doing the points.

Gardo

Journeyman
I’d highly recommend familiarizing yourself with the system on anything other than a legacy pet. Screw up a cu or Hiryu, its no big deal. Screw up your legacy pet and it’s irreplaceable...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes, what @Gardo said:

Do NOT touch that PP mare if you are new to the revamped system, even if you have several PP mares:
If you mess it up (and its almost a certainty it may happen, as it happened to most of us initially), it is NOT a replaceable pet. PP mares are now also very pricey, IF you can find someone selling, it will be for many millions, esp if they are 2-slot which they should be. Train a Cusidhe or any other pet first. If you have legacy/PP pets, learn the new taming/training system. If you are on GL I will give you 3-4 Cus free to train first if you want, or get you any other pet you may want to try. Most shards, there are tamers that will get you most any pet for you to train, when taming with jewels is up to speed (get it to 120 with jewels if you can, you will not regret it).

Also : If you are returning, and find you have old : PP mares, PP White Wyrms, Bane Dragons, Dreadmares, and someone propositions you to sell them be very careful on the price. Check the prices first on Stratics traders forums, otherwise you can lose many millions of UO gold value. These pets are worth a lot, and they are irreplaceable. Looking in here takes only very few minutes, use your "search" Stratics option on top. At least you will get an idea of their price ranges. This way you will not have may regrets..

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I cam back with a PP bane, ww and nm.

Bain wasnt high enough on str for a chiv build, so i did poison breath, armour ignore and magery... for khaldun he rocks. Poison breath hits everything on tram side... even other players... i love it

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have been looking for guidance ... I have trained 3 - 4 but not added the points cause I am so scared of making an error.

I have sat with it at that point now for 3 days waiting.

Can someone point me in the direction of 'an expert' - I mostly play PvP and was thinking of training it with that in mind.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pix, what are its stats? Anf its slot went from 3-4?

I ask because my PP mare is 2 slot

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Been pretty busy this week, I'll have some time to respond tonight 9 pm eastern tonight.

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Should be 80% physical resist. Why 20 stamina regen? That mare is 4 slot now? Did you put armor ignore and Chivalry on it already? Needs 700 Strength and more HP and Mana.
Yes it is 4 - 5 slot now but I have not spent the points .... I have 1273 points unused; and another round of training to go.

I was advised to add the 20 stam - before I came here.

I have stabled it for now as I cant get anyone to help and I know nothing about it.

Disfunctional

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Is there anything specific to look for when taming a mare? HP minimum or anything like that?
Looking to build a mare with necro just to mess with.

Thanks

Gardo

Journeyman
Is there anything specific to look for when taming a mare? HP minimum or anything like that?
Looking to build a mare with necro just to mess with.

Thanks
Besides color and 2-slot, just make sure to find the best HP and STR possible. Not at home right now but I want to say the best void 2-slotter I’ve tamed had like 300 hp and around 280 str. (Not sure of the full stat ranges as I kill anything that isn’t void color) Definitely get yourself a 2-slotter above all else. Happy hunting....

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes it is 4 - 5 slot now but I have not spent the points .... I have 1273 points unused; and another round of training to go.

I was advised to add the 20 stam - before I came here.

I have stabled it for now as I cant get anyone to help and I know nothing about it.
Yep..Careful who you get advice from in-game. That poor mare is already damaged, but keep it. May make a useful pet. @Khaelor and @Khyro have a great guide in here and on their website on PP mares and mares in general. Check it out..
Ask here first before you do anything with PP pets, pple here are extremely helpful, and they will not mislead you, accidentally or purposefully.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Should be

Should be 80% physical resist. Why 20 stamina regen? That mare is 4 slot now? Did you put armor ignore and Chivalry on it already? Needs 700 Strength and more HP and Mana.
why would you advise him to put chivalry on a nightmare when the OP explicitly said that he wants to pvp with it?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
why would you advise him to put chivalry on a nightmare when the OP explicitly said that he wants to pvp with it?
Yep..And though I not sure about PVP mares, maybe the mare is still ok, salvageable to some extent, and maybe the stam is ok for PVP mare. Definitely no Chiv. I think @SouthPaw was not recommending it but asking what else the OP put on him. Mare still has TPs available. So what would you add to it he is asking.
Likely :
--First Mana regen to 30, plus Magery mastery, then HPS, Phys and Fire res to 80, Str to 700, max damage to 33, then scrolls, then bump hit points up a little, max damage being most important as well as str.
--Does he instead put Necro Mage on him? Or Mysticism? or likely Magery mastery that most PVP mares go for with the teleport and protection they do, but also bless etc? Precalculate trainig points remaining available, for scrolls, skills etc..
--Is poisoning useful in PVP instead of other magics in PVP, which taken to 100 would give the enemy high level poisoning?
Probably the STR needs to go to 700, then max damage first, then the rest of the upgrades.
Also what about the specials? Does he add dismount, Armor ignore?

Also maybe the OP does not know that any pet for PVP is nerfed against players nowdays for significant damage, and the debuffs from pets are more useful for PVP.
He needs to sit and think about what he needs to be up against in PVP, the debuffs he would use, dismount, debuff, etc, what templates he is likely to encounter in his opponents etc. And also his toons template is he a PVP Archer tamer etc. and complement his toons abilities with what the mare will be able to do.
PvP is more complicated for pets as it is now, due especially to the nerf of all PvP pets, and would be useful if some1 posts a guide for that, as there is none now, mostly because we tamers are mostly non-PVP oriented. Still a guide would be nice, and PVP IS a part of the game, as it has been for 20+ years.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Agree..But I think it is a good idea to post concerns about the taming PVP nerf, and also PVP pets.
Maybe one day the Devs will undo some of the damage they did to this form of PVP by nerfing it almost completely.
Possibly one could consider nox mage PP nightmare as a possibility for his pet : Max damage, Str, MR, give for now Only 1 special (AI?Dismount?Debuff of some type?), then give poison magic for now for relatively few points, then train poison to 100, then go back and put magery back for basically no cost. He will then not proc poison as the true melee poison skill, but will cast magery poison of high level. Necro mage NP, and magery mastery PP mares are being used with some success. PVP pet of any type sadly will not be a shining star, thanks to the mega nerf.
I think there should be a thread on PVP-geared pets even though we as tamers in general don't like it.
Problem is a lot of the PVP stuff is "proprietary" also regarding taming, and people shy away from sharing their info/experience. On the other hand we have fantastic PVP folks here that freely and openly share their pretty well founded ideas/experience/recommendations about template adjustments/stats/gear for just general PVP templates. Some of the nicest and most seasoned and experienced people in the game are PK/PVPers and they are not shy sharing their info.. (Whaaaat? did I say nicest? Well yes..They like this type of play, and it is part of the game after all..).:lame::offtopic::coco: