• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lost house of 12+ years

omggrok

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all, double purpose thread here. First I just wanted to recheck the rules of house decay. I'm sure everything went properly, however if there's any chance I didn't slip up myself, it'd be some reassurance. I've been playing on and off for around 12 years. Lately, what with working full time+ I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like. I let my account go inactive, and had been resubbing when I had the time to commit. I played throughout return to britannia, however my account was technically still inactive.

I recently resubbed and checked my house, which I thought should still be there. It wasn't. It was a huge blow to how I feel about resubbing in the future, and I'm really hoping it wasn't just due to my own negligence.

Do houses tied to accounts that are being used during RtB refresh? I know I didn't pay for the month, however I was still physically active on the servers. How long exactly must an account be continually inactive for its house to fall? Again, keep in mind I have had a sub since around 7/2000.

Thanks again for any info, and I honestly hope whoever was at my house's falling will continue to display the rare and/or historical items for other players, as I had for years. Thanks!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If it's a RTB house that hasn't been paid since then it fell.....

If you have been paying at least once every 3 months it should still be there.... but if you lapsed over 90 days without payment then NO your house won't be there.

All RtB houses that aren't current on payment have fallen or are in the process I would think it's safe to assume.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I am understanding you right your account was inactive before you did the RTB promotion then most likely yes. You have 90 days but truly to be on the safe side I would of recomend 86 days because of hiccups here and there with the system.

I dont recall if the devs had put a hold on decay for any reason either.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
RTB does not count towards your active billing.
it goes off the last time you gave them money.
so 90 days from the time they receive their last penny from you your house goes into decay.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right there with you. Just this morning, I realized that during all the craziness of the closure of City of Heroes and #SaveCOH, I had done the unthinkable: I'd forgotten to resubscribe to Ultima Online and refresh my house at the end of its three-month dormancy allowance.

So I resubscribed, patched up and nervously logged in, holding my breath, hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

And...

Everything was gone. My house on Great Lakes, up the road a ways north of the Majestic Oaks Auction house, and just south outside of Minoc, where my brave isometric Britannians had lived for years...my neatly organized house, with chests and crates full of gear and rare collected items, including several rares from pre-21st Century holidays that I'd either held on to for many years, or paid unthinkable amounts of gold for; books and journals that I'd written or collected, sentimental items, veteran rewards, art and other house decor. All...gone.

Just gone. Disappeared forever, after decaying on the ground, or claimed by collapsing house collectors.

A few of my oldest rares were among the last in the entire game on any shard, and may have been the last on Great Lakes. It was gut-wrenching, a truly hollow experience to log in to Ultima Online this morning.

And, crazily, this is not the first time that I have lost some property to an IDOC, and it was not even a very big house--just a little workshop with an upstairs room and open porch; But because of the value of many of the rare and powerful items (and sentimental items) that were in my house, it is my worst financial loss to date. Worse even than the time I lost a large castle-keep to an IDOC, filled with furniture, decor, books, and gear that was all fairly replaceable.

Granted, it isn't a total loss. Some of my oldest and most valuable rares, from 1997-1998, are actually coded differently in a way that isn't compatible with modern era housing, meaning I can't lock them down to display them (they will decay even if locked down). All of those are in the bank, along with plenty of gear, and gold, and other things that for whatever reason I wasn't keeping in my house when it fell.

And I still have my characters and everything in their inventories, including Hannes-Erich, the first character that I ever created, in November, 1997, who I embarked with on my first MMORPG journeys.

As I stood there, in the empty area where my house once stood, surrounded by grass and forest, now full of many empty areas these days, and not a house in sight, I wondered if I should just call it quits, or at least scale back, like many die-hard Ultima fans, and start living lightly out of my characters bank accounts.

But the thing is, COLLECTING is one of the things that I have grown to enjoy the most over the years, as well as decorating; everything from large villas and keeps, to quaint little cottages. I don't want to quit UO for good, but after fifteen years, I'm tired of these occasional and irreplaceable losses, punishments incurred for taking breaks, leaves of absence, and playing other games. One of the most enjoyable parts of MMORPGs is making progress in various ways for your characters, whether through levels, skills, deeds, whatever. For a rares collector, for which some items take weeks, months, or years to acquire, an IDOC like this results in a staggering loss of progress.

