• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for some unicorn build ideas

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So now that I have the mystery of animal lore solved and I’m moving forward with taming gains, I’m turning my thoughts towards training a unicorn for my female tamer.

I really don’t recall seeing much said about them, so I thought I’d ask if anyone trained one up and what they picked. I’m not sure if sticking with magery is right but I might do that. Along with armor ignore. And no more. Kind of leaning towards the keep it simple thought . Is this ok? Or am I totally wrong here?
One last thing, I realize the use of scrolls is always good, I’m finding it very hard to find the scrolls for even close to what I’m willing to pay. So I’m probably going with a scroll-less build.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have 2 Uni's that will be bonding soon that I plan to train. One I plan to go AI/Chiv, and the other I think I may try AI/mysticism. I too want to see what a fully leveled up Unicorn can do. Will be great if anyone has screen shots of a slot 5 uni trained right.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am very pleased with my Unicorn. Great damage and the poison immunity works wonders for it staying alive without a lot of stress on my part. Always hated when you que up a greater heal to only have your pet get poisoned!

Attachments

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have about five or six different unicorns I use. Their poison immunity and the fact they can have magics makes them a powerful pet. Among the builds I have: Magery/fww/goo (this was the build I used last Halloween in spec dungeon and it always was last man standing, even among cu) chiv/ai, Magery/ai. I have a void pool specd unicorn. That's a fun one.

(No pictures as not at home)

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Khaelor, whenever you get a chance, no rush here, I’d like to see pics of some of your unicorns.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
My Uni is 4 slot now. I think I'm just going to keep AI and magery on it only. Even with 500 mana and max mana regen it burns through mana, no sense in adding anything more. I guess Uni's can't get magery mastery, because its not listed.

*EDIT*
At the time I wrote the above post I didn't have the ToL expansion.
If you have the expansion unicorns CAN get magery mastery.

Last edited:

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Personally, I’m not sad over not having magery mastery as an option.
However, the idea of not putting too much in the way of abilities is something I like. I might give chiv and AI a try. Mainly since I have 5 unicorns to try out. Saving the better ones for final builds, so I have 3 to use as test beds.
Still need to get taming and lore to at least 110 before I start training.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I thought about trying chiv, but since unicorn starts with magery it seems like a waste of 500 points. On a CU I would do it in a heartbeat.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
That is true. But at the same time, I find both chivalry and mysticism to be fun magic’s to have on pets.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dropped Magery and put in Piercing and searing wounds.
Since the Unicorn is a 'magical' pet it has great natural MR.
Not fully trained yet but so far it still looks like i'll cap out if i dont use 120 scrolls

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I fully trained my first one, AI/magery. She does pretty well. Haven't added any scrolls yet and I'm not sure if I ever will. Another one should be bonding today.

I want to make at least 2 more, one with chiv, and one with mysticism just to try out other lines of magic. Uni's are so easy to find/tame, makes a good pet to try different skills on. Being poison resist helps a lot in leveling them up too. I'm training my nightmare now and having to cure poison is such a pain. Seems like every mob wants to poison my pet as much as possible.