• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Meet And Greet Napa Valley - July 17th 2017

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Larisa submitted a new Article:

Meet And Greet Napa Valley - July 17th 2017

[Kyronix ]: Hello Napa! Thanks for attending tonight! We'll be attending shortly

[Kyronix ]: In the meantime, please stay tuned for a message from our sponsors...

[Kyronix ]: Is your house on top of a ratman spawn? Tired of fending your front door from solen invaders?

[Kyronix ]: Worry no more! Call Bob's Discount Monster Clearing services for all your spawn clearing needs!

[Kyronix ]: We've had some brown outs here, playing havoc with our connections. Thank you for your patience

[Mesanna]: hi everyone

[Kyronix ]: Let's get started!

[Ancient One]: Greetings once more Mistress of Darkness and Death, of Light and Glory

[Kyronix ]:...
Read more about this article here...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
[Ronan]: but would it be possible to opt out of party loot while still in it, as if you weren't in a party?

[Mesanna]: we can look into it but why be in a party in the first place then?
Sometimes I wonder who is further away from the actual game; me or them. Not like every worthwhile encounter needs you to party up to actually get into it "in the first place" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OTOH I like they finally being more open to buying vet time. Of course it's another shameless cash-grab but at least it could level the playing field regarding shard shields.

Thanks for the transcript!

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OTOH I like they finally being more open to buying vet time. Of course it's another shameless cash-grab but at least it could level the playing field regarding shard shields.

Thanks for the transcript!
If its less than $160 per year advanced I think a lot of people are going to be pretty ticked off and rightfully so.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If its less than $160 per year advanced I think a lot of people are going to be pretty ticked off and rightfully so.
When I think of buying back time, I think of my situation.

My account was created Sept of 1997, but due to life, I had to leave the game for many years... I am more than willing to pay back the inactive years at the monthly sub rate to access the veteran rewards.

I don't think people who want the option want to snub vets or get anything for free. In my case it would be like $600.

Giving the money to UO, rather than having to pay a third party to buy a vet account, just makes a lot more sense and further helps the actual game.

However, I do feel time should not be able to be bought for younger accounts (such as buy 14 years of game time for an account created 3 months ago). The age of the account should limit the buyback potential.

Last edited:

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
or like my account that I created in 98 and got banned in 2001 that is now only 3 years old. I would like to buy up the time it was banned for so it is a veteran account.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why should it cost the same as subscription? You actually played the game. It should have a max year like 15 and not 20 and it should be less than $100 for the whole thing. This is coming from someone who had an account a long time ago, but never bothered to recover it when I returned.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Old discussion, we all know. I rather think nobody is going to take something away from anybody, so no reason to get ticked off. But I know old vets hate to loose their status quo and don't want new players on an leveled playing field. They unfortunately totally forget they got to play the game for their money and didn't only pay for the vet reward program.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my case it would be like $600.
People would really pay $600 +/- a few hundred, just to be eligible for certain vet rewards? o_O:eek:
(don't need an answer, it's more like a rethorical question)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Old discussion, we all know. I rather think nobody is going to take something away from anybody, so no reason to get ticked off. But I know old vets hate to loose their status quo and don't want new players on an leveled playing field. They unfortunately totally forget they got to play the game for their money and didn't only pay for the vet reward program.
No but the vet rewards are based on time played/active account status. It is earned. Just because someone has something you dont have doesnt mean you should get it to. Certainly not at a reduced cost (of time and money.)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No but the vet rewards are based on time played/active account status. It is earned. Just because someone has something you dont have doesnt mean you should get it to. Certainly not at a reduced cost (of time and money.)
Yea, and that shouldn't be taken for granted, but do you really need a 20 year vet reward gap? It shouldn't be the same cost and it shouldn't be up to a current year.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, I do feel time should not be able to be bought for younger accounts (such as buy 14 years of game time for an account created 3 months ago). The age of the account should limit the buyback potential.
I'll agree to this. My main account was created in 2003, and I had the option for 5th year picks not too long ago. Had I played the entire 14 years, I would get shard shields next month. I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I wouldn't mind paying whatever to accelerate my account to the age it should actually be.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take like me for example... I started playing in 98' and because of high school life / college life / halo 2 and partying with friends... I came back to Ultima Online no less than 12 times. When I came back for good 8-9 years ago with my wife, we both "recovered" our accounts, which I had no idea I could do such a thing before (hence the 12 different acconts.) And to no surprise, when the Devs emailed me the list of my "accounts," I got to sort through all 12 and pick which 2 were the 'oldest' to re-open. My wife did the same thing and had a few as well.

