• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

@Mesana, it's time to evaluate vendor fees

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The current system of player vendors actually discourages play on low population shards. Let's face it, the economy is what it is and high demand items, rightfully so, carry a large price tag. The problem is low population servers actually have a self-defeating system. Since the vendor costs are so high players are reluctant to have vendors. Players looking for items are finding it more and more difficult to shop on their home server if it's not Atlantic so they are forced to shard transfer. New & returning players have a more difficult time shopping for items since the system is not friendly and actually discourages player run vendors. Rework is needed.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vendors fees just need to be a percent taken at the time of sale. I'm thinking around 5% or less. As someone who doesn't have millions in the bank and trying to farm items worth more than I have to make more gold, I can't put those items on a vendor to sit because I can't afford the fees. And no, I'm not going to lower the price of an item because I can't afford a fee. I'd rather just sit on the item and wait until I see someone spamming in chat buying it and therefore bypass the fees and not going bankrupt waiting for an item to sell.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The current system of player vendors actually discourages play on low population shards. Let's face it, the economy is what it is and high demand items, rightfully so, carry a large price tag. The problem is low population servers actually have a self-defeating system. Since the vendor costs are so high players are reluctant to have vendors. Players looking for items are finding it more and more difficult to shop on their home server if it's not Atlantic so they are forced to shard transfer. New & returning players have a more difficult time shopping for items since the system is not friendly and actually discourages player run vendors. Rework is needed.
Agree..About time some1 voiced concern about this. The devs are assuming that the vendor keepers always have tons of $$ to keep feeding it to the vendors so they do not run and player loses precious items. The prices for keeping stuff on them is too high. So the vendor fees should be decreased. It is not worth having vendors and lose upwards from 10k - 100k times X even you have lots of $$ at your disposal, its a losing business deal. Especially now with the vendor search system in uo, improving this will be great, especially for the low pop shards...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes it should be that the fees for vendor use are at the point of sale, something like 5%. So for a 60 M legs of the insane tinker it will be like 300,000, for a 100 Mil EM event item it will be 5,000,000? Still lots of $ but maybe a diff. formula etc...Maybe a lesser number that 5%. Think of the exposure also with the new vendor search that does NOT look only at luna vendors but the entire shard (When it works correctly).

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like a giant waste of effort to adjust the vendor fees or adjust the way they work on certain dead shards. Adjusting the fees will not help revitalize the shards and honestly most of these shards just need to be merged. There are a handful of shards that should be shut down or merged with another server. Origin should be the first shard to be merged or shut down.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm going to agree.

The current system encourages all traders to move to Atlantic, and leave behind shards, not the end of the world in itself, don't mind losing those guys.

But it also only promotes the selling of high value items and nothing else in general chat.

If it was easier to be selling the low/medium valued items that people want, but cannot get hold of currently because vendors are de-incentivised to place them, it would really help the shards.

I agree with the taking of a straight 5% fee when sold. I don't think it can be that hard to change the calculation for vendor fee's, surely just 1 line of code.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems like a giant waste of effort to adjust the vendor fees or adjust the way they work on certain dead shards. Adjusting the fees will not help revitalize the shards and honestly most of these shards just need to be merged. There are a handful of shards that should be shut down or merged with another server. Origin should be the first shard to be merged or shut down.
Better yet let's shut down Atlantic instead. That way we can disperse that population into all the others.

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vendors fees just need to be a percent taken at the time of sale. I'm thinking around 5% or less. As someone who doesn't have millions in the bank and trying to farm items worth more than I have to make more gold, I can't put those items on a vendor to sit because I can't afford the fees. And no, I'm not going to lower the price of an item because I can't afford a fee. I'd rather just sit on the item and wait until I see someone spamming in chat buying it and therefore bypass the fees and not going bankrupt waiting for an item to sell.
I really like this ideal of taking the fee at point of sale. Surely this wouldn't be a difficult change and would really help to revitalize player vendors on smaller shards. Mesana, thoughts?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This has been discussed over and over again. Good idea, good concepts, would help the merchants on the small shards, but it seems the team wants to support the super mall known as Atlantic and keep the status quo...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Population redistribution... *chuckles*

