• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mene's Atelier:The fantastic world of town-scaping in Ultima Online -.Part 1 - The "Fryre Uk" Theme - House designs for a Nordic village or town.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A few years ago, I started writing "Tales from the Blue Chevalier" on the Ultima Online Bibliothek - a German forum for Ultima Online. The whole thing soon developed into a somewhat larger project for me, which I still enjoy a lot up till today. When at some point the game offered us the possibility to establish so-called "Player-Towns", this was of course the found food for me as a passionate house builder.

During the long time I spent in this game, I also got to know role-playing among other things. Soon, and also to have a framework for the small stories, a whole series of small themed houses were created from the suggestion of another PC game, the Anno series (UBI Soft), in which the action occurring in the stories takes place.

The location of the village in the southern jungle at the Cape of Heroes, with a view of the city of Jhelom, made it an ideal place to set up a tavern and let your imagination run wild while writing. In addition, the game revived the seafaring romance through "High Seas" - for me as a North German, who loves coast and sea very much, the ideal starting point to start something new after 14 years of Ultima at that time. And not only there. This game world is big enough to let your imagination run wild somewhere else, too. *smiles*

The cottages that provide the framework for the "Westcliff Stories" can all be found in this thread here . But that is not the concern of this thread.

Based on the recent house contest, where the design of my big Methalle won so surprisingly that it really shocked me and knocked me off my chair. It doesn't often happen to me that I have to cry with joy, but here it was just like that - especially because I hardly expected that this house would win among the yes - but partly fierce competition. To those who have supported me here so unknown with their voting, I can not say thank you enough.

And for all of you, who might be sad now, that you can't convert your castle, because there is a tree in it or you only have a small customizable plot, I give you this thread now.

Here are the designs inside for the mead-hall - all in a "slimmed down" version as well as of some small, also for craftsmen themed cottages. Build in a time where no castle and keep plots exists :D - only 18 x 18. And since I'm also very interested in archaeology, where often a lot of imagination comes into play, since we just didn't live in those times and don't really know the truth of how it was, only our own imagination and fantasy can revive those times, based on what archaeology has already found about them - on the so-called hall houses - or longhouses. One furnished oneself with what one had and absolutely also needed. The rest was stored in large boxes. Therefore, also in my designs the decoration is kept very sporadic. The men went on war and booty raids, and the women tended and guarded the house and protect the children.

So they were - Vikings, Germanics, Teutons and Northmen - and of course their warlike women. If you know movies about Vikings - "Vikings" - a TV series about the life of Ragnar Lothbrok and of Lagertha, the shield-maid, you have a good comparison here, because also Michael Hirst, the producer of this series tries to be approximately historical. Of course, there is a lot of fantasy involved there as well. Peter Jackson and his film adaptation about Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" looks with the "Golden Hall of Edoras - Meduseld" here at the sagas and legends of the skalds (Bards), which were fortunately written down. But I didn't want to call my hall like that - so I took "Heorot" - from the Saga of Beowulf, Grendel and King Hrothgar.

Wiki page on the subject of Heorot
Blogpost on Heorot and Meduseld

That's how it is. Fantasy steals from archeology, and archeology cannot do without fantasy. By the way.....
That Vikings should have ever worn horns helmets, or Teutons is a real myth.... it has never been proven, so let's leave it at nose helmets *GGG*.

In this sense have fun looking and ..... Skål !

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last edited:

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So this is Heorot, winner of the Publish 111 House Contest , and his little but older brother - The Nordic Mead Hall

Attachments

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
*Sigh*

If only my German was good enough to read some of these stories.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dear @Stinky Pete

under the first post is a link to a very very good translator : DeepL
www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I tested this last week with voice from japan and what shall I say... me who never thought I would be able to communicate with our japanese friends here makes conversation.

I put my german in and let it translate to japan, and voice make the same with his language - he translated japan to german. This tool is somewhat so genius.....
try it :D

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mene (DF) Are you going enter a keep in next keep event I have a cast and keep side by side on the water would love to add that next to it

Maith Ceol

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Your design is amazing! You can tell there was a lot of thought behind it and yet, it isn't just a passion project that didn't take other's needs into consideration. I have to say out of all the custom castle designs, this is the ONE that makes me sad I don't have a castle. Great job and thank you for sharing all of the story and design information!

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dear @Stinky Pete

I tested this last week with voice from japan and what shall I say... me who never thought I would be able to communicate with our japanese friends here makes conversation.

I put my german in and let it translate to japan, and voice make the same with his language - he translated japan to german. This tool is somewhat so genius.....
I've found most translators to be quite terrible. I did some futzing with this one though, and it's probably one of the better ones out there. I wouldn't know, obviously, because I don't know what the original message said. It does produce sentences that I can read, which is better than a lot of them.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've found most translators to be quite terrible. I did some futzing with this one though, and it's probably one of the better ones out there.
I work as a translator on Upwork to earn some money on the side, but also when I need to translate something at my "real" job, I often use DeepL. It is a particularly intelligent translation tool, a joy to use, highly recommendable.

voice

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Dear @Stinky Pete

Es hat viel Spaß gemacht, mit Mene zu reden.
Es ist erstaunlich, dass sie vom Japanischen ins Deutsche konvertieren kann.
Bitte kommen Sie wieder und unterhalten Sie uns mit Ihrem wunderbaren Gebäude.

It was a lot of fun talking to Mene.
It's amazing that she can convert from Japanese to German.
Please come back and entertain us with your wonderful building.

meneと話すのはとても楽しかったです。
日本語からドイツ語への変換ができるなんてすごいですね。
また、素敵な建物で私たちを楽しませてください。

Abschließend gratuliere ich Ihnen zu Ihrer Auswahl!

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I should have known better than to ask English speaking about translation programs.
There are certainly excellent engineers, researchers and IT developers all over the world, but when you look at where the company is based - namely in good old Kölle am Rhein (Cologne), and where the company founder - although not German by name, studied at the University of Paderborn, then that somehow tells me everything again. Isn't it said that the best and most thorough workmanship comes from Germany? *doesn't want to brag about it, but has to grin*.

Caerbannoc

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Always nice to see homes like this! I might just have to use this as some inspiration for an 18x18 I'm working on now!!!

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Caerbannoc

Go for it :) Once you understand that you don't necessarily have to build a small plot into a "box", you're welcome to use this as inspiration here.

A small house on a plot doesn't take away the existing lockdowns - lockdowns usually take away the deco and whatever else "crap" I bunker in my boxes. But when I have the urge to really but really display every item, of course I can't get past the "rack and display" approach. That this is not necessarily aesthetically pleasing and beautiful to look at, but sometimes really ugly and "eye cancer" causes, you do not need to argue - I then always say - I personally do not have to live in such a house - here in the game.

So Oki we continue with small houses. The roofs are sometimes a bit tricky ;), but with a little practice and trial and error, you eventually get the hang of it.
It's just important to remember that you can only switch up to 6 times on each side of the roof. If you really want to build gable roofs, you also have to adapt your base area for load-bearing walls accordingly.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last edited: