• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Memory Leak

H

Helfgrim

I don't know how to evaluate to say for certain but this is what I am experiencing. I log in and the client loads takes 30 seconds, then I can play fine for 20-30 mins.; at which time the client and anything else running on my system locks up so bad I have to reboot my computer. I've repeated this same sequence of events 6 times tonight and its the same outcome, play, lockup, reboot.

There isn't a specific thing I am doing other than being logged in. I started by setting up my interface, then did some exploring to see the terrain and finally gave up testing the chat system with a guildmate. The lockups happened in Tokuno near the Sake fountain, in yew, near yew waterfalls, on Malas, so its not location specific.

System Specs:
Intel P4 3.2ghz (2cpu's)
1022mb ram
Raedon ATI X700 128mb vid card
SB Audigy sound
dx9c
all new drivers

C

Cloak&Dagger

I have noticed something similar to this. Have not pin pointed it yet tho, still working on that.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the last year or two, I've had a theory that when you log on with characters that have a skill total over a certain level, the server bumps that character way down the "communication priority" list. You can get GGS gains, but the server ignores the character for purposes of "luck," "arti receipt" and "earned" skill gains for the first 20-30 minutes.

Then, sometime around the 20 minute mark after log-in, the server starts "paying attention" to the character and incorporating its true attributes into various calculations that affect stuff like loot quality and skill gain.

My idea is JUST A THEORY, though, and based strictly on what I've noticed with logging in lots of different characters with varying skill levels on many different servers and taking them out and doing lots of different things with them. I often just can't shake the feeling that they act like old cars (or old people!) that need a good warmup period before they start running smoothly and until they hit that point, all their wheezing, muttering, mumbling and grumbling just gets ignored.

:D

P

pgcd

I don't know how to evaluate to say for certain but this is what I am experiencing. I log in and the client loads takes 30 seconds, then I can play fine for 20-30 mins.; at which time the client and anything else running on my system locks up so bad I have to reboot my computer. I've repeated this same sequence of events 6 times tonight and its the same outcome, play, lockup, reboot.

There isn't a specific thing I am doing other than being logged in. I started by setting up my interface, then did some exploring to see the terrain and finally gave up testing the chat system with a guildmate. The lockups happened in Tokuno near the Sake fountain, in yew, near yew waterfalls, on Malas, so its not location specific.

System Specs:
Intel P4 3.2ghz (2cpu's)
1022mb ram
Raedon ATI X700 128mb vid card
SB Audigy sound
dx9c
all new drivers
Helfgrim, check usersettings.xml (somewhere around your documents folder) - there's an option called MinFreeSystemMemory that lets you specify the memory that should be left alone by the client, perhaps you can try increasing that.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak and I talked about this alot last night. Some systems are not being hit by this ghostly "leak" ... which means it cannot be a real memory leak. HOWEVER, there is, apparently something going on! What pgcd mentioned, I believe that is what my husband did on his system to resolve the issue.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Little bit of info on what I am running and *not* getting hit with this. AMD Sempron 3100+, 766 RAM, 1861 Virtual Memory, GeForce 6200 (unsupported vid. card).

When running 2D, Vent, ICQ and an open web page, I am running about 60% CPU, 687 Page File useage.

When running SA, Vent, and ICQ, I am running 35% - 40% CPU unless I am in more intensive battle (say, the citadel) then it goes up to about 60% CPU. Either way, Page File useage is exactly 1008. When we got real intense in Travesty with the whole "rug" covered with fire fields, a couple EV's, GD chomping, and and archer all on screen, I ran about 80% - 100% CPU useage ... but only ever dipped into the Page File a tiny big (up to 1010 MB).

The entire time I was smooth, other than a known issue of freezing just the moment before dying.

G

Grumm

You listed 1022MB ram. You sure that is right? If you have 1GB ram, it should be 1024MB. May be nothing but what can it hurt to check. I assume you have 2 512MB sticks. See if one is reading 510MB. Like I said, it may be nothing, but one of your sticks could be bad.