• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Magery or Spellweaving on tamer - pro's/con's

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

I've read some threads regarding using Spellweaving to keep pets healed from a distance and it got me wondering if any of you tamers that have it on your template would weigh-in here. Or, for that matter, any of you Tamer/Mages that prefer magery.... And not just for the distance healing, but for any other spells you use regularly....

A discussion of the pro's and con's of each would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers
:thumbup:

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you cant just heal with spell weaving.. even a level 6 focus gift of renewal isn't enough. the timer is short and the delay is long.

gift of life tho is really helpful.

you really need both sw and magery if your going that way.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the question people generally ask themselves is not if you should have magery on your template but what casting support skills do you give up for Spellweaving. (assuming you are a casting tamer vs a warrior tamer).

Before Spellweaving a straight up mage tamer might have looked like this (I know you can get constructive with +skill items and some things don't need to be at 120 but I am keeping it simple):

PvP:
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Taming
120 Lore

PvM:
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet

Now we hit Mondain's Legacy and Spellweaving proves itself useful. Many PvM Templates dropped Eval or Vet and picked up Spellweaving. When MR benefit wasn't effected by meditation, wealthy individuals who could afford good MR suits would even drop meditation for Spellweaving instead of Eval. Some people today run casting tamers without meditation but I personally do not like that route.

PvP templates almost always use Spellweaving even at 0 skill. Human's have 20 JOAT Spellweaving. At 20 joat skill you have more than a 50% chance to cast a few of the Spellweaving spells (gift of renewal for example). 0 skill Spellweaving spells are still useful as long as you get a level six arcane focus which is even easier to get people for at zero skill.

Now I am presuming you are talking PvM here and another option you may want to consider is Discord. Here is a discord configuration I go with:

120 Magery
120 Med
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Music
120 Disco

Again if you wanted Spellweaving you could swap it for med. It is really important to have 120 Music and Disco; Magery, taming, Lore, Spellweaving/Med can be less. (115 Lore/110 Taming is the suggested minimum so things such as dread mares and bane dragons can be controlled at 99%)

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hummm first of PvP or PvM

I am guessing PvM since in PvP you should already know about hybrid templates and not much is really 120, soooo

A pure Mage template of Mage, eval, med, tame, lore, vet is a very old tried and true template.

I have one and love to play him hes easy to play and allows for close vetting and can DUMP mana like crazy espicially with a mana regen suit.

once again more questions if you have a nice regen suit you really dont ned med at all.

so for a strong casting tamer template you can look at

Taming, Love, Vet, SW, Mysticism, Focus

this allows for a pet tanking whatever you want, sucubi with are spells cause a minimal problem.

SW allows for WoD a great finisher and a few extra offensive spell, mysticism is the extra caster and healer/curer you are close to your pet thow and vetting over and over.

now you can use stnad off healing and go back to

Taming, Lore, (Vet to res) Mage, Eval, SW, Chiv This gives you stand off healing and curing.

you can add necro to your tamer which if you are fighitn MOBs you can resurect dead to add more minions to the fight.

I would like some more info on your fighting style to better work up a template that suits you there are just way to many ways to go with imbuing, and skills nowadays

I have a pure mage tamer, mystic tamer, necro tamer, red stealth gimp tamer, and a nice SW mage tamer I have even played a bard tamer at a time or two. The trick is a nice suit and not trying to do to much at one time which can be done very easy. With the EC and pinco key and macros are SUPER easy for the tamer.

:danceb:

Y

Yalp

I have a very successful Mage/Tamer/Weaver. I use imbued ring/brace to pull pets in and out of the stables so I still have my 14 stable slots!

Mage
Eval
Med
Lore
Tame
Vet
Weave

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason a spellweaver tamer can get away without having vet is because of really just one spell...arcane empowerment.

With a level 6 focus this spell lasts roughly 30 seconds, but what it does is increase the amount of damage healed by magery. Lets assume you heal 50 points of damage per Greater Heal, if you arcane empower then Greater Heal you can heal about 75-90 points of damage per heal. This allows you to spend less mana healing and/or allow you to get your pet back to the comfort zone in case of a mistake/screw up.

The idea for of adding spellweaving is for the finishing word of death on high end bosses along with other utility spells to keep you alive longer, etc. Doing a Lady Melisande for example, you would cast on lady mel and allow your dragon to tank, you gift of renewel the dragon and when it gets to a certain point (half life;3/4 life) you arcane empower and heal your pet to full life, along with your party. Then near the end you get the most badass pvm spell of all time, word of death and finish the boss off faster. If you were to get in trouble you can use the gift of life to res the pet, but remember it doesn't last forever.. so it's best to not worry about ressing the pet but keeping it alive instead. I ran a spellweaver mage no vet for a long time and I loved it.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My 2 Mage/Tamer templates look like this.

120 Taming
120 Lore
GM Vet
GM Magery
GM Eval
GM Med
80 Resist
Uses Swords of Prosperity for -0 Mage Wep and 200 Luck

110 Taming (115 with Talisman)
110 Lore (115 with Talisman)
GM Vet
GM Magery
GM Eval
GM Med
GM Resist
Uses Swords of Prosperity for -0 Mage Wep and 200 Luck.

If any of them skills can be sacrificed for SW in PvM, it'd be Resist.