• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Mana Issues ABC Archer

S

Storx

I run an ABC archer that i built not to long ago to run champs and doom with. Problem i have with him is he cant keep his mana up for nothing. I rock a 43% mana leech bow which seems to barely help.

The build i run is this:

Archery 120
Anatomy 120
Tactics 120
healing 90
bushido 100
chivalry 70
resist 100

i dont understand how archers run around with mana pools up in the air...

I thought about chopping Resist for 50 necro 50 spirit to get a wisp but dont know..

C

Cloak&Dagger

Depends how much mana you have....Also, Med might be a better way to go than a necro summons. The wisp gives mana based on karma, and if you go with negative karma for the wisp your chiv spells will be useless. Med (or focus even) would be a better option assuming you have medabale armor, if not I am close to sure that Focus would still be faster mana regen than the wisp is at high karma. Aside from that, MR on your suit and MI items, with lmc.

C

Connor_Graham

Mana, and learning how to conserve it, is a learned skill. First thing you need to do is make sure you've got a good amount of mana regen on your suit. Then, make sure you Honor everything so you get your HP/Stam/Mana back when it dies. Then, pump up your mana pool as high as you can get it. My ABC archer runs with MR 9 and a mana pool of 105. Even so, conservation of mana is still top on the list. Knowing when to use specials and spells is key.

S

Storx

i dont understand where people get that honoring gives you mana back. I look and look and i cant find anything online that states you get mana back. i see it gives stam and health but nothing on mana. Also i have medable gear on all except jackels colar which isnt...
I looked into the wisp and everything i read on them states that the calculator for mana off them is (spiritspeaking/10)=mana gain every 2-5 seconds.

What i was planning on doing if i cant figure out something is put my extra points i have from med into spirit speak and pick up some necro peaces so i can equip them with uoassist then summon a wisp and then take them off. I tryed it out in test and it seemed to work very well on keeping me up on mana.. i did a few test and this was what i came up with...

testcenter:
with exact gear i have in the regular shard i did:
3 mana per 5 seconds

with exact gear i have in the regular shard w/80 med i did:
6 mana per 5 seconds

with NO gear on wisp w/80 spirit speak:
8 mana per 5 seconds

with exact gear i have in the regular shard w/80 spirit i did:
11 mana per 5 seconds

I just learned more on how magic resist skill works.. didnt really ever know how it applied in the game as in resisting ontop of the gear you have on.. i am thinking of dropping it some tell i am still maxed on resist accross the board and put the rest into spiritspeaking or maybe a few into necro to be able to cast curse weapon for big bosses that tend to poison the crap out of me.

Sorry if i sound like i have answered my own questions but i have recieved more PMs on this then replys on here.. helping me out.. you all are a great plate of knowledge to fall onto and im trying to grasp as much as i can and understand to the fullest.

C

Connor_Graham

Connor, could I trouble you to list your abc archer suit? :danceb:
Sure. This is it:

Mace & Shield Glasses
Crimson Cincture
Conjurer's Trinket
Rune Beetle Carapace
Ring of the Vile
Stormgrip
Cloak of Power
Crafted gorget, arms, and legs with MR, SI, and MI
Bracelet with Resist +12, 20 stat points, DI

C

Connor_Graham

i dont understand where people get that honoring gives you mana back. I look and look and i cant find anything online that states you get mana back. i see it gives stam and health but nothing on mana.
It's all part of Perfection and how Honor works with Bushido. Depending on what level of Perfection you achieve, you get a certain amount back in HP/Stam/Mana. By using this, you can conceivably never run out of mana just by using Honor & Perfection, depending on what you're fighting.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's all part of Perfection and how Honor works with Bushido. Depending on what level of Perfection you achieve, you get a certain amount back in HP/Stam/Mana. By using this, you can conceivably never run out of mana just by using Honor & Perfection, depending on what you're fighting.
Just to add on, your hp/mana/stam gets restored only if the monster is killed. And to trigger Perfection requires min 50 bushido.

A very useful way to top up mana is to honor and kill weak mobs. Esp when you just got rezzed :D Ahhh, the skills you learn from failure...

Also remember that leech properties from archery weapons are only half as effective as melee.

What works for me is instead of non-stop chaining, I make it a point to keep a 20 mana reserve when using specials/LS.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I will agree to a degree with what others have said, I'll state these points:

1. As someone recalled, mana leech isn't as effective as it once was. 1/2 as effective really in comparison to dexxer weaponry.

2. Need to have a hot key for your honor macro. Hopefully someplace close to your other important keys yet far enough away you aren't hitting it by accident.

3. As long as you know what you're doing, you can pretty much chain specials over...and over...and over again and not worry about mana. Yes that's right. Constantly. This ties into point #2 and the idea of perfection though.

If you aren't using honor, you're wasting your time playing an ABC archer.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Connor -- Thanks for your suit info. I copied that into my notes for later use. I noticed you didn't mention LMC. I know you have 15 LMC from the RBC. Do you have any other LMC on those runic pieces or tucked elsewhere that I missed?

-OBSIDIAN-

C

Connor_Graham

Connor -- Thanks for your suit info. I copied that into my notes for later use. I noticed you didn't mention LMC. I know you have 15 LMC from the RBC. Do you have any other LMC on those runic pieces or tucked elsewhere that I missed?