Shard shields is the big issue here, let's not beat around the bush. There's no reason other people should be able to transfer once per day for free and we cannot. This would be one of the nicest things the Devs could do for us... aside from stopping scripters/multiboxers from using those shields to xfer event items.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take like me for example... I started playing in 98' and because of high school life / college life / halo 2 and partying with friends... I came back to Ultima Online no less than 12 times. When I came back for good 8-9 years ago with my wife, we both "recovered" our accounts, which I had no idea I could do such a thing before (hence the 12 different acconts.) And to no surprise, when the Devs emailed me the list of my "accounts," I got to sort through all 12 and pick which 2 were the 'oldest' to re-open. My wife did the same thing and had a few as well.

Shard shields is the big issue here, let's not beat around the bush. There's no reason other people should be able to transfer once per day for free and we cannot.
You really dont think they are going to allow someone to spend a fraction of a price to upgrade their accounts for free shard transfer tokens and screw themselves out of money do you? And yes it is fair. Should have kept your accounts active like some of us did.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You really dont think they are going to allow someone to spend a fraction of a price to upgrade their accounts for free shard transfer tokens and screw themselves out of money do you? And yes it is fair. Should have kept your accounts active like some of us did.
Sounds like someone's defending something.... :) :) Re-read, had 12 different accounts the whole time, at different times. I've probably played / have played more than you.... Half the people with "vet" accounts bought them illegally anyway... or don't you remember?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Obviously not on one account :)
If they want to charge $150 per year upgrade I would have no issue at all with it.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Shard shields is the big issue here, let's not beat around the bush. s.
And shard shields wouldn't be that big of an issue if the vets who originally got shields didn't transfer everything of worth off all the shards and bring to Atlantic. Forcing the nonvet accounts to have to buy tokens to bring items back to their original shard.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And shard shields wouldn't be that big of an issue if the vets who originally got shields didn't transfer everything of worth off all the shards and bring to Atlantic. Forcing the nonvet accounts to have to buy tokens to bring items back to their original shard.
Aye exactly... we specifically want to buy items on Atlantic and take them back to Pacific. :***( Everybody buys everything cheap on Pacific and takes it to Atl. to sell. I think more "good" players (like good vs evil kind of) with vet accounts / shards shields will fix this. Most of the players with a million shard shields bought accounts illegally... which has led to a huge abundance of the worst types of players having them.

We just want to decorate on Pacific in all honesty. There's nothing for sell there...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I must be a backwards person. I do the exact oposite as do a few others that i know. I can play on a quiet shard and transfer goods from atlantic as i need them. If anything it has prevented me from having to play on Atlantic.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Careful talking about shard shields, the trust fund babies will cry about their right of entitlement. These people think they are better then everyone else. SSHHH.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Careful talking about shard shields, the trust fund babies will cry about their right of entitlement. These people think they are better then everyone else. SSHHH.
Or worse they'll feel entitled simply because someone else has them :)

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shard shields was the worst decision since trammel period. They have completely ruined the game for anyone under 14 yr acct. Everyone should have them or no one should have them. Do you realize how great trading would be in this game if everyone could trade anything anywhere with anyone. Why should only specific people get that right, and yes I would still argue this point even if my acct was old enough for them. Its the least the devs could do for everyone that is still playing this dead dame today. They don't deserve our sub money for their lack of effort, let alone extra money for xfer tokens.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually what would solve a lot of this is to make vendor search work across all shards (well, sorry, Siege) and allow you to buy right from the results page. This way shard shields wouldn't be used for merchant issues quite as much. Take away the shard shields and would anyone really care if someone wanted to buy their way to poser vet status?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The fact that people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to catch up accounts just to get shard shields goes to show just how overpowered they are. They are complete game changers.

However, letting accounts catch up their months doesn't address the underlying problem. Shard shields are overpowered, and letting old account owners catch up unpaid months still means there is a huge disparity between the abilities of different groups of people to fully participate in trade. It still makes certain accounts worth significantly more money to third party traders. It still puts new and returning players at a brutal trade disadvantage when they are already at a disadvantage just by virtue of not having spent the last two decades collecting and accumulating.

Try to look at it from the perspective of someone new or returning to UO after years away. Like it or not, UO prodo shards economies are strongly intertwined and centralized on one shard, and it is a huge disincentive to see that you have to put FOURTEEN YEARS in to be able to trade fully. It's laughably absurd.

Old vets want new blood, but don't want to give up or share game changing privileges and advantages that newer players can never reasonably expect to compete with unless they go out and buy some quitting player's account--at which point the gain for the game is zero. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(real world gun discussion removed by moderator).."
But back to shard shields. I am quite sure, the so called bad guys will still have a lot of accounts which are able to travel and nothing will change about the transfering good stuff off your server.
Not all guys with Shard Shields are bad guys. Others, including me, do free transfers for friends. Remember, this isn't a solo game and friends are more important than EM drops. If you don't trust others, UO would be a bad experience.