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Link Vendor fee's to the ammount of Housing used per shard.
High population shards pay more than less populated then.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Low population shards came about from guild intervention... lets get real here.
Atlantic was promoted so much as the heart of UO by this guild and that it was the place to go to... its no wonder the rest of the shards started to empty out.
I will say I have seen a resurgent of players to many of the shards they came from as the "New" of Atlantic has wore off and returning players who want to stay on the more quieter shard.
Hunting being the major reason and the freedom of the lower population makes for a more desired play.
Shopping is a bit easer on Atlantic but as a shard shield user, the allure of Atlantic is slowly deteriorating.
Prime example was the invasion we just had...
I was on many of my shards that I have homes on... the amount of players that were fighting was surprisingly of good size.
I do hope that the rise in players on the major shards of old continues...
Don't get me wrong Atlantic might have served as a wake up call that we need to keep all shards working.
EJ just might be the catalyst to bring more life to the rest of the production shards.
Keep your fingers crossed that it does...
Vendor sales will come down to when you price items at the same level of Atlantic..
I have seen things on Atlantic nearly a 1/3 cheaper then whats being charged on say Chessy Pac or Napa.
You want sales at over priced items use the safes...

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and now for the other side.
I like to use vendors for storage. A high vendor fee discourages that kind of hoarding.

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With how often vs goes down, or when i search items and vs is up but my items are not on there. Bet your rooty poo candy rear end the kingdom still gets my fees...."taxation without representation" I shall take vengence on this tyranny...
*Sits back down; returns poo stiring stick into the drawer.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Low population shards came about from guild intervention... lets get real here.
Atlantic was promoted so much as the heart of UO by this guild and that it was the place to go to... its no wonder the rest of the shards started to empty out.
I will say I have seen a resurgent of players to many of the shards they came from as the "New" of Atlantic has wore off and returning players who want to stay on the more quieter shard.
Hunting being the major reason and the freedom of the lower population makes for a more desired play.
Shopping is a bit easer on Atlantic but as a shard shield user, the allure of Atlantic is slowly deteriorating.
Prime example was the invasion we just had...
I was on many of my shards that I have homes on... the amount of players that were fighting was surprisingly of good size.
I do hope that the rise in players on the major shards of old continues...
Don't get me wrong Atlantic might have served as a wake up call that we need to keep all shards working.
EJ just might be the catalyst to bring more life to the rest of the production shards.
Keep your fingers crossed that it does...
Vendor sales will come down to when you price items at the same level of Atlantic..
I have seen things on Atlantic nearly a 1/3 cheaper then whats being charged on say Chessy Pac or Napa.
The prices for some things on Atlantic are ridiculous : Runebooks empty 2.5 to 3 M, spellbooks for magery full, sold for millions? Jeez and I thought other shards had it bad..

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vendor upkeep fees are pretty much unique to UO from what I have seen. I have played dozens of mmo's both western & asian (both modern & 10+ yr old games), and none of them have upkeep fees. The upkeep fees are burdensome without adding a direct benefit to the community imo. When the game was thriving, there was no need to force people to log into the game to manage the vendor fees or "refresh" their houses - because we were all active then & wanted to be in the game everyday. These days (& probably for a decade now) game mechanics such as vendor upkeep fees, etc do not keep people interacting with the game. They simply do not use vendors anymore or whatever system that requires constant interaction. This is actually detrimental to the game. Instead of allowing people to use these options when they can afford the time, they do not participate any longer. Vendor upkeep fees need to be removed. One of the main reasons I do not use vendors for my 18 yrs of collected "treasures" is due to the current vendor upkeep mechanics. Vendors used to be a very valuable & used system to this game. All mmo's really need some kind of automated system to help the economy flourish. But the current one in UO is more of a hindrance than a help on a large number of shards. I play Great Lakes - one of the more populated shards. I rarely can find anything on the vendors these days except for items that I can easily get myself. It makes me wonder why bother ever collecting gold in game since I cannot ever find anything I want to buy.

If you must require that players pay you the game for the use of vendors, then charge a fee @ the time of sale. The fee should also be reasonable. 5 o 10%? I know several games that charge 30% to use the auction house. And that is silly stupid. People have stopped using those auction houses & those games are having the same problems UO is having with availability of items for sale.

Personally, I think it is unfair to charge anything. I acquired the items with my time in game. I bought the vendors, I spent my time to set them up & made my house useful for them - so why should I have to pay the game to sell my items to other people?

Laika

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
You aren't understanding the underlying reasons of why things might be more on a vendor on Chessy, Pac or Napa.

