• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Magincia Public Garden - Cost of Gardener!

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For years I kept the Baja Magincia Public Garden going. TOBY and I would change the plants according to the season and/or Holiday. It was something we enjoyed doing for the shard but after watering, adding potions to each of the 160 plus plants every day we got burned out and pulled up the plants. I even pulled up my plants that I had planted around my Magincia house that were 4 years old.

For a while I had been asking for a way to hire a gardener to tend plants and of course within 2 weeks of me pulling up all the plants UO came out with gardener contracts that you could buy. That was good zen practice. That's all I'll say about that. :mad:

So now time has past, a couple years, and I've decided to do the garden again since it will be much simpler to do when using these new contracts.

So @Mesanna , this morning I proudly planted my first seed, went over to Isobel the Gardener to buy her contract and the cost was over 10,100 gold!!! For 2 weeks she will care for my lil one plant for over 10,100 gold. So @Bleak there are over 160 plantable spots in the garden which means in order for me to not have to care for each and every plant(160) every day, I will incur an expense of over 3,300,00 gold per month, or 40 million gold per year. Even the Royal Botanical Garden or the Brooklyn Botanical garden's budgets aren't that high!

I think if the cost was more realistic, say comparable to what a armor repair deed costs then maybe there would be more idiots, I mean people like me, that would enjoy creating a public garden. I can create a garden in my house for free (raised garden bed) but when doing one that is public, for the public, I think 40 million gold is beyond my and most players capability to do something nice for the shard.

I love that the gardener deed was implemented. Thank you for that. If the price was modified I would greatly appreciate it.

Now I know this doesn't effect most of you but please have so compassion for old farts like me.

:Begging:

Thank you.
AW

PaulCH

Journeyman
Maybe they could implement a system that would allow players to donate to the NPC gardeners. Anything donated would automatically go to gardening contracts for the Public Magincia Garden as they expire.

The only thing that I'm not sure how to accommodate is swapping plants. You mentioned being able to pull plants? In that case, I assume that you could keep them. In the system that I've proposed, you'd theoretically be able to plant seeds, have the public pay for them then take them out.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you don't tend (water, apply potions) the plants every day they will die within a few days. After the plants mature, within a week of so of planting the seed, you can remove the plant which turns into a deco item. This leaves just a dirt area in the garden which can then be replanted with another seed. Only the person who planted the seed can remove or tend the plant. But anyone can plant a seed if there is a spot open.
There are only a handful of shards that have any plants in the Magincia garden.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't really think the gardeners were meant as a long term replacement for players tending to plants. I believe they were added because players who cared for plants on a long term basis needed a way to keep plants alive during things like vacations, etc.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
10k for 2 weeks doesn't seem too bad to me. Yes, it adds up, but not many are running that many plants all at once.

But it did make me think of this, from long, long ago...

50kmage.jpg