• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Lorekeepers

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were some remarks in a thread on UHall about rares traders, which I ran across yesterday, and in the past twelve or so hours two events in my UO life which contradict what was said. (just looked for the thread, can't remember what started the discussion, can't find the posts... the joys of senior moments) Basically, a few posters had reservations about the intentions of the rare's community claiming that the resale value of an item was the main motivation. While for some the growing piles of yellow checks may be the draw, for many of us it is not. We keep the memories and tales of past friends and enemies, long ago artisans, royal battles and royal persons, and even if our goal is gold pieces the sales may help fill a museum of a shard's history.

Thank you, Lineman, and thank you, Lord Nabin

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were some remarks in a thread on UHall about rares traders, which I ran across yesterday, and in the past twelve or so hours two events in my UO life which contradict what was said. (just looked for the thread, can't remember what started the discussion, can't find the posts... the joys of senior moments) Basically, a few posters had reservations about the intentions of the rare's community claiming that the resale value of an item was the main motivation. While for some the growing piles of yellow checks may be the draw, for many of us it is not. We keep the memories and tales of past friends and enemies, long ago artisans, royal battles and royal persons, and even if our goal is gold pieces the sales may help fill a museum of a shard's history.

I've made some rather harsh comments about the community....and I have to revert back....

Some members of the community I, personally, consider as profiting elitist that mask themselves behind a good notoriety and reputation. I've heard some stories (and I have evidential proof from first hand sources) about some "well known and reputable" dealers of the community that are in fact extremely shady. That is why I feel that it is unjust.

However, there are many members here that are not like that. They are truly after some nice items, building a collection, or making a profit. However, they are not hiding behind a wall of deception that other people seems to believe.

I don't lie about being a thief. I'm a thief, i'm good at it, and i've done things that alot of people loathe. However, I rather have that reputation, than being a hypocrite, and hiding behind a white mask of good when the face behind the mask is evil.

Also, if you are going to judge someone or something, at least have some facts to back it up .... it is a bad as people still pinning the fact that I was behind some rare festival hiest when I really was not. If someone actually cares to find out the true story...and maybe ask me what really happened....PM me.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You are welcome, I enjoy it when I know a item is going to someone who appreciates the origin and the history of the item more than what the item can do or what it looks like.

W

weezer

I think it is easier to have lorekeepers on smaller shards. Events and people on those shards don't get lost in masses and you get to know the people personally. I basically only collect legends items as they are the only things that mean anything to me. I do have other items in my house.. however I either like the items or I will eventually use them to trade for an item i want from a legends event (i have a few ls items from when i played ls with some friends).

Lore means quite a bit to me. Keeping history on a shard (i also have a wierd rubble addiction and collect stuck in a box items) is what keeps me going. A lot my favorite pieces are from friends that left the game. I have several items that were given out at events that never made the rares list. An EM crafted helm from Jura Valleyforge for winning a pvp tournament. The right side of bright red stone table the EM frogot to lock down at christmas last year. And my favorite piece.... a lantern commemorating those who have passed (can't remember the exact text) from a fishing event after a good friend i played with for years passed away.

Memories first, lore second and fun items are the third thing on my list (love the flame shooting balron statuette).

I rarely sell things, and if I sell anything it is raise gold for some legends em item i don't have.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my motivaion to collect rares. I don't sell what I own, I just try to collect all that I can. It all started back in 99 when I saw my first set of necro regs for sale. That is when I contracted the bug. Back then I did not have the ability to purchase rares, as I did not have a good income of gold, and ebay items usually were not what we would consider rare (back when 1mill was $50). After my house fell about 3 years ago I lost all that I owned, and thus had to start over. Nowadays my collection is small, too small to be considered a museum IMO compared to others.
I keep home shard specific items to preserve them if you will. Many see this as a foolhardy act, but they understand little of what it is like to obtain and own an item that is 13 years old. Sure I'm twice that in age, but that feels like an antique when considering how long MMO's last. Rare Collecting is a hobby to pick up like any other action in the game. I have reached endgame in many sense of the word, and rare collecting is the only thing left in UO that still feels fresh, still gived that adrenaline rush, much like walking out of Britain for the first time. Rare Collecting is nostalgia. Enough so that I travelled to 3 diff. Shards to gather a complete set of necro regs. There was a girl who claimed Rare Collectors were no better than cockroaches, while 1 collector isn't an equal to any other player in the game. As if we don't take the game seriously, and are the reason why the game is in the state that it is in.
IMO if it were not for us, these items, and the history of UO would be nothing but a memory, or just lost nostalgia.

I would write more but doing this on my blackberry sucks. Good day.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

:thumbup1:

B

Beleth of Atlantic

For me collecting is about the theme. I have roleplayed my main character as a Daemon Lord on Atlantic since... late '99 early 2000? When I began I was young and had no real income. Now that I am doing okay in real life I am spending some hard earned cash on a hobby I've enjoyed since I was a kid.

If the game is abandoned and the shards go down... meh. I'll miss UO of course but not being able to profit off of what I own isn't the goal. The goal for me is to keep the game fresh and entertaining.