• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Making the most of your treasure chests. (a new T-Hunter guide)

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi All,

I am new to the game so thought I would put this together to help new players to make the most of what they are getting....

So far I can only do level 1 maps so I will update as I go along but here are some tips for making the chests earn you more gold and also some tips for finding the treasure.

Firstly getting the maps... IF you have an alternate char then method one will be good for you. If not them method 2 will both help you train magery and also earn you some extra gold.

Method one. With your alt char fight dark guardians, Dark Guardians spawn in only one room in Dungeon Doom. They spawn two for every player, NPC, pet, or summons in the room. i.e if you are mounted 2 spawn, if you dismount 4 will spawn. Once you enter the room the door locks until they are all dead. They can be taken down easily with a mage (having undead slayer helps) or a warrior with an undead slayer wep will make short work of them.

They carry OK good/loot but almost always drop a tmap. from level 1 upwards. you can stockpile a lot of maps this way and earn some gold too!!

Method 2: for the newer players this is a good one although it does take some time. IF you started with magery, Great, if not no problem. I am using an LRC set with fair resist and nothing else so you don't need good gear. I have + magery/eval on my jewels with + INT which takes me to around 75 magery at the moment. I go to dungeon despise and precast a blade spirit in the doorway. I run through to the earth ellies and then I drop the blade spirit and invis. 1 BS can easily kill the whole spawn and any ettins that followed you but once agro is under control reveal and blast the critters with lvl 6 spells for magery gains! Earth ellies and even the odd ettin drop lvl 1 maps as loot and you can earn a little gold as you are going along. In around an hour i got 4 maps and around 30k gold doing this.

Ok, so you have some maps... What now you ask.

The first thing to do is decode the map.. I am only at 53 carto at the moment and get gains from decoding lvl 1 maps still (i really need to train this but treasure hunting is more fun!!)

Once you have found the spot and got to the general location I would do the following.

Firstly you want to get UOcartographer, its like and updated version of UO automap.

Open this to check your location, then take a screenshow with the treasure map open. open any photo viewing/editing spftware and paste the screenshot. Zoom right in on the map location and then zoom to the same level on UOcartographer and compare the 2 locations. I look for the pixels on both images then compare them to my location. Once you are inline with the pin I find the chest is generally on the same line of tiles but to the northwest of the pin location. Walk along checking each tile as you go and you should find the chest quickly. normally it takes me around 4 mins from reaching the location to digging the chest.

Right, so you found the spot. the most important thing from here is your timing. IF you are using magery then you can precast a blade spirit or an EV if you can then just let the chest pop. the spawn on lvl 1 maps are real easy. I take them all out with a single hail storm but I appreciate that not everyone will have mysticism. the spawn is very easy and even a newly created char should not have any problems. Once all the guardians are dead you can pick the chest or use the "unlock spell".

Move away around 6 tiles then cast telekenisis or simply activate the trap and take the 10-15 damage :)

From here you should be seeing a chest full of loot. you will find 2-3 stacks of regs - 1-2 stacks of gems and a whole host of other items. as well as 5k in gold!

From 5 level 1 maps I have had the following.
1 x Skeleton Key (10 uses)
1 x Wrestling Alacrity scroll (nice :) )
3 x Tastey treats
2 x MIB

You may be tempted to just dump the other stuff!!! don't do it!!

What I do is gather it all up then unravel it using imbuing. I have only 78 imbue but I still get good gains this way. I have yet to imbue a single item and I am at 78!! and also I am building up a good supply of essence too! (the 78 is a result of collecting all the items I get off monsters too so I have gained well !!!

All in all considering I have only done level 1 maps I feel that this is a very profitable first few days.

As I progress I will update but if you have any questions don't be shy!

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While your doing level one maps try to figure out the correct timing to cast invisible on yourself, you don't need to on level one's but the higher ones keeps you from being insta killed.

I have a macro set up to cast invis on myself on the 13th digging animation but it might be different for you.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I start digging and then cast invis. I release the invis on myself the second the chest is fully visible. Always worked for me.

You can get to 120 imbuing from unraveling if you use the GGS only. ;)

Thanks for loot infos tho. Guess i will train some basic treasure hunter skills to get rid of the low level maps. Didn't know there could be MIBs in there.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No problem, I was surprised to see them too, and very surprised to see an alacrity scroll. Level 1's are not to be overlooked lol.

TheLetterQ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go with GM mining! It's really not a waste of skill points.

120 Mystic (+15 Ring)
120 Magery (+15 Brace)
120 Focus
100 Mining
100 Lockpick
100 Cartography
Rest of your available points in med.

This is a truely amazing t-hunter template. You can solo up to level 7's everyplace but Ilsh. The Collosus rocks!

Q

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go with GM mining! It's really not a waste of skill points.

120 Mystic (+15 Ring)
120 Magery (+15 Brace)
120 Focus
100 Mining
100 Lockpick
100 Cartography
Rest of your available points in med.

This is a truely amazing t-hunter template. You can solo up to level 7's everyplace but Ilsh. The Collosus rocks!

Q
Thats very similar to the template I am going to have, although I thought I had my temp all figured out that has gone out of the window hehe.

I am very tempted to go with imbue over focus though... just for the simple reason that I don't have a soulstone and would hate to waste skill points that I have worked from 0 :)

TheLetterQ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Focus or Imbue.

The reason I chose focus was for the faster nama regen. But mana really hasn't been that huge of an issue to date with a imbued suit.

You don't really even need 120's in Mystic or Magery. That just makes the vortexes and collosus easier to cast.

Q