• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Luck is it working?

• Thread starter Barney Rubble
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Barney Rubble

Hey after some testing in doom and peerless's im thinking something is up with luck, My char has 3130 luck with his suit a hit off the luck statue and achiveing perfection. And im seeing ring's and braclet's with 0 mod's on them and weapons and such seam to have very low property intensity.

This is taken from uo.com's playguide.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Luck?

All players have a rating called "luck" that can be modified by items that have "luck" as a property. Luck affects the loot you can find on monsters (that you kill) in three different ways:

-Luck can affect the number of magic items the monster drops. The higher your luck, the more likely the monster will drop an additional magic item. However, it will not increase the number of magic items beyond what the creature's template allows. For example, if a Ratman Mage's template says it can drop between 1-2 magic items, having a high amount of luck may allow 2 magic items to appear in the Ratman’s loot, but high luck will not make it drop 3.

-It can affect the number of properties on each magic item. The higher your luck, the more properties each object can have (up to the maximum number of properties each item allows).

-It can affect the intensities of the properties on each magic item. The higher your luck, the higher each property might be raised in intensity. However, it will not increase a property beyond the maximum intensity that the template allows.

The higher your luck, the more bonuses you can get. An extremely lucky person might find all 3 bonus groups applied to the loot drop from a monster he or she kills.

Calculating Luck
Luck translates directly into a % chance to get a bump in number of items, number of item properties and property intensity. The % is calculated very simply: it's luck ( 1/1.8 ), which ends up being slightly better than the square root. At 1200 you have roughly a 51% chance of getting the bump.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok now that being said what's the real math and whats the chance of getting a bump if you have 3130 luck.
Thanks to anyone that can explane that math to me.

W

Walker

Here is the link to the UO Playerguide where Barney got his information.

http://guide.uo.com/itemproperties_4.html

It was last updated on 12/20/2007. It has been my experience that "Luck" is not working as described in the playguide. I have 1400 plus on my luck suit and have killed a ton of high-end monsters and very seldom get a luck bump. According to the chart, I should have at least a 51.36% chance of getting a bump. It just ain't happening for me.

According to the playguide:

"The % is calculated very simply: it's luck ( 1/1.8 ), which ends up being slightly better than the square root. At 1200 you have roughly a 51% chance of getting the bump."

I would appreciate someone putting some numbers to the above forumla so I can see how simple the math is.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's working it just needs a bump. As it is I've seen armor with some nice max intensity mods but poor resists. I've yet to loot a piece of armor that is usable and as for enhancing well all that does is destroy everything I bring home for my crafter. I have gotten plenty of weapons and jewelry that were pretty obvious got an intensity bump or a number of mods bump that were worth keeping or selling.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never noticed a difference in loot intensity or mods while wearing luck.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I run with 1000 luck and use honor and bushido so am well over 2000 luck and i see no change in items maybe one in 100 will have higher mods and i seem to get this with out the luck 2 so i think not working well atleast for me

F

Fayled Dhreams

Your "luck" only goes to determine if you get the "bump" roll

Your luck .... must present at the time of death of the monster dieing by thy stroke

to The Evil Lord RNG
Once each time for (seperately)
1. The number of magic items found on a monster.
2. The number of properties on a magic item.
3. The intensity of the properties on a magic item.

Monster expires ...
RNG looks at your "luck" maybe a roll "to give "a" bump" .... maybe not
IF yes.... THEN how many more items to add

seperately, but at the same calculation (whether or not you got the "add item bump/how many")
IF yes ... THEN The number of properties is looked at ...."how many to add" (to each item NOT all ...)

seperately, but at the same calculation (whether or not you got the "add item bump/how many" and/or "number of properties to some items')
IF yes ... THEN The range of properties intensity is looked at ...."how much to add" (to each item's properties NOT all ...)

EVEN at 100% every time ... you get the roll ...

the Evil Lord RNG
determines the VALUE applied to "the bump"

As Trashman would say: "Bumpity bump, bumpity bump ... My Life for You!"

Luck is working as designed :eek:

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck is definately not working and also the loot table for the monsters must be bugged as hell.

On my warrior I get good items from time to time when I hunt Blood Eles in Shame. The problem is that I do not get the items from the Blood Ele, but from the Earth Ele. With 300 luck I got a few nice 3/1 jewels from Earth Eles.

Now when I go with my bard mage to hunt blood eles (~1800 luck) I get absolutely nothing. No matter how long I hunt blood eles I get nothing better than a 1/1 jewel or anything which would be a little bit useful. The blood eles even do drop less items than earth eles pretty often. Today I had around 10 blood eles dropping only 1 magic item at ~1800 luck.
I know that they changed the loot table for some monsters, but I think they made it wrong. Not the crappy items stopped spawning, but the good items, so maybe they just made it the wrong way, lol.
So, during my hunt over the last 4 days (3 hours a day with ~1800 luck) I have gotten only 1 item I kept and that was a clever (therathan slayer, 36 di, that was it for the mods, lol) because I collect clevers with slayer properties.

G

Garaba

Well rings and bracelets with no mods are simple junk items some monsters carry. Like some carry food, torches and other items. They were never meant to spawn with mods.

Now for the weapons, luck is not the end all for getting good magic items.

If the monster spawns 4 items and you pass the luck roll, you may end up with 5 or 6.

If an items spawn 3 properties and you pass your luck roll, you may end up with 4 or 5. However if the item spawns with 5 properties, and you pass your luck roll, you will still have 5 properties. It will not bypass the maximum spawn value.

Same thing happens for intensities. And each item is rolled separately at the time the loot is generated.

And with 3130 luck your chance for a bump is about 55.5%