• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for help taming a greater drag

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I am on the Europa shard and am looking for help taming a greater dragon, i have 115 tame with rings and 115 lore, each time i have tried solo i get killed. Any help appreciated.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honor and a taming skill of 115+ is a pretty safe bet.

Otherwise .......

First off, get the best resist suit you can (not that it helps all that much), get orange petals, get Margery as high as you can, get a Mage weapon -0 and equip it.

Ok, the Mage weapon -0 was the single greatest improvement to surviving a Greater Dragon Attack I encountered/learned about. It basicaly takes your Weapon skill (Magery in this case) vs the Greater Dragons Wrestling skill and calculates your ability to mitigate/defend the attack.

The Orange Petals prevent vs Poison.

The Resists on the Suits further protect and mitigate any attacks that get to you.

I am a peace tamer and on occasion I have been able to peace a Greater Dragon. Of those times, 99% of the time it is only good until I "You have angered the Beast". From that point on it is Lead Taming. I have actually tamed a number of GD's this way and I have actually died a lot of times this way.

IF you have the means, then go kill White Wyrms in Ice Dungeon. Make sure you Honor them first and you can work your way up to Level 3 bubble 5 (I have never managed to get above 5 as I use honor way to much) before you know it. In addition you can make 1200+ Gold, 22 Barbed Hides (Green) and 9 Dragon Scales per White Wyrm.

N

Nenime

Hi, I am on the Europa shard and am looking for help taming a greater dragon, i have 115 tame with rings and 115 lore, each time i have tried solo i get killed. Any help appreciated.
You are actually looking for assistance, do you? I'm really sorry but I do not have a Tamer on Europa. But if you visit Drachenfels I'm with you or respectively I can give you some nice ones.

When I'm bored and need a thrill I just tame them for fun, give them silly names and release them near a scripter *sardonic laughter* :D. Naah, just a joke, I only did this once. But seriously now:
When I'm hunting in Destard with a GD myself and I come across a good one, I usually don't exchange any skills. Addionally to my high Mana-reg/faster casting suit I wear a 70-all-resist-suit for quick changing per makro. Sword of Prosperity and high DCI probably helps too - unfortunately I don't have it :(.
Procedure is: first lure you designated pet to the eastern cave part (about where the Water Eles are). Run to Dragon, invis, if it doesn't reveal you -> tame/invis again and again, else run away (far, best behind a rock), heal and repeat. When the going gets tough, throw a Confusion Blast Potion. Sometimes yes, I whack them first to reduce their tempo and the Fire Breath damage (especially when it's one with high Wrestling, Magery and Strength) but sometimes not because they'll teleport on you anyway as long as they have mana - and they have a lot.

When I have to tame several of them (for Guild or selling), I soulstone Music and Provo/Peace and take Resisting Spells and Spellweaving. Every five minutes I use Etheral Voyage and sometimes Honor if I don't want to wait. Averagely, I die 1-2 times per Dragon, sometimes more, sometime not at all. This is with Legendary Tamer (and Lore/Vet).

I admit it's a thrill and very satisfying (and maybe a bit masochistic) to tame one alone. But I assisted quite a few fellow tamers and it's a LOT easier when you have assistance. That is someone with capped out FC/FCR that can invis/heal you fast and reliable. Or ehrrr... and resurrect you if you screw up. ;)

R

Revertex

Hi Dodger. I've found Nenime's tactics work the best for greater drags if you're not using honour (I don't). They're pretty slow to target you, so normally you can keep casting invis fast enough during a tame attempt to not take any damage. The hardest part is getting a succesful taming attempt in before you get hit. Precast invis before you run in to tame, have a taming macro set so you can spam tame at it, then invis yourself as soon as an attempt sticks. As previously mentioned, a zero skill loss mage weapon, high DCI and high resists (specifically in phys and fire) will help incase it goes a bit wrong...
Another good method, if there are two of you, is have one tamer set his own drag on your target, shout all stop, and keep it healed up. Then the second tamer can start spamming tame on the target. The target will occasionally swap targets to you, but if it does, often just running off a short way will make it go back to the first tamers pet. Just helps to keep the heat of you a little, which is nice.
I tame on Europa, too. If you ever want any help taming one of these, drop me a line. If I'm on, I'll come and help. I've solo tamed loads of these, but its much faster when there are two people :)

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a couple of 'spare' Dragons on Europa. Drop me a line on ICQ (202303060) or come find me at the weekly Europa Auction.

The easiest way I found to tame these (without using honour that is) is to beat one down, then lead-tame it while invissing yourself as much as you can. Other then good tactics you'll need good resists on your suit to survive, high taming skill and preferably the Resisting Spells skill.

S

Sarphus

I just soulstone peace over to my char and wear sorceror's armor. If I hear the dragon rearing up to breathe on me, I ae peace (assuming i"m not waiting on the skill timer).

In other words, I basically lead tame them. It's not as easy as honor taming them, but you don't have to work up honor to do it.

F

Finch

Honor and a taming skill of 115+ is a pretty safe bet.

IF you have the means, then go kill White Wyrms in Ice Dungeon. Make sure you Honor them first and you can work your way up to Level 3 bubble 5 (I have never managed to get above 5 as I use honor way to much) before you know it. In addition you can make 1200+ Gold, 22 Barbed Hides (Green) and 9 Dragon Scales per White Wyrm.
Ok I have "honored" opponents before, but I have never used it, how do you use honor and what does honor do?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I have "honored" opponents before, but I have never used it, how do you use honor and what does honor do?
You honor yourself.

The way I do it.

1) Precast Invis.
2) Run up to the mob your going to Tame
3) Pop the Invis on yourself. This should insure NOTHING is aggro'd on you. Repeat this until your confident that you have nothing aggro'd on you. Note: there should not be anything aggro'd if the invis took and you do not get revealed.
4) Now Honor yourself. This will NOT reveal you.
5) Begin the Tame Spam.

I think that tier 3 bubble 3 gives you approximately 90 seconds of being Honored.

In this state (being honored) nothing will aggro on you that was NOT aggro'd before (meaning that anything that was aggro'd on you before you Honored yourself will remain aggo'd on you, hence the Invis to lose aggro). So yes you will get the "You anger the Beast" message but nothing will happen. You need to still stay close to start a tame cycle and they may move off/away from you.

You need to be ON YOUR TOES and watch for that GD to turn Grey and MOVE FAST if he does. That means you ran out of time on the HONOR count down..

Once Honor has worn off, you will enter into a 5 minute time out period before you can honor yourself again.

At tier / level 3 bubble 3 I could Honor twice and still be in tier / level 3. I have never needed more than two honor cycles to tame a GD. Normally I have enough time left on the first Honor Cycle to walk the GD out of Destard from the opposite side from the entrance.