• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Major template rebuild - what to do?

P

pgcd

When I left the game a few years back, I had a fun template based on the EC and some creative use of instant jewelry swapping - sadly, the template has been somewhat compromised by the following publishes, so I'm looking for ideas on how to use the non-defining skill points.

Basically, the idea is that of a Disco Archer, except I'm using jewelry to bring Music & Disco up to 120 when disco'ing only:

Archery 120 (real)
Music 90 (120 with jewels when discoing)
Disco 90 (120 with jewels when discoing)
Tactics 90 (because I want to be able to use special moves)
Chivalry 70 (85 with jewels)
Anatomy 90
Healing 90 (100 with enhanced bandies)

With this setup, I have 80 points left, which could become 170 or even 260 if I were to forfeit Healing and Anatomy: what should I use them for? Spellweaving sounds like fun, but are 80 points in it even worth contemplating (considering I doubt I'll find people in the same range for circleing)?
Would 20 Necro + 60 SS and running in Wraith Form make any sense?
I would consider Mysticism as well, and perhaps I could change race to go Gargoyle (currently human): in that case, would you say switching from Archery to Throwing is a sensible move (I have a nice SSI Turq Ring with Throwing & Focus on it)?

The char is for PVM, clearly, and I'm mostly running solo, BTW.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Adding provocation might be fun. I enjoy playing a disco/provo archer. Also, although the suit can be challenging, 4/6 chiv healing is pretty reliable for PvM.

B

Bort of Atlantic

I would say swap to gargoyle and use throwing. Throwing weapons have better base damage and DPS than bows do, and you can use potions to boot.

Template-wise, I'd try to get 120 tactics, 120 anatomy, and 50 bushido. You'd probably have to trim healing for example, but 50 bushido will help with damage output, and tactics and anatomy are flat-out damage gains, too. 80% chivalry is enough for 100% consecrate weapon chance btw, so you might want to drop it a hair.

Wraith + discord doesn't appear to make a ton of sense here (wraith is typically for armor ignore from soul glaive, and that bypasses resists so discord doesn't do much for you).

P

pgcd

Going Gargoyle does sound interesting; I'm worried about Mace & Shield glasses, though: there are a few reports that the Garg version was broken and I couldn't find the fix confirmation...

As for disco, the idea is that the enemy's skills get lowered as well - which means lower level curses, improved attack & defense etc.
I'll see if I can increase tacts/anatomy, but I wonder if a wraith's leech with curse weapon & soul glaive is effective enough to do without healing; I'll try and read up about this.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a tricky one. I would think of going the gargoyle route. But you need to decide how best to spend it. You could go 4/6 but then your going to have to add the points from jewels back onto your skills. I would skip the 80 SW as your right I don't think you will be able to get a focus at that level unless you use a JOAT focus. If you give us a bit more information on what you would like to do maybe we could be more specific.

P

pgcd

Well, I started by becoming Gargoyle - now I have a couple days (at least) before I become somewhat proficient at Throwing, and then I'll figure out what to do next! Any and all suggestions are very welcome in the meanwhile, of course =)

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With that much skill increase on jewelry its hard to get decent stats.
Best option would probably be using 120 chiv and dropping some +skill. Gets you a nice damage bonus without bushido. It would also help alot with hci, ssi and di, will be hard to cap them on your suit.
50 - 80 bushido just for perfection bonus is another variant.
Or 40 necro + 40 spirit speak for curse weapon.

P

pgcd

With that much skill increase on jewelry its hard to get decent stats.
Best option would probably be using 120 chiv and dropping some +skill. Gets you a nice damage bonus without bushido. It would also help alot with hci, ssi and di, will be hard to cap them on your suit.
50 - 80 bushido just for perfection bonus is another variant.
Or 40 necro + 40 spirit speak for curse weapon.
Actually, most of the time I'd have 15 to 30 points of skill from jewelry: the 60 points to get to120 Mus/Disco are equipped *only* when activating the skill, and unequipped immediately afterwards (EC insta-equip).
I have been running 50 bushido, I don't know if it's effective anymore, though, with the LS mana changes and the ridiculous leeches on throwing weapons; that's pretty much the reason why I was thinking of exploring other avenues.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I'm going to try:
Archery 120
Music 120
Disco 120
Tactics 120 (100 because I have 700 cap)
Chivalry 120
Resisting 120

I hope that chivalry with 3/6 would be enough for healing.
Also I hope with HML on the weapon and MR on the suit I get enough mana for a bard Mastery.
Super Slayer + Chivalry get me to 300% cap.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your mana is going to be a problem. Leeching mana works but if your fighting something with low mana your in for a world of hurt. Might add med or focus instead of resist and use a trap box and consumables to try and counter that. Will still be a problem if your mana drained but less then the mana issues you will having trying to maintain everything else.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I believe I'll be able to get 80-90 mana without spending any points to INT. Also I can try to get 8-10 MR.

But I haven't thought in details about equipment yet. (I even haven't got money for such equipment at the moment :))

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
80-90 mana is really good. I assume your going elf for that. Mana Regen is best. It really gives a nice boost. I redid my archers suit recently and let me tell you it makes all the difference in the world.

P

pgcd

While I'm training Throwing, I'm trying to figure out what to do next, and my current impasse is: do I keep Healing, or do I replace it with Necro + SS for Wraith Form & Curse Weapon? Are the leeches from such a setup worth losing Healing?

B

Bort of Atlantic

While I'm training Throwing, I'm trying to figure out what to do next, and my current impasse is: do I keep Healing, or do I replace it with Necro + SS for Wraith Form & Curse Weapon? Are the leeches from such a setup worth losing Healing?
It looks like there are at least a few anti-life-leech creatures in Shame. If you plan on using this character there, I'd probably go with healing.

P

pgcd

It looks like there are at least a few anti-life-leech creatures in Shame. If you plan on using this character there, I'd probably go with healing.
Ok, good point, thank you. The last big decision is whether to increase the damage output with Anatomy & Tactics or Chiv/Bushido...

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not that going the necro route doesn't work becuase it does. The Whammy is one powerful temp. For ranged I do prefer healing but thats more a personal thing. It will make a difference for the new corrupted life, but so far it doesn't seem to be a large issue down there. At least not as big an issue as it is with Corgul but I haven't had the time to run a whammy down there. (Adds run sammy in shame on test to todo list)

B

Bort of Atlantic

Ok, good point, thank you. The last big decision is whether to increase the damage output with Anatomy & Tactics or Chiv/Bushido...
Tactics gives more damage point-for-point than anatomy, but I'd probably pick anatomy over tactics on a character that uses bandages (that can't fit 120 tactics in). If you know you're going to be fighting things solo most of the time or tougher creatures that don't die in a hit or two, 50 bushido is great. No other skill can get you 100% damage increase from 50 skill points. If you're fighting with a group or figure you won't be able to honor everything you're fighting, chivalry would be best. Consecrate weapon (although obsolete for those with 100% elemental weapons that have imbued them to match up to fights) may be another nice-to-have as you're probably doing basic hits instead of armor ignores most of the time.

fluxcapacitr

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I say drop the musics, and some chiv, and add taming, lore and vet. you have a tank, and you can sit still n shoot things. your dps will be much higher.