• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Magery and using weapons

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, so it's been a while since I've actively done PvP. I was wondering if there was a formidable mage template that uses weapons and bushido? Or is this a waste of time? Just one vs. one field fights and helping with the occasional spawn would be the likely scenario for me.

I was thinking of the following (based on what I have scrolls for on a new character):

120 Weapon
110 Magery
115 Eval
115 Resist
120 Bushido

Again over a year since I've PvP'ed on an every day basis. Not sure if it makes sense any more. Do I add 90 tactics...or higher for specials and additional damage? Do I have just 90 tactics and dump the rest in meditation and use MR+ armor in addition to that? Or is this just a stupid idea and I forget the idea of tactics and add poisoning? I have run an open-field template before using ninjitsu, but I was just kind of looking for something different.

Any input, good or bad is appreciated ahead of time. Thanks.

X

Xizz

Mhh, i'd say you really need Meditation :p
Bush/Mages were pretty common before Nerve Strike
got nerfed.
If i remember right they were something likeee..

120 swords
120 magery
120 eval
120 resist
100/120 med
90+ bushido (for nerve strike).

Now, im not sure what you want to do with Bushido on a mage?
Without parry you cant evade or block. If you're gonna duel confidence wont help much.
Light Strike is nice, when it crits. But..only then :p.
Nerve Strike...ok, its decent now. But in my opinion, not really worth it anymore.

If you want to be a wep mage, go for tactics.

But that's only my opinion! :) Hope it helped some atleast.

Im tired and my english is crap so if its unclear i can try to explain better, if i can find my dictionary.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, well thanks for the input.

Yeah, I was reading another thread...not sure the accuracy and I haven't kept up on anything, but it had stated that there is an 80 dexterity requirement and need 100 anatomy and 100 tactics to have bushido be effective.

Yeah, I was just looking at something different as far as a weapons mage, like you said.

S

Sir Kenga

80 dex requirement is only for parrying. If u don't have it, don't worry bushido doesn't require any stats.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
80 dex requirement is only for parrying. If u don't have it, don't worry bushido doesn't require any stats.
Okay good call. Yes, I knew it was for parry but I hadn't been sure as far as the bushido part. Thanks, good call.

I know from some of the templates I've ran with ninjitsu that it is a more open-field template or something of that nature...lol kinda tired so bear with me. Can bushido work the same way or more defensive I guess? I know they've made a lot of changes to how it works so...I'm not sure.

What do you think?

S

Sir Kenga

If u wanna use defensive/offensive bushido u can use templ Xizz suggested, but drop resist for parrying =)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that is true I suppose. I would have to have the 80 dexterity then, and it would seem funny to not have resist spells.

So, something like this then?

As Follows:

120 Swords
120 Bushido
120 Parry
120 Magery
120 Eval
90+ Tactics (In order to use specials)

Use items instead of resist?

S

Sir Kenga

U should try it and tell us how it goes. Here on forums template looks funny, but how it will work on field?

S

Shot

Yeah that is true I suppose. I would have to have the 80 dexterity then, and it would seem funny to not have resist spells.

So, something like this then?

As Follows:

120 Swords
120 Bushido
120 Parry
120 Magery
120 Eval
90+ Tactics (In order to use specials)

Use items instead of resist?
I think if you are going to use a template like this LRC is gonna be tough to fit in, maybe go with macing for wep sk and use a boomstick. That'll give you 30 pts. Between LRC, Spell Dam., HCI and DCI, well, seems like a tough suit to put together!

Personally, I don't see much offense here, but you will be tough to kill.

S

Sir Kenga

Not too good idea to be dependant on lrc in hands. You will be disarmed for whole 5 second and lose not only offense but defenseive healing...

L

Locker

If you are going to go 120 Bushido why does it make sense to waste points on Parrying? From what I've read with 120 Bushido and a 2h weapon you parry better than Parrying with a Shield anyway.

The down side seems to be (once again from what I've read) that you have one less item (the shield) with which to boost your stats (HCI, DI, etc).

Sorry to jump in I'm just working on a Bushido template myself and thought I finally had it straight that with high bushido and 2h weapon I didn't need Parry.

Peace all,

Locker

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are going to go 120 Bushido why does it make sense to waste points on Parrying? From what I've read with 120 Bushido and a 2h weapon you parry better than Parrying with a Shield anyway.

Sorry to jump in I'm just working on a Bushido template myself and thought I finally had it straight that with high bushido and 2h weapon I didn't need Parry.
So at 120 parry and 120 bushido.. with a one handed weapon its a 33% chance to block and with a 2 handed weapon its a 35% chance to block. Just basically having both is a better chance to block. What else I am not sure at the moment lol

I think if you are going to use a template like this LRC is gonna be tough to fit in, maybe go with macing for wep sk and use a boomstick. That'll give you 30 pts. Between LRC, Spell Dam., HCI and DCI, well, seems like a tough suit to put together!

Personally, I don't see much offense here, but you will be tough to kill.
Yeah I was thinking that Shot. Good defense but little offense. I have a brace with 15 DCI and FCR3 and some other goodies so I guess I will just test it out and see. Maybe I'll go to test and see how it goes. lol, or I might stick with my ninjitsu template. I guess if its not broke don't fix it. Just was looking for a different flavor.

Thanks for the input.

G

GFY

What you might want to try is something like this;

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Weapon 120
Tactics 120

You'll need posts, trapped boxes, petals, etc.

But you'll be able to cast spells with no problems and if you use a weapon with the right special, bleed, paralyze, mortal strike, etc... it can be very effective. With the change in casting and weapons specials not being able to stack any more it is a bit more difficult to accomplish but it can be done.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But you'll be able to cast spells with no problems and if you use a weapon with the right special, bleed, paralyze, mortal strike, etc... it can be very effective. With the change in casting and weapons specials not being able to stack any more it is a bit more difficult to accomplish but it can be done.
Yeah good point. Actually GFY I had been pondering doing something like that. Seemed more feasible than the other few templates I had been thinking of.

G

GFY

This can be a very good and effective template but it is a bit of a compromise. You have to divide stat points between Dex and Int. You need a bit higher dex then a wrestle mage and it will cost you int points.

You can make up for this by using very fast weapons. I look for weapon with bleed, disarm, armor ignore, and poison. You won't have high level poison but it can still be effective at lower levels. You can get this combination with a warfork and kryss and fencing.

Be careful when adding arties, some of the high dex bonus arties aren't medable and will hurt your mana regen.

I was mistaken about carrying trapped boxes because you will be able to have 120 resist on the template.

C

Chaosy

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 100
Resist 120
Weapon 120
Tactics 90
Chiv 50

Chiv for remove curse and the occasional divine fury spam. You don't need that high dex. My tank mages all have 100 str, 125 int, 30 dex. I'd go with macing for concussion blows in the field. Exp/fs/conc/conc has killed plenty of people for me since they usually run after the exp fs, and if you chase well you can chain 2 concs on them before they can greater heal through it. I prefer to use a regular mace (or diamond mace) and a ubws war fork. Armor ignore is not worth it because it's a mana hog and the fast AI weapons won't do enough without high tactics/anat.