• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Metal Box / Strong Box

Porky

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
A weird thing happened when I bought a strong box the other day. When I purchased it, it said "strong box", then I brought it home and secured it and it still said "strong box'. But, now as of this morning, it says "metal box" instead of strong box. What happened?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends on what direction its facing. One holds maybe 25 items? Its been awhile. Its the same box, same artwork, just a different name.

Porky

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It holds 125 items. It is facing the same way it was when it said strong box. I think it was just yesterday or the day before when I secured it. It said strong box for at least a day, but today now it says metal box. I was trying to match all my other strong boxes, and when I found one that said strong box, I got it and secured it. Just changed names today or late last night sometime. weird.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just checked my own. It doesnt rename like it used to.

I know that some of these boxes came from houses falling... or they "do". Some came from something else, thus the different name.

Maybe the name B name is lost when its turned or the server resets? Just a theory.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It holds 125 items. It is facing the same way it was when it said strong box. I think it was just yesterday or the day before when I secured it. It said strong box for at least a day, but today now it says metal box. I was trying to match all my other strong boxes, and when I found one that said strong box, I got it and secured it. Just changed names today or late last night sometime. weird.
get a decorator tool and turn it and see if the name changes. may have to turn it twice.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IIRC

Strong boxes could be4 placed by a co-owner, "I wish to place a strong box". And it would hold 25 items for that co owner, only him. Beauty was it did NOT count against the house lockdowns. Sometimes, again, memory might be sketchy, when those houes fell, the strong box stayed and could be looted.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the 25 item boxes used to be ''house freind boxes'' back in the day were u could give a friend a box that held a massive 25 items to help em out if they didnt own a house

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A weird thing happened when I bought a strong box the other day. When I purchased it, it said "strong box", then I brought it home and secured it and it still said "strong box'. But, now as of this morning, it says "metal box" instead of strong box. What happened?
Strong Box must face east. Lock it down. Turn it to east, then retrieve it. The name will change to Strong Box. I just tested this on a Metal Box and it turned into a Strong Box. You can do the reverse too i.e. change Strong Box into a Metal Box.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure they lost their old name in today's game. I had both. And turning them (YEARS AGO) did change the name... but that was a very long time ago.

Was this before Tram?

I know, at one time, there was no such thing as lock-downs. Some rare items cant be locked down even today without being inside a bag or something. OR they used to be.

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure they lost their old name in today's game. I had both. And turning them (YEARS AGO) did change the name... but that was a very long time ago.

Was this before Tram?

I know, at one time, there was no such thing as lock-downs. Some rare items cant be locked down even today without being inside a bag or something. OR they used to be.
Hi, nope this is in Tram. Literally did it just now. I tried my other account to see if it was a fluke. Works fine. See pic. This has nothing to do with the house strong box. These are metal boxes I bought years ago. Strong Box.JPG Strong Box.JPG

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Haddy G.

Its just been SO many years since I saw this... I have no clue where I saw it last, because I have X many... and my friend has X many... its hard to keep track of stuff at time. I wish and wish they will do a "vendor search" for stuff in our own houses. hehe. I'm sure it will never happen. I totally KNOW I saw this inside my own collection of boxes. Its just, I never saw them "in place" as said above. Given to a friend or co-owner of a house. Must have still been before me. I only came to UO after Tram came. Thus, I was thinking it could be pre-Tram. You know. :)

Frankly, I love the gold boxes. I think we should have the ability to craft smaller metal boxes... named something different. Clearly, dye with plant dyes or pigments. I dont want to ruin the gold ones. No way! I also think its a horrible shame they didnt make the Commodity Deed Box more special. Its so easy to lose track of "normal" dyed boxes, not special "looking" like these gold boxes.

I'm also not sure if they still spawn when a house falls. A tiny house fell next to my friend's house, where I have my plant beds, and I accidently happened on a small collection of rubbish that was inside the house when it fell. It included a gold box. Seeing the rubbish post-fall was rubbish... less a gold box and a tall candelabra, you would figure the owner stripped everything of value yet left 2 items... 1 you would never want to abandon (the gold box).