1. They will remain on the vendor longer, so they have to charge more to account for the lost revenue, compared to Atl.
2. If they price lower than Atl, people just buy to resell on atl... which does nothing to help the players on the actual server.
3. Higher opportunity cost of said item requiring the item be priced higher. Why farm x when farming y gets more.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Free endless transfers is the reason everything in on atlantic, it has nothing to do with vendors. Only thing that needs changing is the 175M cap per item, most stuff that is selling high end is over that amount. If anything raise the vendor fees to rid UO of the massively duped gold. People don't put stuff on vendors on low population shards cause you can sell it for at least five times as much on atl, and since they can use shard shields it doesn't cost them anything. Shard shields sent this game in a death spiral and it will never recover from it.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree that low pop shards have essentially nothing for sale. You can't even find full spellbooks. The vendor fees were there to discourage people pricing stuff at insanely high prices and just leaving it till it sold. It makes you price it reasonably. However, if it doesn't sell regularly - the vendor fees at any rate will eventually eat up your profits. On low pop shards it makes no sense to stock things that might take weeks to sell even at a reasonable price.

It also discourages people from using vendors like storage.

One way to combat this and still make it work for low pop shards is a set vendor percentage. Charge like 2% when you put it for sale and another 3% when it sells. Thats 5% gold sink and it won't matter if it takes 1 hour or 3 days to sell. If you want some additional vendor fees then charge something like 150gp per vendor per day regardless of items for sale. Then you get a penalty of placing something large that won't sell as you pay the 2% fee and you still have a daily small gold sink.

I agree with other posters - I have tons of powerscrolls to sell but I don't put them up because if they sit for a few days I lose lots of gold. I'd rather just wait for someone to spam they need it but vendoring would be useful for 24x7 access for other players to my items for sale.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making shard shields decorative would also solve the issue of OP has described.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Real answer is human greed.
I have had vendors on many low population shards for years..
Spell books, and things to get started in the game have sold very well, and I have seen no big gold charges.. but I don't sell rares or event items.
The object of the shields causing the riff is off base.. shields don't raid other shards EM events.. or buy up from native shards players what is dropped.. ether.
They are only a method of them moving.
The real guilty party is the players out to make that super pile of gold off things that should not be worth the price they sell at on Atlantic.
I say this much.. stop the EM event drops or make the items shard bound.. you want to see sales grow... and prices come down.. there is your answer.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have had vendors on many low population shards for years..
Spell books, and things to get started in the game have sold very well, and I have seen no big gold charges.. but I don't sell rares or event items.
The object of the shields causing the riff is off base.. shields don't raid other shards EM events.. or buy up from native shards players what is dropped.. ether.
They are only a method of them moving.
The real guilty party is the players out to make that super pile of gold off things that should not be worth the price they sell at on Atlantic.
I say this much.. stop the EM event drops or make the items shard bound.. you want to see sales grow... and prices come down.. there is your answer.
Fact: I have made many suits. I sell the 70 resist 100LRC for 800k. All 70s for 200k. I put 900k gold on the vendor. The vendor would fall in less than a month. The suits sell eventually but I have made no profit on them. It would be nice if I could put suits for new and returning players on a vendor. The fees prevent it. Search LS the only result you get when you type "all 70" is my vendor if I have a suit on it.

Take the fees when the item is sold!

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
some changes could help the game with vender fee changes
- new and returning players could actually buy things they might need or want. long time players are losing interest because nothing sells.
- people lose money on small populated shards with venders, not much sells, so there are few if any venders.
another issue is cant find repair deeds on some shards. new/returning players will probably just quit the game if they cant repair armor lol
other changes needed:
- make ems drops at one to 3 only. should be only allow one char for events. get rid of the follow, this would help make the multi clients actually have to control their chars. it really is a joke watching 5 or more follow each other with buffs, heals, ect... many recent game additions and/or changes seem to have been geared toward multi clienting. these multi users have no need to dealt with or interact with new/returning players or any other player because they can do anything in the game and get 5xs the drops compared to a one account user. why would any one account user stay in the game?
- i truly feel until cheating is really dealt with, none of this matters. cheating destroys the game more than anything else. it has wiped out most honest players and will continue to do so. just my opinions

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Example just walked by Luna stable.

upload_2017-11-26_14-29-11.png

I would have given him a suit from my vendor but Don was there so I deferred. He took him to his Rune Library, will outfit him and ask him questions and answer his questions.