I have only myself to blame. I'm not going to point fingers at EA/Mythic. But it makes me wonder if things could be improved. The thing is, though, IDOCs are behind a long-standing tradition of celebrations for collectors, and they've led me and fellow collectors into the possession of many powerful or rare items over the years. If they had programmed overflow crates into the game for IDOCs, for instance, to transfer items to your bank or some other safe space, then many items would simply disappear for good behind accounts that never returned to play. I think that would be even worse for the game as a whole, regardless of my personal loss today.

My biggest hope is that my items were at least grabbed by IDOC campers, preferably experienced ones who knew what they were picking up, guaranteeing that these items found their way into the hands of people who would keep them existing. It would be much worse, in my mind, if I'm responsible for the permanent loss of some really cool rares.

On the other side of the coin, this makes it very hard to come back to UO, even though I still enjoy this old game, and the folks on Great Lakes who, unlike me, never seem to leave.

I don't know that there's a balance to be found for the problem of losing your possessions any time you unsubscribe for more than three months, especially this late in the game's development. But, I gotta tell ya, if there had been an option to insure a few of those crates and items in my house against the IDOC, I would have paid gladly, in gold or hard cash. Gladly. Name your price, EA/Mythic.

Last edited:

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I resubscribed, patched up and nervously logged in, holding my breath, hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

I think all of us (or most) that have taken a break from UO for one reason or another has had this happen. I remember roughly 6 years ago i took a few months off for family stuff. My payment info had changed and forgot to update UO with my new expiration date on my credit card. I realized at about 97 days past the last paid sub. Logged in and I was missing 2 18*18 loaded and a smaller house loaded. Yes it is a pain, and yes like you I lost some really nice rares...One of a kind items that didn't exist ANYWHERE on any shard but in my home.

But, after pondering do I start over or not I decided that even though I had lost everything, I would keep on keeping on. Today I boast a decent collection of things again and am extremely happy I stayed.

Needless to say I've never forgotten to pay my sub again when I've needed to take time off lol.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope you stay with us, Hannes Erich - we need to keep your kind....

Last edited:

Ankanna

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had this happen to me a couple times in the last 12 years of playing. The last place I lost was on a corner of Ter Mur. I had to take a few months off unexpectedly and wasn't able to log in and bank anything before my account went innactive. It's still good to be back no matter what was lost.

Retlaw of Vesper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know that there's a balance to be found for the problem of losing your possessions any time you unsubscribe for more than three months, especially this late in the game's development. But, I gotta tell ya, if there had been an option to insure a few of those crates and items in my house against the IDOC, I would have paid gladly, in gold or hard cash. Gladly. Name your price, EA/Mythic.
I think many long time players have lost items before, either through IDOC or other, myself included. However, on the above comment the feature you ask is already there ... and it cost $10 a month.

I didn't play UO for over two years, but kept my sub paid up to keep everything waiting for me when I did return and never had a problem. Some time after I needed a break again and decided to do the every 90 and missed a payment. When I logged in to see my Keep had fell with all my belongings, all of a sudden I would have gladly skipped two Starbucks coffees a month and had my sub paid up again.

Starting over was a fun challenge, and I hope both of you stay in the game despite the current situation.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but how will the game survive if no one pays and they just let you play with a house.... just pay the monthly fee and your stuff will be there,must not be that important if you dont wanna pay the 10 bucks a month,and really its just a game so if RL things came up then you just need to get past losing your fake stuff that belongs to UO anyways,not tryin to be mean just think about how many people have been rippin them off with all these free houses(rtb) all those luna plots and castle and keeps could have been payin customers ,its silly people sit on here and complain that no one plays then in next thread they are braggin about how they are rippin off UO and the rest of the players by have 50 houses that are full and they dont have to pay for them,i would be looking into what accounts they have and deleting them! ya if you can use uo stratics for voting **** on the game then you can use it to ban someone

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with flappy to a point.

Other games you have to pay each month to keep your stuff like housing. DaoC has a system where you pay rent. If you dont have enough for the house you have you lose it. You dont pay the sub fee you lose it. Yes you get to keep stuff on your character and bank but besides that you lose anything that is not on your character like housing. Now items in the house go to a vendor type guy where you can retrieve those items. Been a long while so not sure how that system is still set up.

I understand that real life takes players away from their hobbies and likes but UO is way lenient on housing. If one can't afford because of losing theior job and all or you just don't have time the safest thing to do is bank your most important stuff that you treasure. It may mean you have to sacrafice some stuff but if you had tons of rares and could save all of tem by charcters banks and back packs but lose some gold and less meaning ful stuff what would you choose? Gambling on UO housing system is never a good thing especially when you may forget when you need to renew your sub. 90 days is way generous but if EA was smart and extra greedy they just force the players to pay each month or lose your stuff.

