• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Major BoD issues

X

Xadius

I decided to make a tailor for the sole purposes of completing Runic Kit BoD's, and making some amazing gear. I started it last friday, and steadily pushed it to 116 today. I have .1 tailoring on 2 other toons, and 50 tailoring on the other 2, in order to feed junk BoD's to my soon to be Legendary Tailor. Here's my issue:

Of the ~200 or so "junk" BoD's I've gotten, I've yet to be given a single Sandals, Bonnet, or Shoes BoD, of any size, which I need to complete 5 larges I got from a friend. I thought this was odd, so I decided (about 3 hours ago), to start turning in these junk BoD's on my 116 tailor to try and get some good BoD's and/or the afforementioned. I tracked the exact amount of turn in's and the results:

Turn in's: 149

LBOD's: THREE!!!! (6 piece/normal/10 horned leather, 4 piece/normal/10 cloth, 4 piece/normal/20 cloth)

Cloth SBoD's:111

Leather SBoD's: 16 plain, 12 spined, 7 horned, and ZERO barbed...

When I compared these figures to the estimated returns of LBoD's, small barbed/horned bods, I was astonished. Not only did I not get a single bonnet, sandal, OR shoe BoD, I also got zero barbed BoD's and not a single BoD that would possibly contribute to a barbed kit.

Are these figures abnormal? Is there some kind of trick to getting a sandal or bonnet BoD that I just don't know about? Are you unable to get a BoD of any kind that can create or contribute to a barbed runic kit until legendary skill?

I'm just wondering why it is I'm getting screwed out of any sort of decent BoD. I forgot to count the exact ratio of exceptional to normal BoD's, but I know for a fact that the vast majority of exceptional BoD's I did get were 10's.

Any kind of input would be much appreciated.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's definitely something wrong with tailor BODs.

As of my last sample, now totalling 2759 BODs, the numbers are as follows:

By material type:

Cloth: 54.295%
Leather: 16.419%
Spined: 17.796%
Horned: 8.518%
Barbed: 2.972%

My guess is that 70% of the BODs are coming out 70% cloth/leather, 18% Spined, 9% horned, 3% barbed, whether intended or not. 0 Barbed BODs from 111 is well within those kind of probabilities.

Larges are supposed to be 8% or so of BODs; only 3 is on the low side, but also within expected amounts. In my sample above, I have gotten 8.88%.

Do note that, unlike Valorite Hammers needing Valorite BODs, there are insane numbers of tailor BODs that give Barbed runics.

• 2 Spined 20-count 6-part Exceptional Larges (male suit & female pieces sets) = 2 larges, 12 smalls
  • 6 Horned 6-part Exceptional Larges (all exceptionals for the male & female larges) = 6 Larges, 36 smalls
  • 2 Barbed 20-count 5-part Exceptional Larges (the Studded suit and the Bone suit) = 2 Larges, 10 smalls
  • 6 Barbed 6-part Exceptional Larges (all exceptionals for the male & female larges) = 6 Larges, 36 smalls
  • 2 Barbed 20-count 6-part NORMAL Larges = 2 Larges, 12 smalls
Total: 18 larges, 106 Smalls. Note that it's probable that you got 1-4 smalls for the Barbed kit sets in your 19 spined/horned smalls. On average, one gets 1 small to fit a Barbed kit large every 25 smalls of any type.

There are similar numbers for Horned Kits (make stuff almost as good as Barbed kits), with 104 smalls going to larges for them, and those include 4 LEATHER Exceptional Quality 6-part BODs (the 10-count and 15-count, both male and female).

The 4-piece normal 20 cloth LBOD you got will give a Spined Kit, which is good for making PvM Mage, Tamer or Bard armor (high physical resist if you use Spined leather, and with 3 properties, no longer capped, you can get 130-140 luck pieces with 15-20% LRC, and maybe additional resists, Mana regen or LMC as a 3rd property).

the 6-piece Horned LBOD is a Horned Kit LBOD, and is well worth filling (and should be easy to fill, given than currently there appears to be 2/1 Normal/exceptional BOD imbalance)

X

Xadius

Awesome response. That almost covers everything I was curious about.

I've turned in another 102 smalls in hopes of at the very least getting a bonnet, sandal, or shoe BoD. It was all for naught. That's not including the hourly cycling from my two .1 tailors, and my two 50 tailors. Are those BoD's special in some way? Do I need a specific skill range (20-40 perhaps) to obtain them? Not being able to fill a Spined Runic LBOD because of these is quite irritating.

Also, I've broken 300 turn in's on my tailor who is now 117.2, and have yet to be given any SBOD that goes towards a Barbed Runic, a LBOD Barbed runic, or even a Barbed SBOD period. It's getting on the ridiculous side.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe that, below 70 skill, you are almost always only going to get BODs that one can make the items for.

