• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Lookn for adivce on a PvP career

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail and well met! I am "Igg A Pie" origionally for the shard of Great Lakes and currently playing on Siege Perilous. I am lookn for some quality advice/help/direction or selecting a mage template for my pvp career. a few things: 1) I am a pathetically average pvper at best, 2)I have always been more of a support mage(choke point, rez,, xhealing, poison mounts/bones, para spam so other guildies jobs are easier), 3) I like to think I am not a knucklehead. I have a pretty good knowledge of how and why things work the way they do and I am willing to learn what I don't know. 4) I do not use razor, ezuo, any other 3rd party programs, packet loss pushers or game cheats in any way shape or form. id rather loose than try and "keep up with the jones'" in this department.

I am a 15 year vet of UO . I spent all of my mage pvp in the shadow and would like to learn how to go out and pvp more effectively on my own. my delima....I have always loved to play a necro/mage. after speaking with many people, I am told myst/mages something I may want to look into. I have a soft spot in my heart for necro but I am not unwilling to switch to myst if it would be more effective. tbh I would really like to stick with necro. however, I feel as if I am a blank canvas. i would just like to be dedicated in one direction or another. I am a perfection freak so I just want to be the most effective I can be when I am on the field. it doesn't really matter which template the other guy dies from I just want to be good at killn him.

A few months ago I read this really great article of how necro spells work. more importantly why they work the way they do and how when coupled with certain mage spells they become very deadly. this particular article also had some basic mage principals which really helped as well. the best example is why its so important to get curse on your opponent. this has elevated my necro/mage pvp to a whole different level(not that I was real high to begin with rofl). I fell much more confident when I am playn him. I am currently working on timing and the placement of my macros on the keyboard. cuz I still die when if got to look at the keyboard when I cant remember what button I have to press lol. none the less, I feel much more comfortable than I did a few months ago.

in a nut shell I am look for: 1) some pros and cons as far as necro vs myst goes, 2) I am lookn for some detailed insight on spell combos for necro and/or myst. 3) the word "ticks" was used when I was taln to someone about spell plague and spell trigger. I assume this is similar to the "tick" with the "necro spell strangle". 4) advise on mage wep skill weapon and inscribe or poisoning skill vs wrestling skill and a spellbook. I play on GL as well as SP(no item insurance here) as a side note, 5) armor advice. as far as the suit goes, whats best to have on your suit, damage eater and casting focus? max fire and kenetic eater? or some other combination. and 6) macro location for spells on your keyboard for the most effective use in combonations. I know I know! I said I was a perfection freak lol.

Any advise would help. I am not askn you to post to every topic but whatever you fell you have time for. hopefully anything posted here will help new and eager to learn players, players who are having a similar delimma to my own and serve as a renforcement tool for vet and established players. you can post here, ICQ me (43711018), and this may sound like a stretch but I use vent as well. id love to get some real face time with people that would be willing to show me the way! its a lot easier to just explain it over a mic rather than type it all out. I am looking forward to hearing what people have to say and even more excited in putting into use what I learn!

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok I will. I got a warning cuz I copy/pasted it across all server foruems...lol. I didnt realize you were not allowed to do that. I will get it done though. thx hat and kongo

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Necro mage is still more dominant just due to speed the spells plus blood oath. A good necro mage will kill any mystic mage easily. Comboing omen/nox is deadly and wither spam on raids is irreplacable. Great against both dexxies and mages, SS to heal through mortals if your stuck between apple timers.

BetterThenYou

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Lets get some basic points down first and as previously pointed out Necro mages are by far the most dominant mage WHEN FIGHTING ANOTHER MAGE CLASS.
I put extreme emphasis on the end because it is not the end all be all solution to a mage, however if you put a necro mage in with any other mage in a closed situation the necro SHOULD dominate everytime.

But lets be honest here, most people do not sit and fight necros the way they wish to fight. Apples and a combination of mystic healing or cross healing can really screw up your plans.
And by far necro with poison is extremely dominating with evil omen/poison casts or even worse evil omen/pain spike.
With all this said, very few players sit in that top tier to have the patience to manipulate kills with this template with regularity. Lets face it, someone isn't going to stay on your screen while you kill shot them,
also you wont be faster than them by your own account, even if you can beat them down, odds are they will just offscreen you over and over until they get a lucky chance to take you out.
Versatile in a dungeon or grinder they have their place, but any guild that's stacks many many necros in todays world is mistaken where mystics would be a better fit.

Pure mages like necros can be extremely damage dealing (usually yew gate) a scribe pure mage can flamestrike alone somewhere around 45 damage, however there is the problem again with finishing your opponent.
A pure mage really seems to shine the most if you play one with another pure mage as a double pure mage explode/flamestrike stack will most undoubtedly kill anyone if casted at the same time.
Problem being again, the same as a necro when it comes to healing, you have to provide pots or you will die, regardless if you have enhance pots or not ( you should).
Also finishing a player like saying before has a real fall off if they get low.
Grinder fighting is extremely limited, be prepared to be either casting fields or heals or ressing or dispels. Your spells for group combat are limited solely to earthquake which doesn't work at a distance.

Mystics can be more difficult to get that damage of a person down as their spells tend to do less damage and are weaker in general. However they make up for that issue in their versatility.
I find this to be the only "real option" to a pvpr who hasn't degraded down the path of the 3rd party programs
You have a genuine chance to finish your targets via spell trigger bombard, so you only end up having to learn the process of getting your opponent into that range.
Extremely versatile due to multiple utlilitys like spell trigger and heal stone you can literally run without pots when your learned.
Also grinder fighting this is the character to be, you can literally not have enough of this template ever. If you are joining a Fel guild and said mystic/mage expect a warm welcome. Mostly due to the group dynamic of community healing through the party system or just having 1 more guy who can colluses is never a bad thing.

I would also like to point out you will need UO assist for every single template and should NEVER try to pvp without it.

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thank you for your time great DC and better than you. both posts were very informative and will help me out a lot. once again thank you!