I am no way blaming or pointing my finger at any that takes advanatge of the system the way it is set up. The game has the system in place and why not take advanatge of how it was implimented into the game? I would and most would to. If EA likes losing revenue that is their choice but I think sometimes that is what hurts future development of the game because of flucuating revenue coming in. Devs get cut or moved into other games they are developing and the dev team for UO is bare bones compared back in the day. Most games have that issue the older they get so it's just not UO.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think many long time players have lost items before, either through IDOC or other, myself included. However, on the above comment the feature you ask is already there ... and it cost $10 a month.
BAM!!!!
Best reply I have seen in a while. Made me smile.

I have also lost a house, with a lot of nice items (to include 3 soulstones), after being suddenly deployed several years ago, and having my credit card expire while gone and billing getting rejected. Sucks big time. I lived my life for a while w/o UO, but while cleaning out some stuff, I found some old Ultima Online stuff stashed somewhere, and got bit by the bug again.

So, I am back playing, having fun. Oh, and my soulstones are now in my bankbox. :)

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm afraid my houses will be falling soon to. Had an issue with the credit card and now it won't take it again and I can't even buy time codes from the store. The issue is not that I don't want to pay or play. They just won't let me :(

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm afraid my houses will be falling soon to. Had an issue with the credit card and now it won't take it again and I can't even buy time codes from the store. The issue is not that I don't want to pay or play. They just won't let me :(
shard, coordinates? Seriously though call support.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have a debit card or the wherewithal to buy a prepaid debit Visa?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had an issue with a debit card that shut my account down. I emailed them (only way I could find to reach them). Two days later, they responded to my concern, asked me for some account verification, credited my account with the days they screwed up and told me how to edit an existing credit card with an updated expiration date. So give them a yell quick. Perhaps you can save your house. Worked for me.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lady Bleez, PM me or reply here if you can't get this resolved immediately. They do have prepaid VISA cards for sale at grocery stores that you can load up with cash at the store, and then use online just like any credit card. I had to do this on Christmas Eve when my credit card was stolen. It's an easy and quick solution. But if this option isn't available to you, I'll buy a one month game time code and give you the code. This will buy you some time to solve your problem with customer support. You can pay me back later if you want, it's not a big deal--not compared to losing everything to an IDOC. Please don't take advantage of this if you're able to solve your problem with customer support or buy a prepaid card. My goal is to help you out of a bind if you're unable to help yourself.

We don't know each other, but I'm not presently in the mood to see this happen to anyone else. I also have some things to add to my post above, and to say to those who replied, but I'm busy at the moment.

And, unfortunately, this is not an invitation for anyone else. I'd like to be helpful, but I'm not rich. ;)

Last edited:

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the help everyone. The hubby has been trying to get it resolved. No luck yet. Will let you know. Again...thank you. The people are what makes UO special.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The people are what makes UO special.
I couldn' agree more. I just came back after five years of being gone. My house fell as well. I'm upset over it, but has led me to not go to any IDOC's whatsoever. The thought of my friends, or enemies looting my home- no thank you.. Just gotta keep on truckin'.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the help everyone. The hubby has been trying to get it resolved. No luck yet. Will let you know. Again...thank you. The people are what makes UO special.
Bleez, Try going to this site: https://help.ea.com/en/ultima-online Scroll down a bit and you see a box on the right that says "Contact Us". Log in (this is the EXTREMELY tricky part) but once you get logged in you can look for your answer and after you get to the point of "my answer isn't here" you'll see somewhere towards the bottom of the page a spot that says "Call Me"..... Make THEM call YOU. That is the ONLY way I've found that helps me sometimes with CC isssues.

You may also want to contact your CC provider. My CC provider suddenly decided on me to reject all Game related Billing because "Gaming has far too much fraud" ....... You can bet I ripped them a new one and they now allow my game. I told them I've paid for this game for the last 12 years and I am not about to stop .... and if they wanted to try to stop me I'd be finding a new bank...

I hope you get your problem resolved soon.

Hannes Erich..... Welcome home. I would like to say I looted your house but I did not. Can't recall doing so at least. Anyway if you need anything you know where I am. Feel free to holler at me.