Instead of rebuying years i would lower the requirements for the 20th anni. Maybe to 12 years. Did somebody assume that UO will stay there for a additional decade? Even if i love it, i must say no. It would be a wonder if we reach the 30 year anni and have 10 years more anni stuff flooting our chests.

Another option would be, let the younger acounts choose a maximum of two shields per account. That should be enough to visit the market and return.

Or exclude the bank storage with younger account shields.

A transfer token means always income for BS/EA or whoever runs around the money. That is the other side of transfers vs. free transfer shields. The trap they are running in.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
. Take away the shard shields and would anyone really care if someone wanted to buy their way to poser vet status?
Poser vet status? Really?

Who is a truer vet... one who has been around off and on the past twenty years that can tell you about the shard history, old players, where and why things are. When patches came out and what was included in them and countless other things but just doesn't have the time or the guy who bought his vet account shard shields and all within the past seven years and when shard history is talked about they give you a blank look, meanwhile they are ruining shard ecnomys transferring off history.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Not necessarily. I think I paid for 6-7 years without playing. I didn't even pick up anniversary or Christmas gifts. I'm sure I'm not alone; I had considered idling my accounts, but I would have had to bank or sell a bunch of stuff and I was just too lazy, just easier to pay for another year.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Poser vet status? Really?

Who is a truer vet... one who has been around off and on the past twenty years that can tell you about the shard history, old players, where and why things are. When patches came out and what was included in them and countless other things but just doesn't have the time or the guy who bought his vet account shard shields and all within the past seven years and when shard history is talked about they give you a blank look, meanwhile they are ruining shard ecnomys transferring off history.
Oh I agree with you, buying an existing account to get the shields is unfair - just as unfair as buying a 10 yr old account and paying the proposed "shield tax" to get shields. Poor choice of words as it did lump people who for some reason had to take years worth of breaks and want their shields. My apologies for that.

My question still stands, however, without the shard shields how big of an issue would this really be?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So im just going to throw this out there... I dont have an opinion on accounts being able to buy their age. It doesnt bother me one way or the other. What does bother me is the simple fact that most of you have forgotten. You will have to use the account management site to buy those extra months and years. YOu really trust that website to buy all those extra months? You can hope for something nice but ultimately one of the biggest issues with the game is still there. this is the same staff that has not released a single thing with out bugs and now you are going to trust them with the accounts themselves? Its quite obvious they cant fix it as they said it would be redone about a year ago and still nothing.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shard shields was the worst decision since trammel period.
Let's be honest, without the creation of trammel UO wouldn't of lasted another 5 years.

They have completely ruined the game for anyone under 14 yr acct.
Ruined seems like a pretty big overreaction. Game isn't solely based on selling goods. There is that exploring and adventuring thing that is popular.

Everyone should have them or no one should have them.
o_O

Its the least the devs could do for everyone that is still playing this dead dame today. They don't deserve our sub money for their lack of effort, let alone extra money for xfer tokens.
Yes the devs have made some unpopular decisions and there have been quite a few unfixed bugs, however to they are not making an effort is ignorant. You have no idea what they have to work with nor do you know anything about their inner workings.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Saying UO wouldn't be around without trammel is pure speculation my friend. There is different ways things could've been done then to just create a baby proof facet.

If your a veteran player what is it that your exploring and adventuring to? LOL
If you played for 10 yrs plus, I guarantee you have done everything at least once.

There was less of the population profiting off of uo before then there is now. Id say its gone up at least 25% with todays population, theres fewer players that play to have fun vs those who play to profit. The ones who profit are easy to find as they are the ones that always say the devs are doing a good job cause it allows them to make irl money. I could do more with this game with less people then they have. Heres a example, why is it more stuff is added the store then in the game itself. Just adding one new drop to an older content per month would be a massive improvement to the game. They manage to add items to the store though at that rate, why not the game?? I personally think the corruption runs much deeper just clops. Just putting that out there.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just as a FYI... Vets with @Fridgster 's opinion are what makes returning players with new accounts not want to play this game. I can deal with the bad economy and catching up as well as I can to afford basic things like Powerscrolls and stat scrolls. I can deal with running by houses with so much stuff from events I missed that it lags me out almost. I can deal with not having a castle... I can deal with having to do content with ONE template only because everything else takes hours for a small chance at something and no one does that content anymore... But I can't deal with the Vets that think they own the game because they've been here.