No greed involved. Just a poor system for selling things that will sit on a vendor till needed.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Simplest way is a straight % of sale so say 5%. (could be any %)

Put item on vendor, it can sit for however long but if you take it OFF the vendor or it SELLS, 5% of the sale price is deducted.

Basically if I sell a bag of sending for 60,000 I know I am going to pay 3,000 gps in fees irrespective of how long the item sits. If I remove an item off the vendor I still pay 5% (unless it is done within the first 6-12 hrs of being placed on a vendor to allow for price corrections/mistakes, change of mind to sell something etc) . Although I will have the option for repricing (see below).

RULES:

There would need to be some behind the scenes code to ensure vendors weren't used for excess storage but it could be something like:

After the first 6-12 hours where you can remove items for 0 charge, you would be able to 'reprice' an item with a right click to 'reprice' so if something doesn't sell at the price you put on it you can reduce the price or increase it if needs be. This would need to be in 1-10% increments per reprice so that persons don't reprice an item from 100m to 1gp and then 'buy' it as a way to remove items. Repricing can be done once per 24 hour day.

An increase or decrease on a repriced item would automatically calculate the 5% at 'sale price' ie when 'buy' is selected and be charged instantly on SALE. So if you had a bag of sending on for 60,000 and repriced it to 54,000 and it 'sold' at that new price (ie 10% less than original) you would pay 2,700 in fees.

You would require a 24 hour delay from repricing until such time as the fee deducted was recalculated for items just removed and NOT sold off the vendor. (This to avoid persons using vendors to store stuff and then just dropping the price before removal from the vendor to avoid fees). If they want to risk having their item sit below retail value for 24 hrs or longer then so be it.) If you decrease the price then the item must sit on the vendor for 24 hours before you can remove it or you pay 5% on the original price, because you can only reprice by 10% you won't be able to drop something 99% and then remove or buy it in one day.

If I put on an item for 150,000,000 I will pay 7,500,000 in fees and If i try to drop the price before removal off the vendor I take the risk of someone buying that item for 135,000,000 the first day after 10% reduced, 125,500,000 after 2 days (20%) etc instead of 150 mil so doubt I will want to do that. It would also take 10 days to reduce it in maximum 10% increments to avoid fees giving buyers the opportunity to get the item at a major discount if you were trying to work the system.
BENEFITS:

• The above system means that the vendor fee is 5% irrespective of how long an item sits.
  • You have the ability to remove or reprice an item for 0 charge within 6-12 hours of putting the item on a vendor.
  • You have the ability to reprice an item by 1-10% each day (up or down)
  • You have the abiity to remove an item at anytime if you wish to pay the 5% fee, although if you reprice and remove an item within the 24 hr cooloff period you will pay the fee based on the price prior to repricing.
  • The system will be difficult to abuse by 'storers' as it charges fees on removal of items with limitations on how you can manipulate the prices for sales, ie only 10% per day.
Sadly doubt any changes will be made as this topic has come up time and time again and nothing has been done to change it. One can only hope though!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly Pawain.
Don is one of us who cant see a new guy beg for what should be all over the place.
I admire you both for the action to help a new guy, we need to work to keep our new players.
I cant tell you how many suits of armor, LRC , Spellbooks, tours and gold to help out.

I have told many of our friends to get the guilds to think about putting up reasonable priced beginner items, tools , suits, etc... even fill a few pet sellers in Magencia.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna has been asked a few times about the cost of vendors on high items..
I do not think she was very keen on the idea of dropping fees.
With the break the dev are on from the Meet and Greets with the holidays here as well its not like you can ask them about it ether.
Remember December through first week of January the dev go on holiday mode and are not in the office..
This does not mean the Dark Lady will not be haunting the game in her own way.

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Put item on vendor, it can sit for however long but if you take it OFF the vendor or it SELLS, 5% of the sale price is deducted.

Basically if I sell a bag of sending for 60,000 I know I am going to pay 3,000 gps in fees irrespective of how long the item sits. If I remove an item off the vendor I still pay 5% (unless it is done within the first 6-12 hrs of being placed on a vendor to allow for price corrections/mistakes, change of mind to sell something etc) . Although I will have the option for repricing (see below).

