• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Luck When Treasure Hunting

tombomb84

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hello All! I have a question about your luck when treasure hunting. I want to know when does your luck score take effect while treasure hunting? Is it on 1st dig or is it once the chest pops up and monsters spawn? If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Deschet

Journeyman
I've been operating under the assumption that it's when the chest come out of the ground. Been wearing a pieced together luck suit while digging, invis when chest comes up, swap suits, clear spawn, open chest still wearing spawn suit.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't remember where it was that Kyronix posted it but luck takes effect on initial dig. As soon as you start digging, the luck in applied to the chest. I would put on my luck suit, start the dig and then stop, and change into my MR/SD suit for the actual dig-up and spawn.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes, I wouldn't necessarily say a lot better but items had more mods on them. I will say that I have not tested after the revamp. He said this back 2016-2017 timeframe.

Deschet

Journeyman
I don't remember where it was that Kyronix posted it but luck takes effect on initial dig. As soon as you start digging, the luck in applied to the chest. I would put on my luck suit, start the dig and then stop, and change into my MR/SD suit for the actual dig-up and spawn.
What if you pre-dig in order mark runes for the locations and come back later? Sounds like you think you'd want the luck suit on at that point?

Billy Butcher

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Before the revamp I ran a series of 50 without luck and 50 with. The luck bump doesn't happen every chest but at the time there was a notable difference in loot quality. I got a greater percentage of artifact quality goods with more properties. Now one would only notice this on the higher level chest which would be cache and above now as far at the top out of natural chest intensity goes.
Some say luck makes no difference when fighting certain bosses but they forget a lot of us are wearing luck suits when it dies. Therefore piggy backing the loot bump received in their instanced loot.
Luck is taken into account upon the first dig and you can switch suits after.

Billy Butcher

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
What if you pre-dig in order mark runes for the locations and come back later? Sounds like you think you'd want the luck suit on at that point?
If you are digging and leaving before the chest surfaces the chest will become void. You will generate a new chest upon a fresh dig.
Also you can abandon a dig if you see a rusty chest popping up if you are fast enough. Then try again right away and get another chest... shhhh.

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
If you are digging and leaving before the chest surfaces the chest will become void. You will generate a new chest upon a fresh dig.
Also you can abandon a dig if you see a rusty chest popping up if you are fast enough. Then try again right away and get another chest... shhhh.
Good info!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Maybe, I was just going off of what Kyronix said back then. He said that if you pre-dig, your luck was factored in at that point. He said it did not reset if you stopped digging. That seemed to hold true for me. I start digging, once I see that I will be able to dig the chest, I stop and mark a rune there and then a rune off screen to be able to recall to. I then go back and dig it up. When i would forget to put my luck suit on when first digging, the loot would have less mods on it.

Billy Butcher

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Maybe, I was just going off of what Kyronix said back then. He said that if you pre-dig, your luck was factored in at that point. He said it did not reset if you stopped digging. That seemed to hold true for me. I start digging, once I see that I will be able to dig the chest, I stop and mark a rune there and then a rune off screen to be able to recall to. I then go back and dig it up. When i would forget to put my luck suit on when first digging, the loot would have less mods on it.
Well that may hold true but the chest is a different one for sure. Just take a few steps away to abandon the next rusty chest and you will see. I pre dig when I have a lot of chest to dig. But I wear my luck suit on the both digs and change suit mid second dig with EC macro then pre cast invis. So maybe luck is locked in like you say.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This is what Kyronix posted about digging up chests and when what is applied.

KyronixKyronix Posts: 836Dev
September 2019
The luck is pulled from the player who digs up the chest at the time the chest is created, which is when they begin the digging process successfully. The same applies to cartography. The quality of the chest is based on the quality as a function of the digger's Cartography skill the first time the chest is successfully dug up. If you decide to force the chest to be redug (i.e. move) the quality will never be better than the first pull, but can be worse if your cartography skill is lower than the first successful attempt.