• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Mage advice under Felucca ruleset

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I've recently started a Bard/Mage that will be doing mostly PvM while being subject to the Fel ruleset (which I haven't experienced since Trammel emerged - and until recently, hadn't given a thought to - so - consider me an absolute, complete newbie when it comes to being attacked. I'll leave all retribution for that to my fighter currently raising skills on this new shard....), so I know my Mage/Bard will be confronted by one or more pk's from time to time.... My question to any of you who run a Mage in Fel is: Whats his best way to escape - since a Bard/Mage is totally defenseless when surprised and can only try to get away for another day. If I'm running Protection so I can't get interrupted, I've sacrificed all FC - but it would seem necessary, right?
Is there any Mage spell that would help in this situation? He's always mounted and Always Run is active.... He is very watchful for red names and has macro's assigned for misc. stuf...
Oh, btw,this char also has 100 Hiding...

So give me some good Mage advice.... :cool:

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I've recently started a Bard/Mage that will be doing mostly PvM while being subject to the Fel ruleset (which I haven't experienced since Trammel emerged - and until recently, hadn't given a thought to - so - consider me an absolute, complete newbie when it comes to being attacked. I'll leave all retribution for that to my fighter currently raising skills on this new shard....), so I know my Mage/Bard will be confronted by one or more pk's from time to time.... My question to any of you who run a Mage in Fel is: Whats his best way to escape - since a Bard/Mage is totally defenseless when surprised and can only try to get away for another day. If I'm running Protection so I can't get interrupted, I've sacrificed all FC - but it would seem necessary, right?
Is there any Mage spell that would help in this situation? He's always mounted and Always Run is active.... He is very watchful for red names and has macro's assigned for misc. stuf...
Oh, btw,this char also has 100 Hiding...

So give me some good Mage advice.... :cool:

1) Vs a Dexxer know where you area peace and Invis Macro's are. Nothing is more annoying than the ability to run into heavy spawn & invis at which point all of it is on your attacker. Simply spamming Area peace while running away is quite annoying too.

2) Vs a Mage if you don't have Resist you better have a Tbox. Don't even pretend that you will have a chance bc most likely you will be half dead BEFORE you realize your being attacked if they are any good. Run / Heal and protection Recall out if your in a recall area are decent ways to escape.

3) Have someone (a Friend) do the Usual methods of trying to kill you until you no longer have to think about appropriate responses. If your wonder which is your Tbox macro or where Arch Cure or your enchanted apple macro is your toast.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some great advice there, Vexxed - and it all makes perfect sense. Regarding Area Peace... is that so that you can run among the spawn and invis - or are humans susceptible to Peace by a bard under the Fel ruleset? (I know, stupid question - but I truly don't know)..

And I can have him train whatever skill he could possibly add for defense... My 14yr old Bard on Pacific carries Music/Disco/Peace/Provocation and Magery all at 120 real (the 4 bard skills are at 120 so he can achieve the maximum 8x Bard Mastery boost when wearing a Virtuoso Suit). The GM Hiding tops him out at 700. That's my main shard Bard...

But my Fel ruleset Bard is at about 97 real now, so I can stop him at 100 for the 4 Bard skills (since he won't have a Virtuoso suit any time soon probably)... That would free up an extra 80 points on his template for another skill, added to the 20 he has left now is a cool 100 points to put into something)... :cool:

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some great advice there, Vexxed - and it all makes perfect sense. Regarding Area Peace... is that so that you can run among the spawn and invis - or are humans susceptible to Peace by a bard under the Fel ruleset? (I know, stupid question - but I truly don't know)..

And I can have him train whatever skill he could possibly add for defense... My 14yr old Bard on Pacific carries Music/Disco/Peace/Provocation and Magery all at 120 real (the 4 bard skills are at 120 so he can achieve the maximum 8x Bard Mastery boost when wearing a Virtuoso Suit). The GM Hiding tops him out at 700. That's my main shard Bard...

