• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Magincia and mages - anyone having luck w/o mage weapons?

K

KakaJoe

I'm getting magery gains from all the rezzing I'm doing as well as being a good sport healing melee'ers looting in the midst of firefields, but other than picking off the rotting corpses and lich lords w/my undead slayer sb, my demon slayer sb seems wasted except with the occasional "regular" demon that spawns.

Is anyone having better luck other than using mage weapons? I managed to get looting rights the first day on a beserker demon and a dark father in an uncrowded field but have had nothing worthwhile loot-wise since then. (Mind you, I'm still enjoying this as my first "even" in UO.)

T

Tazar

I am getting looting rights regularly as a mage only using my demon slayer spellbook. Stick to the physical damage spells especially earthquake to do decent damage on most of the demon types.

I

imported_Ill Saint

When I play the invasion on my spellcaster I mostly stuck to playing a support role -- healing, ressing, dispelling revenants and so on. I chuck EVs regularly and use Word of Death on DF's to get looting rights, but 90% of the time I can't get to the corpse because of the crazy fire fields. All good fun, though.

V

vorius

Earthquake? Its been many years since I last used that spell, and from what I remember the only thing this spell netted you was a criminal flag and a horde of blue pks mobbing you! I guess this has changed?

T

Tazar

After having an adrenalin triggered heart-attack while PVP'ing about 6 years ago, I tend to play PVM and Tram a lot more now, so I am not sure on the effects in fel.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like all other Area of Effect spells, Earthquake no longer hits other blues around you if you are blue. It is still a little bit risky to use in Felucca, since any grey or red around you will get hit and can then kill you without getting a murder count, but at least you will not get notoed by all the blues around you.
It's actually a pretty good PvM spell since it's the only Magery AoE spell which deals full damage to all creatures in range instead of splitting damage between targets. It's also the only way to deal direct Physical damage with Magery, otherwise you have to summon Earth Elementals.

BTW, it's very easy to get looting rights on a daemon berserker with Earthquake. Even if a warrior with a mystic weapon deals much more damage, the additional damage dealt by the mystic is apparently not counted for looting rights. So the ~70 damage you will deal with 10 Earthquakes will be enough to guarantee your looting rights

Of course you need max LMC and high MR to be able to cast so many Earthquakes in a row.

K

KakaJoe

I've had no problem getting an earthquake or three in but it has meant little except additional risk of targeting by beserker -- and I'm at almost 110 magery and 115 eval intel w/demonslayer sb in hand ...

Of course, Great Lakes shard has no lack of archers and melee'ers w/demon slayer weapons in hand whom I'm competing for rights with, so I'm also ressurecting and cross-healing my bottom off. (If only the archers would learn to stop standing next to me when I'm trying to keep the field healed - it's the only time I'm fizzling from getting badly flamed by the beserker fire fields.)

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I remeber right, you need to do 10% of the damage of the top-damager to egt looting rights. So I guess ... the more players are shooting on a berserker the more likely you will get looting rights.