• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Melee Char

T

Trevorne

Hi everyone,
I have mostly been playing a Tame/Mage.
I would like to try out a Melee Char now and see how that is.

I have only been to Doom one time but I didnt seem to do very well as mage. It was probally cause I really didnt know what was going on though (why do people use Earth Elementals and mostly just cast fire ball?). When I was at Doom I noticed some prety cool melee chars that were staying alive prety well against the mobs. I die in like 3 hits lol.

I am interested in a build that can survive big hits at Doom but can also solo well.
Any suggestions?
I really am not sure since I have mostly played Tame/Mage.

Thanks for any advice.

J

Jason619

check the warriors, samurais, or the pallidans forum. Lots of templates there.

T

Trevorne

Whats better? I really dont know where to start as far as what melee "Class".
I know there isnt a "Best" choice but whats stronger at what?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm using this template for Doom : Paladin.

He got double healing and Cure ways with both Chivalry spells and Healing with bandages, also Enemy of one and other spells are nice to get some extra damage.

Here is my Pure Melee Fighter.
He does cost alot to make with the + 20 Powerscrolls.

Here is my Samurai.

Samurai's can do a great deal of damage with lightning strike and when Honoring your opponent.

Or my Hybride: Dexer/Archer.

Maybe some of them get you a idea what you would like to do.

C

Clextor

As Frarc said...

I have a melee Paladin with Healing. He does okay on his own, but if he is with another melee fighter that has healing, they can x-heal twice as fast as healing themselves. Its great and very satisfying to see/feel the teamwork.

As to the Earth Ellies, they don't get bothered by spells since they are made of "earth". Just have to keep them healed.

The fireballs, I am not as sure about. But, I suspect that Doom monsters (as a whole) are weak in fire resist. I would have to look up each monster in the Stratics monster list to determine what is the best spell to cast against each individual monster in Doom. Monsters do have weaknesses, and that can really help.

Hope this all helps,
Clex

G

Darknight Creeper: Weakest resists in physical and fire attacks.

Flesh Renderer: Weakest resists in fire and cold attacks.

Impaler: Weakest resists in fire and poison attacks.

Shadow Knight: Weakest resists in fire and energy attacks.

Abyssmal Horror: Weakest resist in physical attacks.

Dark Father: Equal in all resists, so any type of attack will do the same relative damage to him.

Many mages use earth elementals because of the physical damage they do in three out of the six above, plus you can keep commanding them to attack when a bard provokes or does area peace, which can send EV's wandering around twiddling their thumbs. Once you have the earth elementals on the target, you can cast fireball almost non-stop without running out of mana, provided you have meditation or lots of mana regen on your armor/equipment.

Tamer/Mages used to be great in Doom, but I think they are at a disadvantage now. When the Dark Father and Lich Lords were given necro spells and target switching, it made it impossible for tamers to stay close to their pets to heal them, without becoming a target themselves. Healing them with magery is not very efficient, unless you have someone helping you keep your pet alive. Melee and mage characters can load up on items that can increase the damage they do to the mini bosses and Dark Father. Tamers can't.

Frarc has most of the melee templates covered. The only other things I can suggest is to check the UO Tamer Forum to see what they recommend for a Tamer/Mage in Doom, or maybe change your template to a pure mage. If you have a soulstone, or soulstone fragment, you can store your taming skills there. Either way, good luck!

T

Trevorne

Thanks for the advice.

The pure fighter template looks to expensive for me so Im thinking either the Samurai or the Paladin.
Is there a reason why Paladin use Mace?

Whats the main difference between the two templates as far as who can do what?
Thanks

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can use any weapon skill instead of mace for a Paladin but for Doom i love being a Macer. There is a Demon Slayer Mace called The Exiler. It dispels those Nasty Revants while your fighting against the Dark Fathers. Thats why its very nice to have a Macer in Doom.

The Main Difference is that Paladins use Tithing and Mana for there Spells and Samurai's Only use Mana.

Samurai's Spells (or Move's) are mainly based on doing damage. While Paladin Spells also have defensive spells (Heal/Cure/ Remove Curse/Ressurect)

Also Samurai's best need to use 2 handed weapons all the time and have Parry skill. They Parry with there 2 handed weapons best.
As you can see my Paladin don't have Parry skill.That made room to add Focus skill so he regenerate mana faster.