RULES:

There would need to be some behind the scenes code to ensure vendors weren't used for excess storage but it could be something like:

After the first 6-12 hours where you can remove items for 0 charge, you would be able to 'reprice' an item with a right click to 'reprice' so if something doesn't sell at the price you put on it you can reduce the price or increase it if needs be. This would need to be in 1-10% increments per reprice so that persons don't reprice an item from 100m to 1gp and then 'buy' it as a way to remove items. Repricing can be done once per 24 hour day.

An increase or decrease on a repriced item would automatically calculate the 5% at 'sale price' ie when 'buy' is selected and be charged instantly on SALE. So if you had a bag of sending on for 60,000 and repriced it to 54,000 and it 'sold' at that new price (ie 10% less than original) you would pay 2,700 in fees.

You would require a 24 hour delay from repricing until such time as the fee deducted was recalculated for items just removed and NOT sold off the vendor. (This to avoid persons using vendors to store stuff and then just dropping the price before removal from the vendor to avoid fees). If they want to risk having their item sit below retail value for 24 hrs or longer then so be it.) If you decrease the price then the item must sit on the vendor for 24 hours before you can remove it or you pay 5% on the original price, because you can only reprice by 10% you won't be able to drop something 99% and then remove or buy it in one day.

If I put on an item for 150,000,000 I will pay 7,500,000 in fees and If i try to drop the price before removal off the vendor I take the risk of someone buying that item for 135,000,000 the first day after 10% reduced, 125,500,000 after 2 days (20%) etc instead of 150 mil so doubt I will want to do that. It would also take 10 days to reduce it in maximum 10% increments to avoid fees giving buyers the opportunity to get the item at a major discount if you were trying to work the system.
BENEFITS:

• The above system means that the vendor fee is 5% irrespective of how long an item sits.
  • You have the ability to remove or reprice an item for 0 charge within 6-12 hours of putting the item on a vendor.
  • You have the abiity to remove an item at anytime if you wish to pay the 5% fee, although if you reprice and remove an item within the 24 hr cooloff period you will pay the fee based on the price prior to repricing.
  • The system will be difficult to abuse by 'storers' as it charges fees on removal of items with limitations on how you can manipulate the prices for sales, ie only 10% per day.
Sadly doubt any changes will be made as this topic has come up time and time again and nothing has been done to change it. One can only hope though!
Exactly this!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

RULES:

BENEFITS:

I've got to drop my argument vs dropping vendor fees, customer demand just isn't there. Hopefully the Devs include something to stop the mega-greedy from jacking up their prices so high arrows start going for a platinum each though.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The prices for some things on Atlantic are ridiculous : Runebooks empty 2.5 to 3 M, spellbooks for magery full, sold for millions? Jeez and I thought other shards had it bad..
That's why at Captain Lucky's Vendors on Legends we always maintain low inscription prices with the quality and quantity customers deserve! 20 charge runebooks 1K ~ 100 charge runebooks 5k ~ full spellbooks 10K! Shop smart, shop Lucky's Mart! :D We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's why at Captain Lucky's Vendors on Legends we always maintain low inscription prices with the quality and quantity customers deserve! 20 charge runebooks 1K ~ 100 charge runebooks 5k ~ full spellbooks 10K! Shop smart, shop Lucky's Mart! :D We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate....
I once bought a runebooks and spell books from Luckys Mart. They had great customer service at quality prices!

