• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for Parry Mage advice:

A

Azural Kane

Looking for advice on Parry Mages and how well they work for defense vs. Wrestling. Never used either in any recent times.

I hear you need high dex for Parry to be overly effective? How high?

How well does it work for passive defense compared to Wrestling? How well does Wrestling handle defense on its own?

Thanks for any advice.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need 85 dex for parry to be effiecent.... I dont know between parry/wrestle... you usally for the most part have both parry & wrestle and you use a shield most effective way your gona get out of a parry mage... its how we do it on other shards besides siege anyways...

A

AntiOTF

Staff of pyro > wrestling.. but parry mages use to be insane on siege, then for some reason they became less popular. *shrugs*

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never had parry with a two handed weapon i found it less effective...

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

You need 85 dex for parry to be effiecent.... I dont know between parry/wrestle... you usally for the most part have both parry &amp; wrestle and you use a shield most effective way your gona get out of a parry mage... its how we do it on other shards besides siege anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Its actually a template I love and used to be known for before I gave it up to start doing the soul stone race with a bunch of other skills

1/3 with DCI (close to 15 is ideal)
scnp shield with DCI +10-15
throw away sammy helm, aegis of grace or fey leggings for the remainder

120wrestling + 120parry + 40-45%DCI = pure love... even at 30dex.

1-2 shots out of 10 landed against me... it was the template I ran when we used to have 1-2 hit kill bushido archers and let me tell you, I never died unless it was 3-5 people on average

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

1-2 shots out of 10 landed against me... it was the template I ran when we used to have 1-2 hit kill bushido archers and let me tell you, I never died unless it was 3-5 people on average

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but with 35 dex back then is differnt then now they changed it alot since then... it still effective but at 85 you'll be ideal... and you'll want 85 + Chugging agility case of getting clumsied or cursed will bring it back down. It's a great template vs a dexxer thats a pain in the nuts or dismounters...

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

you'll want 85 + Chugging agility case of getting clumsied or cursed will bring it back down.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how many dexxers can you count on Siege that are casting clumsy or curse on anyone?

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but with 35 dex back then is differnt then now they changed it alot since then... it still effective but at 85 you'll be ideal... and you'll want 85 + Chugging agility case of getting clumsied or cursed will bring it back down. It's a great template vs a dexxer thats a pain in the nuts or dismounters...

[/ QUOTE ]

why would 85 be ideal?

You wouldn't want to take any from str or int to put it into dex and 30dex is just as effective as 85 for what the template is being used for.

120int 30dex + 120wrestling + 120parry + 40+%DCI (siege blessing a 1/3 with DCI)

ideal on Siege is just as I described.

now on prodo... ideal would be 80dex.. but we're on siege... aren't we?

T

Tark_Smash

80 dex gives you 35% chance (max) to block a hit.
70 32%
60 29%
50 26%
40 23%
30 20%

Oh, you cannot drink pots with a book and a shield either, FYI.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

80 dex gives you 35% chance (max) to block a hit.
70 32%
60 29%
50 26%
40 23%
30 20%

Oh, you cannot drink pots with a book and a shield either, FYI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe most people know how to disarm a shield for a quick second to chug a pot and re arm the shield vice versa on the spell book.

N

Nerf-Herder

Advice... Don't bother. Seriously.

With so many Dexxie Dixx runnin mass HLD, 120 wrestle is for [censored] these days.

Again... Seriously... Think about it...

A Dexxie Dig only needs HCI on jewels. A well equipped Dexxie Digger will go for some DEX on them there jewels to go 'long wit dat HCI!

Soome Dexxie Dixx runs nekid with only that Shido LS 50% HCI at no more than five mana per turn (talk about a cheap round a ***** house, hooo buddy)

Fact is, almost anyone PvPing with a weapon is running a weapon with high HLD. When that mod goes off, it is open season on YOU. Are you really willing to spend 80 stat points AND 120 template points for only a MAXIMUM 35% chance to block a swing that is due to hit you again in 1.25 seconds?

My advice: Take Spellweaving, cast pixies, and "all kill" the damn Dexxie Dixx.

...and feel free to post screen shots.

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thats acutally not true... be smart about it... if you know what ur doing on the field and know how stay alive all you do is this..

Samauri Helm, Hotls, Fey Legings, 10-15 DCI on Shield, Quiver, + jewlery....

Your already at 65-70 Dci before the jewlery.... Get jewery your at say 80-85.... Yes DCI Does Stack. Yes DCI Is Max At 45... But...

The most on weps people are gona have is 40 HLD maybe 50 if its an uber wep...

Once someone hit you with there hit lower defense weapon it knocks ur DCI down by that %, but if you have 80 DCI, they have 40 HLD, your still at 40 DCI when that hit lower defense wack gets off on you... Yours till good to role. Yes this is how it works and it is very effective.. Good luck.

A

Azural Kane

Hrmm, well, what of Wrestling with no Parry? What say all ye of this?

And SoulWeaver, does what you describe include Wrestle or no?

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

thats acutally not true... be smart about it... if you know what ur doing on the field and know how stay alive all you do is this..

Your already at 65-70 Dci before the jewlery.... Get jewery your at say 80-85.... Yes DCI Does Stack. Yes DCI Is Max At 45... But...

