• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] Melee Penalty

Fernadious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello, Thinking of actually making a garg character since they fixed throwing after a year since skill went out. But...

Anyone know the exact melee penalty on throwing? I mean as in toe to toe with the enemy.

I see in UO Stratics and UO.com that in Close Quarters Combat
Being too close to a target would normally cause ineffective throws. However, Swordsmanship skill can compensate for this, with Legendary skill even giving a slight bonus.
Although in UOguide i see
Even though they may be meant to be thrown, these weapons all have sharp, mean edges on them - perfect for catching an unsuspecting melee fighter off guard. A player’s Dexterity and throwing skill equal to Grandmaster or higher can compensate for the hit chance penalty. Close quarters combat with a throwing weapon will no longer require you to have the swordsmanship skill to negate hit chance penalty.
So, anyone actually know how much is the HCI penalty and what skill actually negates it?

Thanks in advance.

K

King Frankie

I think you have a 10% penelty regardless your skill but afaik you can always stack the hci higher wich should comensate for the loss. And the 10% loss is not that huge considering the defence of the target i assume HLD woould take care of that. Make sure you have both throwing and swords thou.

:heart:

Fernadious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, found it after research in old publishes. Seems in publish 66 that no longer appears on UO.com had these Throwing Changes:

Close Quarters Combat: A player’s dexterity and throwing skill equal to Grandmaster or higher can compensate for the hit chance penalty. Close quarters combat with a throwing weapon will no longer require you to have the swordsmanship skill to negate hit chance penalty.
Shield Penalties: Player’s with no skill points in the Parry Skill will now have a minimum chance to hit.

So throwing can be used in close combat with high dex + GM+ throwing skill.

Thread Closed. :)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just finished a gargoyle dexer the other day.

I am really unimpressed. I feel like I miss much more than I do with a human dexer, char is 120 swords and 45 hci.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lynk , did you use mace&shield glasses on your gargoyle? There is a chance they are still bugged and the hld is not working.
I do run my gargoyle with 120 macing/fencing sometimes, 50 hci and hld on weapon and have no problem hitting anything, against the things with high wrestle clear better then my sampire. But i can only talk about pvm.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lynk , did you use mace&shield glasses on your gargoyle? There is a chance they are still bugged and the hld is not working.
I do run my gargoyle with 120 macing/fencing sometimes, 50 hci and hld on weapon and have no problem hitting anything, against the things with high wrestle clear better then my sampire. But i can only talk about pvm.
No, I used the folded steel glasses. HLD is on one of my weapons.

Part of it may be to me not being used to how the flying animations all work. I installed the EC last night. I'm going to set up macros and try to play the gargoyle in the EC, maybe I'll have better results.