This is not productive to inviting new players to play with you. This is selfish. No one will want to play with you except those that are like you. The game will die. It's not a question. It will die. You're all just making money off of each other buying and selling gold and vet rewards. Some of you have 10+ accounts open. It's just weird how you all think this game is fun with this kind of playstyle and you expect new people to join in.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LS is not a highly populated shard but at least once a week someone yell in chat that they are transferring to Atl and will take stuff/bring stuff back.

They sell transfer tokens in the store. You can buy your way to another shard if you desire.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You seem to be confusing "Account Age" with "Game Time", I don't think the devs would make that mistake... (or would they?)

I guess if the game goes free-to-play, there wouldn't be a difference though.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
are what makes returning players with new accounts not want to play this game.
In my opinion another thing that makes new or returning players not want to play is having to shell out all the money for all of the expansions.

And don't get me started with the items in the store that are already in the game! At least put a (replica) tag on them!

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like final fantasy's Concept as far as account age goes. Your account age is determined the moment you add gametime. So if I added a years gametime right now my account age would go up 12 months.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some posts have been deleted or edited to remove a real life discussion about guns and politics. Real world political discussion is not allowed on Stratics.

Please keep the thread on track and on UO related topics going forward.

Thanks.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I think they should make it to where you can purchase shard shields in game (any age can buy/use, but be account bound)
Vets can still chose it as a reward (if they want) but anyone who wants one can purchase
(I'd be happy with it being $50-$60, my hubby says $30-$40)

I have a guild mate who will transfer stuff for me & I'm really grateful to her for that
but sometimes I forget to cross of a shard off my list & make it stressful for her cause she can't find it
also I hate having to depend on someone else to do it for me
I'd like to be able to hop to another shard, to take stuff to my chars there (runebooks, clothes, resources, etc)

I would also like to point out, that the guild mate who does the transfers does actually buy transfer tokens too
there is only so much you can bring on one trip with the vet tokens

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't see the problem here, no one loses anything and everyone has the opportunity to gain something. Seriously the perceived status the shields hanging in your house saying I am more special gives some of the vets that much big wood? Personally I think the Shields should just be dropped down to a second year pick and that is only because the first year you get 3 picks. I shield transfer stuff for friends to and from Atlantic and seriously my life would be easier if those folks had their own shields. Always end up spending a day tracking everyone down and sorting out which bag belongs to who. Most of these folks won't be eligible for shields for another 5-10 years. In a 2 weeks to 2 months I can pick another 12 shields from six accounts if I want and the folks that need them more than I do are looking at years before they can claim their first two.

Yeah they are a powerful came changer and give the vets old enough to claim them a huge edge in the multi shard economy. The more shields you have the bigger that edge is. And why would someone sell something Legends for 1/3 2/3 less than what they can shield to atlantic at no cost and sell it for 2x-3x more. Everyone should be able to participate in the central market known as Atlantic without having to drop $40 to make the round trip. The entire game economy would very quickly get much better.

Shard shields should have honestly never have existed, of course I am of the belief transfers period never should have existed. But they do but the way the shields come into the game is very poorly thought out and executed. So either make them a 2nd year vet pick or just put them in the store for $60 each and level this very tilted and unfair field.

Could leave the shields as a vet pick and just add a big standing tall and proud Woody that the folks that need to feel special can lock down on their porch to signify their status............. Not transferable of course.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've always said if people are willing to pay up their account in years let them. Who really cares? Many returning vets and even new players are turned off by the costs of things and everything else give them a way to add on a few years.

I know I was super disappointed as a new player having to wait 2 years to dye leather... was maddening. I can't even imagine the prospect of having to wait 14 for something. While everything else can be claimed and sold pretty much that one is rough...

While many of my accounts are 14 or near 14 or more I have a full set of shields... But I don't really use it... However I believe something needs to be done about EVERYTHING being bought and moved to Alt...

Perhaps the real solution is to have some sort of global marketplace. Then it wouldn't matter where you lived.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Some posts have been deleted or edited to remove a real life discussion about guns and politics. Real world political discussion is not allowed on Stratics.

Please keep the thread on track and on UO related topics going forward.

Thanks.
Definitely not second guessing that decision.. just amazed that folks can seemingly turn any UO topic to that...

and...

Shard Shield overpowered? :confused: .. kinda confuses me.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shard Shield overpowered? :confused: .. kinda confuses me.
Overpowered in a economic sense. They make it super cheap to bounce things from small pop shards to atl without dropping the $20 bucks one way. The casual player that does not have the acct age is basically left out of the global economy and sells cheap since it is not worth dropping $40 for a round trip ticket to atlantic and back home, or find someone that has shields and will make the bounce for them. The shields give the 14+ year vets a huge amount of economic power if they choose to use it.