Once someone hit you with there hit lower defense weapon it knocks ur DCI down by that %, but if you have 80 DCI, they have 40 HLD, your still at 40 DCI when that hit lower defense wack gets off on you... Yours till good to role. Yes this is how it works and it is very effective.. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

When HLD is triggered, it lowers your modified defense rating by 25%. If a weapon has 40% HLD, it does not lower your defense by 40%. It has a 40% chance to trigger the effect.

Having the parry skill will give you a chance to deflect any blows that pass that initial weapon defense check. IMO, for a mage, it is not worth 80 stat points and 120 template points for a 35% max chance to do so (assuming the use of a shield).

Maybe if you are a solo player, but if you roll with a group (even a small one) you are going to be better off investing in something more offensive.

I

imported_mo'gluk

bushido mojoka lat ugli oomie on tasty bird

meeb likee da bird almost az much az fuud.....

SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

When HLD is triggered, it lowers your modified defense rating by 25%. If a weapon has 40% HLD, it does not lower your defense by 40%. It has a 40% chance to trigger the effect.

Having the parry skill will give you a chance to deflect any blows that pass that initial weapon defense check. IMO, for a mage, it is not worth 80 stat points and 120 template points for a 35% max chance to do so (assuming the use of a shield).

Maybe if you are a solo player, but if you roll with a group (even a small one) you are going to be better off investing in something more offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well On chesapeake people use parry tempaltes with 80-90 DCI, and do not get hit unless the other person has 70-80 HLD on there weapons/hld glasses to lower there dci after so many hits..... but even then its difficult specially if you have the 85 dex as well.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldnt remember which was "checked" first in combat... weapon skill or parry... If you're right... tks.

also, it's just 120points into parry and trust me... it works great. You only need the added offense if really... yours sucks.

A

AntiOTF

Ok to clear up all this mess, it really doesn't matter what skill you get or don't get, cause my dexxer is an absolute beast! If you spot him, then that means your ass. You won't have time to gum a grape, let alone cast all these clumsy spells and whatnot. You have a 2 second window from the time you spot him before you're dead. You had better make wise choices during those 2 seconds if you're to have any chance at remaining alive.

Just ask yourself this.... what can I do before he swings his weapon twice (2.5 seconds)? Cause after 2 swings, you're in a gray robe waiting for backup to arrive.

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

Ok to clear up all this mess, it really doesn't matter what skill you get or don't get, cause my dexxer is an absolute beast! If you spot him, then that means your ass. You won't have time to gum a grape, let alone cast all these clumsy spells and whatnot. You have a 2 second window from the time you spot him before you're dead. You had better make wise choices during those 2 seconds if you're to have any chance at remaining alive.

Just ask yourself this.... what can I do before he swings his weapon twice (2.5 seconds)? Cause after 2 swings, you're in a gray robe waiting for backup to arrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we know, you feel all warm inside when you kill AFK people.
Stick to the point of the thread.

A

AntiOTF

But that was the point. You're wanting parry mage advice, and my advice is not to waste your time doing ROT, cause no matter what skills you get, you're still gonna die. So just enjoy the game, and not waste time and frustration on ROT.

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

I'm not sure if we've ever fought in the past, but it sounds like ur swingin a pretty nice wep. Even with that said, my money would be on me stayin alive longer than two and a half seconds. Perhaps we should get together some time and find out eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should go faction, and we'll be having more picnics than you could ever imagine.

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

Nope, im TB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I hold you personally responsible for what happen to me at the underpath next to your base last night. You shall pay!

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like we'll have a jolly ol' time. See ya out there (not sure who you are, but i always enjoy a good battle)

A

Azural Kane

All I'm concerned about is the effectiveness of Wrestling and Parry on their own as individual skills, but thanks for your troll.

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

All I'm concerned about is the effectiveness of Wrestling and Parry on their own as individual skills, but thanks for your troll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as far as I know, staff of pyro will give you same results as the wrestling skill without actually using points (i think), so i would say that parry is a better choice of the 2. And i definitely wouldn't waste 240 points (wrestling &amp; parry) just to have better chance at dodging melee attacks. But I suck as a mage, so take that advice for what it's worth.

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

I couldnt remember which was "checked" first in combat... weapon skill or parry... If you're right... tks.

also, it's just 120points into parry and trust me... it works great. You only need the added offense if really... yours sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weapon skill is definately checked first. Ever tried to train parry when you have weapon skill? Your gains go so much faster if you hold a weapon outside of your weapon class. This way, you fail the weapon check almost everytime and force the game to check your parry skill (giving a chance at a gain).

Unlike many other field mages, I do not bless a Scrappers. I use my Siege Bless on a good 1/3 with SDI, Phys Res, and 12% DCI. That DCI alone with 120 wrestle makes a very noticable difference... until I get hit with a HLD. At that point, ugh... I suppose parry would help, but I'm not sold on it working well with low dex. (You say it still works fine, I am wondering if they ever got around to fixing that bug involving parry and dex--for a time, it ignored the characters dex)

As for my offensive prowess... I have very little, so I need all the help I can get. Have been running scribe for quite a while now, but I think I am going to drop it for detecting hidden. That skill is invaluble in many group field fights involving stealthers.

A

AntiOTF

I dunno about dex and parry, but one thing I know for sure is that a mage on siege just simply can't afford to run with 85 dex, or he's so toast.