X

Xadius

So what about post 70? Are you no longer able to get certain BoD's post 70? Because from the looks of it I have to be at an exact range just to pick up these three specific BoD's.

There's about 10 cloth BoD's I get over, and over, and over again across all of my characters. Then 6 that I really need (that are near the exact same skill required in tailoring to craft) that I've yet to see ONE of. I wish the BoD system was clarified better.

New questions: If I wait the full 6 hours on my main tailor to get a BoD, do I have any sort of improved chance to get an LBOD? 6 out of the last 9 times I've waited the full 6 hours I've gotten and LBOD. Compared to the 1 out of the last ~100 turn in's.

Furthermore, does the location of the tailor (by city), or the type (weaver/tailor) have any effect on BoD distribution type?

Lastly wouldn't it be better to use 7 Horned Runic Kits in an attempt of getting that "ideal" piece of armor (using all 210 charges on say only gloves), than it would be to use only 1 Barbed Runic Kit? From a statistical standpoint I'd imagine you'd have a better chance of turning out a great piece of armor with the horned.

The reason I used the above example is I can purchase Horned Kits at ~300k per, where Barbed on my shard go for 2.1-2.5.

Thanks a ton for all your feedback Basara.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So what about post 70? Are you no longer able to get certain BoD's post 70? Because from the looks of it I have to be at an exact range just to pick up these three specific BoD's.

There's about 10 cloth BoD's I get over, and over, and over again across all of my characters. Then 6 that I really need (that are near the exact same skill required in tailoring to craft) that I've yet to see ONE of. I wish the BoD system was clarified better.
After 70, you can get any of the tailor BODs (exceptional and colored leather BODS become available), but they still tend to be ones you can gain skill on, in the 70s & 80s, which is weird, because that part of the code is supposed to go away at 70 (I know it does for a smith).

New questions: If I wait the full 6 hours on my main tailor to get a BoD, do I have any sort of improved chance to get an LBOD? 6 out of the last 9 times I've waited the full 6 hours I've gotten and LBOD. Compared to the 1 out of the last ~100 turn in's.

Furthermore, does the location of the tailor (by city), or the type (weaver/tailor) have any effect on BoD distribution type?
No, to both these. One has to remember that there is something really imbalanced with the Random Number Generator for UO in general, so as that it produces streaks of similar numbers more than a well-built RNG does. As a result, when you do mass turn ins for new BODs, you will have instances with getting more of 1 type than others (one time, for example, I turned in 150 or so BODs, and got SEVEN Fancy Shirt BODs the same quality and count, out of 9 BODs that would fit that specific cloth LBOD).

So, if you get a streak where the numbers keep hitting in the "cloth" range, you get more cloth than normal. However, it's possible for the numbers to go the other way. A few turn-ins ago, I can't remember the exact date, but you can find it in the sticky "Tailor BOD" thread, I got an abnormally high number of Horned Leather BODs, many of which went toward horned kit and barbed kit larges. Other times, the streak might hit in the checks for "LBOD or small", and you get 10 or 15 larges out of 100.

Lastly wouldn't it be better to use 7 Horned Runic Kits in an attempt of getting that "ideal" piece of armor (using all 210 charges on say only gloves), than it would be to use only 1 Barbed Runic Kit? From a statistical standpoint I'd imagine you'd have a better chance of turning out a great piece of armor with the horned.

The reason I used the above example is I can purchase Horned Kits at ~300k per, where Barbed on my shard go for 2.1-2.5.

Thanks a ton for all your feedback Basara.
No Problem; I'm here to help.

And, yes, it is usually MUCH cheaper and easier to make suits with many Horned Kits than 1 or 2 barbed kits. Barbed kits really only come into play when you try to make something that HAS to have 5 properties (say, a mana regen 2 piece with LMC & LRC, that has to have higher than normal in 2 resists - and you could end up burning 10 barbed kits without getting the right combination).

A way to look at it is a gambling analogy.

Horned Kits are like a local, low-stakes, poker night, where everyone brings $100. Most of the time, you won't win much or lose much, but can still come out $100 or more ahead on a really good night (And probably won't lose more than $30-50, unless you have a really bad night or are totally lousy at poker). The games will take hours to play, and you'll come out of it with the sense you did something that night.

Barbed Kits are like putting taking $100 and putting $25 bets down on a single number of a roulette wheel, for 4 spins. You probably won't win, and will lose a lot of money - but if you DO hit, you'll get a REALLY big return for one of those bets. However, win or lose, you'll be done in less than 10 minutes.

X

Xadius

Despite this thread being overall disappointing answers, it was quite informative all around lol. The only good news was about the horned kits, everything else was pretty hard to swallow.

Regardless, thanks again.