• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

magical paper lantern?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have this magical paper lantern that I have no idea where it came from. I put it in my pond and turned it on. It won't stay on. What's up with that?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could be the water shorted it out? It is paper also, which doesn't do well in the water either...
(Sorry Rhiannon, couldn't resist...)

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol.... Forgive me for that one, but you know if it wasn't me then it would have been somebody else....
However, you do have me curious as to what this magical paper lantern looks like and where it came from. Any chance you could post a pic? :)

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll try to remember to take a pic of it. It's bluish in color and I have no idea where I got it. Found nothing on uoguide.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow... Sounds like a rare... Does it stay on anywhere?

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think it's an event item, as I have one somewhere too.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is a blue, it's an em event item from an Asian Shard. The on version is very slight blue from the off version. Not sure why it wouldn't be staying lit. Averge sale price is around 750k depending on shard.

Hope that helps.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a picture of it in my pond with a peach faerie sitting on top of it:

I don't know if it stays on all the time somewhere else as I've never used it before. Like I said - I'm not sure where I got it from. Lots of good friends have given me things over the last 8 months. Maybe one of them had it.

I searched an unmentionable site and see that on Atlantic, they start at 500k. I have no intension of selling it. I'm COLLECTING rares (at least pretty ones for decoration). I'm just surprised that there is no mention of it on uoguide.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Guide doesn't mention the EM event items, which that and the fairy both were. Both were from an asian shard. If you click the fairy, she makes a sparkle effect :)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's beautiful... When you finalize the pond, I hope you post pics...

Aislinn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's beautiful... When you finalize the pond, I hope you post pics...
It "turns on" when someone walks near it and "turns off" when you walk away. I think it's you have to be withint 3 tiles of it. That's supposed to be the magical part. And yes, I annoyed my daughter by having her help me test that out...a dozen or two or three times.

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughs*
Thanks for the tip, Aislinn, and annoying our daughters is payback for all those sleepless nights when they were babies. ;)
I'll try to get a picture of the pond, Startle. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave the lantern in there since I didn't know you had to be within 3 tiles of it to make it come on. My purpose of HAVING the lantern in there was to have light in that area of the roof. I'll probably redo it with another light source.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughs*..... I haven't decided if I'm going to leave the lantern in there since I didn't know you had to be within 3 tiles of it to make it come on. My purpose of HAVING the lantern in there was to have light in that area of the roof. I'll probably redo it with another light source.
Oh, but you HAVE to have it in there - that would be so cool (for it to come on when you sit down on your rustic bench beside the pond)... I know you can figure out a way to leave it "in" the pond (or at least right next to the pond)... What a great effect.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I'm a bit compulsive about things and the Fairy and the light source has to be in the MIDDLE of the pond. So sticking to my own self-imposed rules, I'd had to make the pond smaller so that when I did go by it, or sit on the bench, which is what I had planned to add to it (did you read my mind?), it will come on. It's kinda funny - I didn't really plan for the Fairy to be sitting on it that way. I just was looking for a light source that would make her show up better and found that lantern in my "house decorations" box. Once I put it in there, it looked like she was supposed to be sitting on it. Note: the fairy is also a gift. Another note: I have been given so many wonderful gifts by friend new and old the past 9 months I've been back. It's been wonderful. And I appreciate each and every one of the items and their givers.
:hug:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It really is pretty. Here's a thought (don't know if it'll work).... could you place a tinkered valorite lantern directly underneath your paper lantern, then use the deco tool to adjust them to the best height?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hum. That's a very interesting idea. When my tinkerer gets her skill high enough, we'll give it a go!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The lanterns were the Asian NewYears item a couple years ago I think.

Anyway they are very pretty .... I have no idea why it keeps going out did you set the security on it? Maybe one of your friends is turning out your lights for you.

As for lights I like the ones you get from killing stuff in the final room in the crystal palace. I forget exactly what they are called but they are orangish little lights that are nice and small .... I wish I could remember the name of them.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think any of my friends are turning off the lantern. It's unreachable after I changed the tiles to water around it. If you can find out what those lights are you can't remember the name of, I'll look them up on the guide. I really struggle with nice lighting and am always looking for different ideas. One I read about a long time ago that I'm using now with moderate success is to use a heating stand and lantern. You raise the heating stand up just enough and it makes the lantern look like it's flickering. Problem I'm having is that sometimes when I login they are flickering and sometimes they are not. Very annoying. But I love the rustic look of it and use it in my girls' work room.