• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Luck and holiday gifts / mib

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does having a high luck suit on effect your chance at rare gift boxes or message in a bottle

Thank you

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How would you know when to put your luck suit on to claim a rare gift box ? Would you have a suit for every one of your character slots ? How would you log in the 2nd character and put the suit on before the gift was given to you ?

My answer to your question would be no for rare gift boxes, MIBs ? **shrug** I've never had faith in the luck system, ever.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have over 1500 holiday gift tokens and tickets to claim gifts
When you claim them the items come in a gift box and you have a chance of getting a rare color and style.
Message in a bottle you a chance of getting an ancient white sos when opened

My question is if I put on the highest luck items I have (armor jewelry weapons use the luck statue) does that increase the chances of getting the rare gift boxes and ancient sos

I’m not going to change characters just use one character to open them all

Thank you

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh, I forgot about tokens, since you have that many, why don't you test it for the rest of us and tell US if luck had a effect ? Don't take the Popps way out and have someone else do it for ya ;) I wonder if the server knows what the token will offer you once the token spawns and whether that remains the same even if you sell it to someone else ?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm with Garth on this, I don't think luck works the way the Devs think it does. As for the original question, well, it's UO so it's anyone's guess!

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I tried a luck suit years ago opening tokens. Only did about 20-30 but no rares.....I agree with the others, I generally get better loot on my dragoon with 700 luck than my tamer with max luck. No idea about other stuff.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do use the same character to "pop" the tokens, who wears a decent luck suit, but that's only because some of the gifts/rewards will apply character names and I'd hate to get an Xmas wreath picked by character "AltB1" or some off the wall name. I don't think there's any difference because of luck in this situation but Luck suit has given me many drops and legendary loot in the past, so it does work for me.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I actually just went through the MIB portion recently.

I used to open MiBs with a luck suit on (like 5-10 here or there) as I got them on my T-Hunter (from chests etc) and literally went through like 50-75 without a single Ancient. That's when I posted over in the fisher forum about it because others were claiming they were doing several white SOS and I started wondering what I was doing wrong (maybe not enough luck?!?). I asked and to sum it up it's all about how the RNG is coded (Draconi figured out a while back before he left). Basically on average you get an Ancient SOS 1 in 25 if you do them straight but doing short streaks of opening MiBs (like 5-10 at a time) doesn't allow the RNG to kick in (regardless of luck). I decided to take my archer out and farm a bunch of MiB's (both from monsters and purchased) and once I got 30 of them I started opening them (with minimum luck on). Result was on my 14th open I got an Ancient... kept opening and on my 10th after that (24th total) I got another one. So it appears that the RNG really is more about the number you open in a row and has nothing to do with in game luck.

Feel free to check my findings though. I'd definitely be interested to see if others had the same experience.

The thread is here (thanks @Basara):

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thank you all for your feedback

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, I forgot about tokens, since you have that many, why don't you test it for the rest of us and tell US if luck had a effect ? Don't take the Popps way out and have someone else do it for ya ;) I wonder if the server knows what the token will offer you once the token spawns and whether that remains the same even if you sell it to someone else ?
An interesting question. Maybe make copies to TC with the same token in the pack of various characters.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In the last year or two I started opening a bunch of my tokens (and selling duplicates of the items pulled).

In one instance, about 30 tokens in to opening 60 or so 2017 holiday tokens, I hit a streak of 3 rare boxes in about 8-10 tokens - and none before or after then.