• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Mage Suit

G

gandolf8

I want to make a leather Mage suit . I am 120 Imbuing , How do I make it as far as fire , poison and so on . thx

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It depends on how sophisticated you want the suit, and if you are including any non-crafted pieces.

The most basic totally-crafted suit would be to make exceptional regular leather pieces with normal tools.

Keep only pieces with most of the exceptional bonus concentrated in 3 or 4 of the resist slots, so that 1 or 2 resists are 5 or less.

Use powder of Fortification to take all the pieces to 255 durability

Imbue 18% LRC to all 6 pieces (a leather cap, or a circlet made by a smith). This will give you 108% LRC, using no special materials.

Now, Imbue each resist that is 5 or less to its maximum (requiring 10 boura pelts per success)

This will leave 2 or 3 open slots on each piece.

You can then add Mana Regen, LMC and/or Mana increase to those pieces, or imbue the next-lowest resist not 5 or less, until each piece has 5 properties.

Mix and match the suit pieces for the best effect.

If you feel really brave, you can then break- I mean attempt to enhance pieces to get them to better fit your suit's resist spread.

An alternative method would be to use low-end runics, which will give some properties automatically (with potential for higher resists than you can imbue), but with 9 less non-runic random resists, and sme pieces being totally unsuitable due to properties you don't want. I use this method myself, by I've got 50 spined, 30 horned and 15 barbed runics to play with. Other than starting with some properties, the method is the same as above.

O

Old Man of UO

The most basic totally-crafted suit would be to make exceptional regular leather pieces with normal tools.
This is an excellent question and a very good answer. I've wondered the same thing. You answer fleshed out just a bit would make a good guide: Imbuing - How to Build a Mage Suit

Then add others like: Building a Dexxer Suit

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding Basara's recommendation:
1. Use barbed leather and make regular leather pieces. If you need to go over in fire due to necromancers pvm/pvp casting on you then you may want to use horned to increase your fire. Plus, an all red suit looks cool. Barbed leather give an extra +2 total spread resist compared to horned. Horned give +11 spread resists compared to regular leather.
2. There is no reason to go over 100 LRC unless you want to swap out pieces in the future and it would be too expensive to remake the piece.
3. Imbue LMC first prior to resists or LRC.

One other consideration...If you are human then imbue one piece with night sight unless you are used to casting In Lor. Its free, but annoying sometimes.

You should look at the spells you will be casting on yourself or others may cast on you. Then consider going above max resists and if you happen to be a necro mage there is another level of over 70's you will need. For a necro-mage then to get to 110 fire resist and accomodating all the resist variations requires you become an expert in making suits.

protection = -15 physical
corpse skin = -15 fire, -15 poison
Did I miss a spell?

Necro requires an additional increase for the forms:
vamp form = -25 fire
wraith form = +15 phys, -5 fire, -5 energy
liche form = -10 fire, +10 cold, +10 poison

An ultimate mage suit will include arties, but maybe you can get by with a basic all 70's and 100 LRC. If you don't have relics for the LMC then use the spined kit on your leather items until you get the 8 LMC and this may be the first thing to do anyway.

-Lorax

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lorax, Barbed is only +12 resists (1 better than horned), not +13.

Valorite metal is +13, and some of the woods are +18, but the best leather is only +12.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Keep only pieces with most of the exceptional bonus concentrated in 3 or 4 of the resist slots, so that 1 or 2 resists are 5 or less.....If you feel really brave, you can then break- I mean attempt to enhance pieces to get them to better fit your suit's resist spread.

An alternative method would be to use low-end runics, which will give some properties automatically (with potential for higher resists than you can imbue), but with 9 less non-runic random resists.
If you wanted a chance of slightly higher fire resist but didn't want to take the chance of trying to enhance after imbuing, would there be any downsides to using horned leather for an extra 3 resist on each piece - say for example for a vamp-mage? And the same for wood with bloodwood for example...

So one might look for +8 LMC and high fire, then imbue that to save costs and improve resists?

Cheers,

Garm.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An ultimate mage suit will include arties, but maybe you can get by with a basic all 70's and 100 LRC. If you don't have relics for the LMC then use the spined kit on your leather items until you get the 8 LMC and this may be the first thing to do anyway.

-Lorax
What would you consider the start (arties) of the 'ultimate' mage suit?

I am getting ready to redo my mage/tamer, mage/necro/sw, bard/mage armors and would like to hear what you (and others) have to say.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Example, right now my mage/tamer/sw'er is wearing:

Hat of the Magi
Crystalline Ring
Ornament of the Magician
Armor of Fortune
Valorite Platemail Hiro Sode
Verite Platemail Mempo
Barbed Leather Leggings
Swords of Prosperity
Crimson Cincture
Conjurer's Garb (140 luck)
Soles of Providence

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With powder of Fortifying running 20k a dose at the cheapest I've seen it and only giving 10 durability to one item per dose, I'd say just replace the gear as needed.

I can make a 102% LRC, all 70's resist suit with 5 or 6 mana regen and some hp & stamina regen for about 50k gold in items other than the Nightsight Ichor which I just go get myself. I might use boura hides to nudge up a resist boost to an item if it means hitting 70 without using another imbueing spot.

Remember to try and spread the resist imbuings around the armor set so there are a couple spots left on each piece.