• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for Criticism

N

Naisikras

So I am trying to make a comeback to UO and ever since I placed my little 10x15 I've been customizing over and over hah. I don't know I haven't even start playing UO again yet, I just keep recustomizing. I'm looking for my ideal design. I think I've come up with a great plan and am trying to get some feedback:

Anything you all would do different? Like I said I'm pretty happy with it. I would like to start decorating it and am looking for ideas. I really really would like to stay as old-school as possible, I was really hesitant to go with this and not the two story villa. I'm buying up as many potted plants as possible as I like those a lot. Appreciate any and all feedback - even negative feedback.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have very much captured the classic look. But everyone has an idea of what looks good. I'll reserve my verdict till it's decorated. While running around I'll occasionally see what looks like a good design so I jump on the steps to see the decoration and I'm amazed at how someone who could come up with such a nice design could do such an awful job of deco.

Anyway, I'm off topic. If you're happy with the look, then it's a good design.

Now if it were my house (and I'm not a huge fan of the classic look) and I could change a few things, here's what I would play around with.

It's a little too linear for my tastes so I would try experimenting with pulling back the second level a bit, and overhanging the top level, or push out the second level, or bring it in on the side and vary it a bit. Maybe poke a chimney through the roof. Smallest change I would make is the third floor east facing wall. It just looks bland to me, but decorating could fix it. Not a fan of the pond out front. I'd just leave it blank and toss down a legacy fountain, or another garden, or just some water tiles bordered with flowers instead of the brown low wall. But again, the deco you do could change my opinion of that pond pretty quickly.

Anyway, if you take my advice, the house won't be yours anymore, it will look like mine. But your design is good - now let's see it decorated.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only criteria for ugly vs perfection is that the design isnt a single three story box. Your home looks perfect to me :) For alot of folks, recustomizing IS playing the game!

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great "classic" look here... (I have a Villa and it definitly has drawbacks)... Stick some plants or something on that wonderful 3rd story patio....

Just sayin...
;)