• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

-Mage Weapon Choice?

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So I made a -20 Mage Weapon for my PvP mage. Obviously it's solely for defensive purposes, even with the Hit Lightning mod.

Is there a go to choice for a -Mage Weapon?

The reason I ask is because I see alot of people using Planeswords.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Fast wep for more chances to disrupt
2. Planesword for the 'free' hit spell
3. One-handed wooden weapon which can be enhanced with 2 HPR

Most people will use a kryss or bok, or a planesword - if they have poisoning they may use an assassin spike or dagger or somesuch. It's down to personal preference really.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends on if your intent is to use it for real melee or not. If you are going to still concentrate on spells instead of melee, use something with -0 Magery like the Swords of Prosperity, Staff of the Magi, or Staff of Pyros. There might be a few others I can't remember.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Depends on if your intent is to use it for real melee or not. If you are going to still concentrate on spells instead of melee, use something with -0 Magery like the Swords of Prosperity, Staff of the Magi, or Staff of Pyros. There might be a few others I can't remember.
Except none of them are 1 handed ;)

Yep I'm focusing on casting. The weapon is just there for the defensive purposes and maybe a few swings and hit spell effects when I'm not casting.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
1. Fast wep for more chances to disrupt
2. Planesword for the 'free' hit spell
3. One-handed wooden weapon which can be enhanced with 2 HPR
Hmm... interesting. I didn't think about the 3rd option there.

Didn't know that a Planesword gave you a free hit spell. Does it not count against the 500 cap when Imbuing?

if they have poisoning they may use an assassin spike or dagger or somesuch.
Pretty sure -Mage Weapons don't allow you to use Infectious Strike. Have to actually have a weapon skill.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I forgot :D

The reason Planeswords are so popular is because one of the mods on it (Spell Channelling I think?) has 0 imbue weight, meaning you basically get a free mod. I usually put Hit Fireball on mine, it's pretty nice for disrupts when fighting mages, plus the hit spell procs Spell Plague if you're a mystic.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With Reforging, you can reforge -15 Mage Wep onto a wep, allowing you to potentially negate it with +15 Magery on Jewelry. Make a bunch of GM Bokutos, then reforge them until you get the -15 Mage Wep you want. Then powder it up to 255 Dur. Then imbue the Dam Inc down to 1%, then imbue FC 1, SC, DCI, and Hit Lightning/Fireball or HLA on it. Then enhance it to Bloodwood using a Forged Metal of Artifacts for +2 HP Regen, the +16% Life Leech is worthless.

On my gargoyle I use a boomerang because it can goto 25dci.
If you're wearing a Shield at the same time though, your chance to hit with the Boomerang goes to ****, so Hit Spell/HLA/HLD on it is useless.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With Reforging, you can reforge -15 Mage Wep onto a wep, allowing you to potentially negate it with +15 Magery on Jewelry. Make a bunch of GM Bokutos, then reforge them until you get the -15 Mage Wep you want. Then powder it up to 255 Dur. Then imbue the Dam Inc down to 1%, then imbue FC 1, SC, DCI, and Hit Lightning/Fireball or HLA on it. Then enhance it to Bloodwood using a Forged Metal of Artifacts for +2 HP Regen, the +16% Life Leech is worthless.

If you're wearing a Shield at the same time though, your chance to hit with the Boomerang goes to ****, so Hit Spell/HLA/HLD on it is useless.
i think your off base here. i was lead to believe you needed the wheatstone of enervation which allows you to remove damage increase. your forgetting that you need the mage wepon prop as well.