• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mage - wrestle or anatomy....

C

Chiera

I've revamped one of my mages from scribe nox to necro, and want to ad a bit of defensive capability. It's mainly used for champs and the occasional pvp there. Skills now are

magery 120
eval 120
resist 115
med 80
necro 105
ss 110
wrestle 70

With items I could get to 80 anotomy if I dropped wrestle. Not sure though if that would really be an imprvement since I'd lose the disarm move from wrestle. Another option would be 6 x120 in mage and necro skills, and using a mage wep. Don't feel comfortable though with relying on a mage wep.

Any opinions ?!?

Thanks in advance

Uncle Talbo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just comming by this forum to basically post the same question.

my template right now is
eval 113
mage 110
resist 110
necro 103
med 104
s speak 92
posion 86 stoned 78 spell weaving for this.

when i try a champ spawn i have to cast protection and reactive armor ( so i can cast in a mob) but this sets me up for the okie doke when a raider comes in because it drops my resist way down = me dead.
my suit is one of those spring turn ins that gives 70's all resist and 100% lrc
I havent read anywhere this suits pros and cons for fighting, but given i cant seem to get any runic kits ( dont have the patience to collect bods) Im thinking that this suit is adequate.
my jewlery gives me fcr5 and fc2 (which is negated when icast protection)
and i use a mr 3 sdi 28 spell book.
mostly i can get a spawn up to the champ but cant seem to beat the champ.( have only tried coon which gets raided before i do too much damage, and the necromancer which i couldnt even dent her.)
so any ideas on change from experience is welcome.

see ya in the fight.

R

RichDC

If you are going to seriously fight PvP i think you need to get used to casting in the mob without protection, otherwise all your going to be able to do in a fight is heal yourself.

Im not a good PvP mage by any means but i roll a nox necro at champs and for the actual champ spawn bit works awesome:

120mage
120eval
120med
120SS
105necro
80poisoning (ish jus a lil above)
40Spell weaving.

Just have to get used to self targeting with tho poison fields to clear the mob and wither.

I use an orny, Crystaline ring,Inquis, AOF (looking for folded steel glasses)have a HOM atm, and a sc no pen 14%dci weap.
And then runic pieces on the rest.

C

Chiera

oh yeah... I miss the poison field self AoE AoE combos.... Looks much more dramatic than wither :) Nice template you have, with decent sdi you deal pretty much damage and you can clear the lower lvl spawn pretty fast. For pvp, living (or, well.. dying ;) ) without resist is something else I would't feel comfortable with. Trapped boxes are only a very partial solution imo. But that's more a question of personal preference I think.

120 med is a little overpowered in my opinion though. For me 80 is ok with some decent MR and maxed lmc on the suit. Mana is not a problem. So it would free another 40 points.

R

RichDC

Agreed it is only partial, but tbh pots,apples and trap boxes do cure all ails a mage will dump (i dont carry a shield jus the sword) and when i get those glasses ill be at 49% DCI to annoy those pesky dexxers :)

I dont think i would go back to resist but i may go back to scribe, Atm for PvP im well over the SDI cap, for champs i also carry every type of super slayer so really can clear spawns easy, the 40 SW though is a god-send...

with a high focus you get a fairly long lasting self res (right by your body for inst SS to max hp..you start at about 1/4), Nice damage absorbtion, high hpr(on top of suit HPR) and Natures furies!!!!

Those lil bad boys clear 3rd level rat quicker than 2 EV's...If i follow with withers and poison fields.

Just read the med bit: for PvP i still run out of mana (mostly because i dont know what im doing :p) but its something i wouldnt choose to get rid of, when i solo a Barry i lose mana at about 1/2 health...when i cast fireballs with 120med and wisp and about 9or 10 mr i fairly quickly am back up to full mana (especially if she dumps spawn)

C

Chiera

you actually made me curious. I still have sw and poison stoned, so I might actually give it a resistless try. Sounds like a fun setup the least :)

R

RichDC

It is fun, but you do kind of rely on pots and trapped boxes, you can manage to group PvP without (altho i cant in group or not lol) however that was the template i got shown and i do love it!!

A few more macros to remember as well, if there werent enough as it is for a necro mage!!!lol

Oh one other thing...make sure you keep refresh pots as well (strangle after a resistless pain strike...not nice lol!)

C

Chiera

A few more macros to remember as well, if there werent enough as it is for a necro mage!!!lol
hehe you name it... I redid my main mage macros yesterday after I had them on the same keys for the last 7 years.... the first few hours I was merely random casting since I still pressed the old buttens more often than the new ones. Best thing was that I found myself spamming harm instead of fb from max distance ;) Think I am getting old :/

A

Arch Magus

I highly recommend 6x Necro mage.
120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 ss
115 necro
100 med
40 focus

I run 40 focus for Stamina, helps with pushthrough and for PVP, strangles or whatever.

The mage weapon is a minor problem. Now that spellbooks can be Equip Last Weapon, switching between books and staff of magi is not a big deal anymore.

I run with just a suit, usually no items except maybe a couple apples and some food. Sometimes a bola or 2. I'm almost always solo, and I've worked with what Ihave for years.

If your mage is mostly for spawning and not PVP, Resist can be stoned off.
Personally, I would never take off resist, it helps too much against other mages with 120 eval and 120 magery.

G

GFY

Looks like a good necromage template.

1 question however; why 115 necro?

I always heard go to 105 or 120 if you want easier animate dead.

C

Chaosy

Less chance to fail revs (but if you're going to use them that much you might as well go 120).

Maybe lack of other things to put the points in? (I think 10 more focus/med in his case would help more)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Maybe cause not enough funds to go 120...la. Is always what I did when I wanted something to 120 if I could not find the scroll. Now not so sure, but back in the day could take weeks or more depending on what scroll you were hunting around for.

C

Chiera

Maybe cause not enough funds to go 120...la. Is always what I did when I wanted something to 120 if I could not find the scroll. Now not so sure, but back in the day could take weeks or more depending on what scroll you were hunting around for.
na, there's no shortage on necro scrolls at all. Due to cramped up templates most seem to go for the 105 option anyway. With 115 you can always use BS or skill jewelery to make the 120 full.