@Capt. Lucky do I get the gold now? :D

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ether there is something wrong with your tailor or mine kiddo... a 70 suit un imbued Lily does pretty easy. But I will say I do keep my tailors supply of runic kits in stock.
As for spell book's full atlas and the other Magery bits of flosam... my vendor is having a hell of a time keeping her bags full. They empty so fast.
But then again I don't charge a arm leg and foot or the first born child ether.... a basic suit with or without LRC LMC etc... it a hell of a lot better then the beginner suit they get!
Don't over think it.
I think that is a real reason you all are going off the bend over... you expect to make bank on things you got exactly like Atlantic sales... your not on Atlantic!
Its no wonder you do not sell jack at the prices you do... things a good deal of the time your a mill or 10 over the Atlantic price.. and your pancakes about vendor cost.....
AWWW poor baby... not
I can see if you made every stich and spent tons of resources to do so... from scratch...
But most of this junk your selling is EM drops or Prize drops of champs, hunting, questing etc.
800k for a 70 suit!!! god where can Lily make that kind of gold!! I give new players or returning guys that stuff FREE.
Oh and gold outside full spell books and rune books... things they really do need.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ether there is something wrong with your tailor or mine kiddo... a 70 suit un imbued Lily does pretty easy. But I will say I do keep my tailors supply of runic kits in stock.
As for spell book's full atlas and the other Magery bits of flosam... my vendor is having a hell of a time keeping her bags full. They empty so fast.
But then again I don't charge a arm leg and foot or the first born child ether.... a basic suit with or without LRC LMC etc... it a hell of a lot better then the beginner suit they get!
Don't over think it.
I think that is a real reason you all are going off the bend over... you expect to make bank on things you got exactly like Atlantic sales... your not on Atlantic!
Its no wonder you do not sell jack at the prices you do... things a good deal of the time your a mill or 10 over the Atlantic price.. and your pancakes about vendor cost.....
AWWW poor baby... not
I can see if you made every stich and spent tons of resources to do so... from scratch...
But most of this junk your selling is EM drops or Prize drops of champs, hunting, questing etc.
800k for a 70 suit!!! god where can Lily make that kind of gold!! I give new players or returning guys that stuff FREE.
Oh and gold outside full spell books and rune books... things they really do need.
This is what I'm selling on Balhae for suits:

- 1000 gp for a 102% LRC gargoyle suit made of spined leather.
- 25,000 gp for a 102% LRC gargoyle suit with 84/70/70/70/73 resists and 540 luck
- 75,000 gp for a 102% LRC gargoyle suit with 74/73/70/70/75 resists, 3 mana regen, 21 mana increase, 14 lower mana cost, and 540 luck.
- 25,000 gp for a 102% LRC human suit with 74/70/65/68/71 resists and 540 luck
- 50,000 gp for a 102% LRC human suit with 77/73/60/74/70 resists, 3 mana regen, 21 mana increase, and 540 luck.
- 150,000 gp for a 102% LRC human suit with 80/70/62/69/71 resists, 3 mana regen, 21 mana increase, 32 lower mana cost, and 540 luck.
- 250 gp each for arcane clothing pieces
- 100 gp each for 18% LRC hats
- 500 gp each for barbed leather armor pieces each with 18% LRC, mana regen 1, 90 luck
- 500 gp each for valorite or barbed leather armor pieces each with 4 hit point increase, 7 stamina increase, 7 mana increase, and 90 luck
- 50,000 gp for a barbed leather gargoyle armor suit with 85/85/71/70/70 resists, 540 luck, 24 lower mana cost, 6 mana regen, and 6 stamina regen
- 25,000 gp for a dull copper human armor suit with 107/75/59/69/73 resists, 6 mana regen, 6 stamina regen, and lower requirements

These are the scribed goods I sell on Balhae:

- 3000 gp for runic atlases
- 1000 gp for fully charged 20-charge rune book
- 7500 gp for full magery spellbook
- 2000 gp for full necro and mysticism spellbooks
- 500 gp for BOD book
- 10,000 gp for bag of 20 scroll binders
- 75,000 gp for a runic atlas with 36 cities or a runic atlas with 28 dungeons
- 25,000 gp for a rune book of Trammel cities or Trammel dungeons

Other stuff I sell on Balhae:
- 25 gp for blacksmithing, tailoring, tinkering, carpentry, fletching, glassblowing, or masonry repair deeds or blacksmithing, tailoring, tinkering or carpentry alteration deeds
- 250 gp for most house add-ons (25,000 gp for soul forge or 10,000 gp for arcane circle)
- 500 gp for exceptional musical instruments
- 2500 gp for blackrock stew
- 500 gp for 5 seeds each to grow orange petals or green thorns and some of the more popular plain plants
- 5000 gp for runed switch
- 5000 gp for butchers war cleaver
- 10,000 gp for 10 powder of translocation, 50,000 gp for fully charge bag of sending, 75,000 for fully charged pet summoning ball
- 5000 gp for natural dyes, 25,000-50,000 gp for the rarer naturalist quest hues, 500,000 to 750,000 gp for the dyes from alchemy, cooking or inscription BODs

What sells the most? Scroll binders, spellbooks, blacksmithing and tinkering repair deeds, sending bags, powder of translocation. natural dyes in the rare hues from naturalist quest or from doing BODs. I could probably also sell dragon barding deeds pretty quickly but for the fact that I just can't keep up with the mining to keep them in stock. Same for powder of fortification. Everything else pretty much doesn't sell or sells only rarely. I really don't think I'm charging outrageous prices. I've pretty much accepted that the vendor fees have eaten up most of the profit on all of my vendors other than the one with natural dyes because the rare dyes sell out the day I put them out. So the dye vendor pretty much subsidizes the vendor fees on everything else because Balhae just doesn't have much of a population these days or what it has is not new players who need basic items.

