• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Making Your Own Crafting Recipies?

• Thread starter imported_Electrolyte
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Electrolyte

Something I've long thought would be great would be for GM (and above) crafters to be able to create their own recipies... for example you make a great piece of armor, with good reisists and mods that work well together. Now you can either use this like a regular piece of armor, OR turn the armor into a recipie that can be learned so you can make that same piece several times! I imagine it working much like inscription does. Plus I think it would be cool to name the item as well. Then you can sell your recipies to other crafters... They would have to have the same or higher skill as the creator of the recipie to use it... when they make your item it it would still have your name on it... 'The Electrolyte's Shiny Metal Tunic exceptionally crafted by Mr. Krinkle'

I dunno, maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is cool...

C

Cygnas

I've seen a few very very nice weapons that were loot from a peerless that I would like to own, and some that were crafted. If you could turn these into recipes, soon everyone would be running around with the same over-powered weapon or armor. Diversity would be better, not making everyone the same.

So, how would you balance this?

M

Mystic_Of_Cats

<blockquote><hr>

I've seen a few very very nice weapons that were loot from a peerless that I would like to own, and some that were crafted. If you could turn these into recipes, soon everyone would be running around with the same over-powered weapon or armor. Diversity would be better, not making everyone the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly.

G

Yeah i've wanted a crafting system where you could make your own recipes (and obviously craft magic stuff in a different manner than you can today) for ages.

I

imported_Electrolyte

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, you make a good point there... How about this... You can only make a recipie from something that you yourself created... I can't turn loot, or someone else's merchandise into a recipie... Similarly when I make something from someone elses's recipie, I can't turn it into my own recipie.

Do you guys think that this would be enough, or is something more needed as well?

My idea here is mostly to make it so that when you DO luck into a really nice piece, you can recreate it, instead of just hoping for something similar ever again...

Eht/Longbow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all realism, and coming from a history of weapons makers (my family built traditional bows for over 30 years), you can't really make an identical weapon. Anything that is hand crafted of extremely high quality can not be made exactly the same way twice, each one is in reality a work of art. One bow made to the same weight the same length and of the same wood will not shoot exactly the same way as another. One will be a little smoother shot or the other a little faster, but both will be a great weapon.

So I can see how this is a great idea to make something in a similar manner, but I honestly think even now in UO it is incorrect for a recipe to be crafted exactly the same way each time.

Eht

F

Fayled Dhreams

nah ... Keep Hope Alive ... don't legitimize duping ...

Well ... sorry for the harsh word ... but ... simply put ...

what else is it?

sure ... as a "self crafted" choice set .. as proposed ( not "others" items or loot )
will still generate a churn of items ... in search of "the best specific piece" ...
What happens when it IS generated? likely they'll focus "production" ... on that one ...
while looking for "others" ...
get a full group of recipies ... (the best of the best of the best ...or hard to beat, or this'll do)

Kinda hit an "end game" .. yes?
Sure ...Still playing under the rule of The Evil Lord RNG ...
then
one day
you end up ... rolling double sixes ... every time ... every time

short term attractive ... long haul ... ??
meh ...
<blockquote><hr>

My idea here is mostly to make it so that when you DO luck into a really nice piece, you can recreate it, instead of just hoping for something similar ever again...

[/ QUOTE ]
(See: Eht/Longbow )

ps FoF

I

imported_Electrolyte

Hmmmm... you make a good point Fayled... I don't really have a good counter for that... I hadn't really thought about it being basically a legal way to dupe... hmmm... hmmm... ... ...

... ... but let's look at it this way... ... in the "old days" when GM Exceptional was King (or Queen) of Craftables, smiths and tailors were churning out GM equipment by the truckload, and even though it was effectively creating/duping the same thing over and over again, no one cried foul (FOWL!)

yeah, we might see some large shops spring up churning out the same awesome barbed leather tunic, but is that really so bad?

after giving this some thought, it seems like it wouldn't matter if lots of people could make consistently good armor over and over again... wouldn't this start putting us back on a path to having a viable crafting community again?

what if you end up creating a REALLY great suit... would you distrubute the recipe all over the place, or would you hold on to it, and create a demand for your own hiqh quality wares?

just some food for thought... i will keep thinking on it some myself over the weekend...

-=\E

I

imported_Electrolyte

<blockquote><hr>

In all realism, and coming from a history of weapons makers (my family built traditional bows for over 30 years), you can't really make an identical weapon. Anything that is hand crafted of extremely high quality can not be made exactly the same way twice, each one is in reality a work of art. One bow made to the same weight the same length and of the same wood will not shoot exactly the same way as another. One will be a little smoother shot or the other a little faster, but both will be a great weapon.

So I can see how this is a great idea to make something in a similar manner, but I honestly think even now in UO it is incorrect for a recipe to be crafted exactly the same way each time.

Eht

[/ QUOTE ]

To your point Eht, I am all for as much "logic" and "sense making" as possibe in UO, but sadly I think we are long past a point where things work in UO the way we think they should in the real world

...however, i do highly suspect that your point about how it's nearly impossible to make an EXACT replica of one piece of arms or armor, might just be where the great lord RNG came from in our crafting system...

-=\E

G

I really like the idea of putting my own "stamp" on things... not just a makers mark but crafting a "special" recipie for things would be really cool.

F

Fayled Dhreams

fowl = duck (still being used, search duck/dennar) foul=unfair/bad
some here will complain about being hung with a new rope
just saying
keep thinking ...draw out the details to further on consequences .... incorporate trade offs and balances (give a little to get a little)

My current primary focus field: draining off gp ...

speaking of which ... take a run at this ... fresh eye/perspective can't hurt, might help ...
*tips* toupee

I

imported_Electrolyte

Last time we talked, it was brought up that making your own recipies would be similar to duping them items, and I compared this to the old days of GM exceptional, when that's all we had...

Here's another thought that might make this idea work better... Any items crafted with a recipie would receive a durability bump (+50% original item's) but would NOT be POFable, still repairable though...

so yes, your recipied items would eventually wear out, but hey, it's not hard to replace it at all right?

Whatta ya think? Good, bad, ugly?

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's almost like customizable crafting I've been screaming on about for awhile now. Only way something like this works?

Item decay.

Put these two things together and you have a winning system. Problem is, getting everyone to accept item decay again

It has to be done RIGHT