-OBSIDIAN-
The only LMC I have is on the RBC. I'd love to have some on a brace, but finding one that fits my specific needs, not to mention as good or better than the one I have, is like looking for a needle in a haystack the size of Texas. The armor I have I went with only the 3 mods I listed above so the resists would be where I needed them as well. I do just fine with just the 15 LMC, and with my suit as kick ass as it is now, I won't be replacing any armor pieces any time soon.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me, on the other hand...

I have 30% LMC from RBC and other items. If I'm going into a situation where more LMC would be appropriate (PvP or long battles), I can go without the HCI from the conjurer's trinket and replace that with a totem of the void.

I do use stormgrip and have 20% DI on my brace (ring is also Vile), so without the trinket I'm at a mere 90% DI, which has little effect overall.

But I also have meditation where Connor has resist (double edged sword, sometimes I would like resist, I do have it stoned for Doom trips) and extra MR on my suit (8 MR total). With this set up, I rarely have mana issues even using frequent special moves and lightning strikes. The problem is, I only have the DCI offered by my fey leggings, which isn't much.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run an ABC archer that i built not to long ago to run champs and doom with. Problem i have with him is he cant keep his mana up for nothing. I rock a 43% mana leech bow which seems to barely help.

The build i run is this:

Archery 120
Anatomy 120
Tactics 120
healing 90
bushido 100
chivalry 70
resist 100

i dont understand how archers run around with mana pools up in the air...

I thought about chopping Resist for 50 necro 50 spirit to get a wisp but dont know..
Anyone feel free to punch holes in this thought but -
Between 80 and 120 anatomy the damage difference is very minimal so drop that. Same with tactics, your not gaining anything past 90 really, use enough just for the specials. Drop healing and raise Bushido to 120. Now depends on where your fighting, but i would almost say drop resists. Now that gives us alot of skill points to play with...lets try this template

120 Archery
120 Bushido
100 Spirit Speak
100 Resists (optional)
90 Tactics
80 Anatomy
75 Chivalry
35 Necromancy

Now I run this very build with my friend. I cant tell from your original post if you are by yourself or with someone, but we can take out pretty much anything in the game with him (tamer) and myself an archer. With this set up you can also solo alot of tough foes. To solve your mana problem your going to go into wraith form. With the GM Spirit Speak you will never run out of mana...trust me. As long as you've got your monster honored, EOO, Consecrate Weapon, you will be dealing massive damage and leeching massive amounts of mana (Also very wise to have stam leech on your bow as well.) Now you ask "well i want to solo some stuff, how do i heal?" With this temp you can heal a few different ways. First off, cast Curse Weapon. This spell heals you for half the damage you do, so if your hitting, say the Dark Father for 150 a shot, your getting healed for 75 hit points. You can also heal with Pots, if you have a balanced bow. Chivalry, and use Jack of All Trades ability to cast Gift of Renewal. Now I must reiterate, this is not a typical SOLO'ing template. This is great if you have a friend to tank your foe with a super dragon while you pound it into oblivion from a safe distance.

But that was just a tid bit on a different template, give ya some ideas. Get your mind thinking about what skills complement each other.

Like I said, if this information is really outdated, my bad...Melee characters are not my profession :) just trying to give a little help, feel free to punch holes in this.

BUT it answers his question about MANA. Will never run out of that with this build :danceb::danceb:

C

Connor_Graham

To solve your mana problem your going to go into wraith form.
As you've said, this works fine if you have a GD to tank and take the aggro. In a situation where the target can switch targets, such as in Doom, being on foot in wraith form will spell instant death, as you can't run fast enough to get away. It also means that the template you listed can only be used as a team player, and not be able to take him out solo against anything high end. An Archer's defense is distance between them and their target. You remove that defense by going into wraith form.

It's very possible, and very easy, to put together a suit that will solve any mana issues, without having to cut the legs out from under the character.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As you've said, this works fine if you have a GD to tank and take the aggro. In a situation where the target can switch targets, such as in Doom, being on foot in wraith form will spell instant death, as you can't run fast enough to get away. It also means that the template you listed can only be used as a team player, and not be able to take him out solo against anything high end. An Archer's defense is distance between them and their target. You remove that defense by going into wraith form.

It's very possible, and very easy, to put together a suit that will solve any mana issues, without having to cut the legs out from under the character.
Couldn't agree with you more. Like i stated in my post above, Its not your typical if at all SOLO template. Also I didn't know if he was alone or had friends with him. If he's got friends, then this is a quick, cheap fix for mana :) but you are very correct on it being instant death for areas like Doom :)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. People usually do 120 anatomy with 90 healing to eek out a few more HP healed per bandage.

2. You can solo anything in the game in terms of top tiered enemies with the concept of honor and perfection. Don't need specialized build with spirit speak and necro.

3. You said you have 43% mana leech bow but...that means little depending on the bow and it's speed...if it is slow.

4. 80 anatomy = not rezzing, which = not liked in terms of team play.

5. Should have 120 archery and 120 bushido for any sort of ABC archer template. Period.