Edited to add: If I run into new players on Balhae or someone just standing outside eyeing the vendors, I gladly give them suits and whatever else I can for free, often with some old holiday or anniversary items to boot. But that just doesn't happen very often and I'm not always around when most of the Korean and Japanese players are around. Plus conversations are often slow because I don't speak either language and they are doing a yeoman's job of translating all my English, formulating a reply, and then translating that into English to answer me.

Last edited:

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest introducing items a (neckless/earrings/etc...) on uo store to equip the vendors with in order to reduce their fees by 50%

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've pretty much accepted that the vendor fees have eaten up most of the profit on all of my vendors other than the one with natural dyes because the rare dyes sell out the day I put them out. So the dye vendor pretty much subsidizes the vendor fees on everything else because Balhae just doesn't have much of a population these days or what it has is not new players who need basic items.
This has been my house name since 2009. It started as plants, petals and more.

upload_2017-11-27_18-24-30.png

My plant resources have funded my UO game.

The system is broken if you cant put items on a vendor that cost less than 1M if they sit for a period of time.

I have seen a Mosaic of Helluzz sit on a vendor for over a year priced at 10M. That cost a lot of gold to hold it there until it sold.

Vendor fees are why you cant find specific items that are not needed daily. LS does have spellbooks tho.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

RULES:

BENEFITS:

Yup! This makes real sense! I have resisted putting up vendors because I can't afford the costs. This would be more than adequate for me.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Simplest way is a straight % of sale so say 5%.

You should have just stopped right there. Everything you said after that just made my brain hurt. :)

This needs to be changed to a tax on sale. I realize the daily charge made sense in a role playing scenario when UO was new and **** was serious, but let's make some QoL adjustments so it's enjoyable to play the game.

* If you want more gold sinks ask BS to put on their thinking caps and create some, or just take some of the great ideas from here that have been offered up in the past.

** If you really think this will be used to increase hoarding - then maybe they should just increase the housing limits by 500%... Technology today is a little different than it was in 1997 - each shard *should* be able to handle a few hundred million items without pooping the bed (assuming there has been any improvement in the UO architecture in the last two decades)

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe 2 modes on vendors when you setup the contract.
1. Is a Straight fee (5%) on sale, but it uses up house storage. So players can't just get extra free storage on homes.
2. Doesn't use house storage but charges you daily percentage. (Current Method).

Gives players the option to pick their poison. Accommodates Atlantic and dead servers, Doesn't add extra load to the servers as far as more items in homes than currently.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest introducing items a (neckless/earrings/etc...) on uo store to equip the vendors with in order to reduce their fees by 50%
The Merchant's Trinkets do this, but they don't last very long and the fee reduction is only 10% or 5%.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Vendor fees are a shard killer, with low population shards mostly just not offering up items making those shards far less desirable. I'm sure Broadsword is concerned about one issue. It needs to be simple and it needs to not be a free storage scam. Okay, that's 2 issues lol. Do that and you have a good case. Hammering commerce as a gold sink is a horrible way to do it. When the world was new and all the shards were packed it was a viable system, but not now. In my travels to Atlantic I notice even their vendor selection is no where near what it once was. It's not the easiest thing to get a grip on but ignoring it isn't the answer. It's a serious problem that needs to be dealt with in a timely manner. Either deal with vendor fees or make shard transfer shields available to everyone so there's a universal market. Perhaps make it so I could do a vendor search on Legends and be able to buy something on Atlantic and have it delivered to me sorta thing. In that case it would help Legends when Atlantic players saw a good deal also. At least then it would be a fair system to everyone. I had to harp in on this cause I've been saying vendor fees have been a problem for years.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm working on a Google spreadsheet that shows whether certain basic items are available on a particular shard and what their lowest price is on that shard, as well as how many SoTs, SoAs, power and stat scrolls are for sale on the shard. Hopefully will have it ready for viewing by tomorrow or Thursday.