But my Fel ruleset Bard is at about 97 real now, so I can stop him at 100 for the 4 Bard skills (since he won't have a Virtuoso suit any time soon probably)... That would free up an extra 80 points on his template for another skill, added to the 20 he has left now is a cool 100 points to put into something)... :cool:

Well.. I just finished up my 4x120 Bard (Mage + Med, no Magic Resist) like 2 months ago & I'm using 2 lowland bouras. I play it a ton. I'd make sure you have DCI and a Mage weapon (account for the penalty so equip +15-20 Magery on your jewelry obviously). If you have no combat defense of anykind a Archer / Thrower will wreck you before you know what happened.

Oh.. YEA.. you can definitely AREA peace people in Fel Ruleset. It's not even a aggressive action. Hmm... Actually if you already have 100 Hiding on the character you could consider adding 50 Ninjitsu in somehow so that you have the option to use Smoke Bombs.. If you see him just instant hide and that survival of initial contact is HUGE. Lets you mount up or get all the spawn on him etc.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent! I'm definitely going to check into the Ninja/Smoke Bomb suggestion.....Do humans freeze-in-place like monsters when hit with Area Peace?

What do you think about the 4 bard skills plus magery, hiding and stealth? Even if he can't hide, he could cast invisibility and immediately hide 100% then stealth away... ?

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent! I'm definitely going to check into the Ninja/Smoke Bomb suggestion.....Do humans freeze-in-place like monsters when hit with Area Peace?

What do you think about the 4 bard skills plus magery, hiding and stealth? Even if he can't hide, he could cast invisibility and immediately hide 100% then stealth away... ?

Well... I guess it depends on your suit but my 4x120 Bard is....

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Music
120 Provo
120 Peace
120 Disco
20 Focus

The level of your Magery is going to determine your Base Combat skill via a Mage Weapon and lets not forget that HOW much you heal is also determined from your Magery sklll so I'd suggest 120. You could perhaps do some mixxing it up and have room for Hiding / Stealth but then you sacrifice all around utility. With the above Temp I'd just run a T-Box for para and plan on bailing out vs a competent PvP Mage since he will exploit your lack of resist. If you happen to come up against a Dexxer trying to kill you as long as he's not HUGELY faster than you it should be possible to get invis off and with E-fields / ability to control spawn / Teleport you should be able to stay alive in a dungeon setting.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I recommend, while in Fel ruleset, Keep the Peace Masteries UP! You should be able to maintain both indefinitely while spawning.

Mastery abilities do Not get removed immediately on interruption. So if you get attacked by an Exp/FS combot or an AI , preservance will provide damage reduction on the initial damage and any damage received before the buff times out. Interruption stops the buff refresh, it does not remove the buff.
Buff duration without refresh is typically 1-4 seconds.
Preservance will also give you 30 DCI

Just remember to turn them off if you try to hide.

The other thing is that while you are semi defenseless, Bard Masteries are not subject to the magery FC Cap of 2, so if you are hit by something like Lethal poison, you could cast Resilience which is faster than arch cure. This will give you 22 additional HP regen, (stamina regen as well for push through) and a chance to passivley cure/resist the poison.

If you are using the Provo Masteries,
Invigorate's HP buff for you will be about 23, which would provide a nice damage buffer. (It also is subject to that Buff duration refresh, so its not removed immediately on damage). Invigorate also passively heals for 16-20+ every 4 seconds.

If you are using the Disco Masteries.
Tribulation is fast to cast, and will reduce Hit Chance and SDI by up to 32. So you can hit an attacker with that while you are running away so you don't get hit as much.

Despair will also interrupt mages by hitting every 2 seconds, it also does NOT require line of sight. So as long as you remain in range of the target, the effect remains until they resist or the duration is over.
(So even if they hide, go invis, or run into a house, as long as you are in range you'll hit them)

Other than the masteries, Area Peace is your Friend. As is Provo, if the span levels are high enough.

Last edited: