• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Longevity

I'm at work and an article popped up on my desktop about how the folks over at Runescape are shutting down their Classic servers citing that their tools for maintenance could no longer keep up. Not that I ever played that game it did get me thinking - given how long UO has been around, longer than Runescape Classic, how much time do you think is left in the old girl?

I've linked the article below if you are interested.

RuneScape Classic is shutting down after 17 years

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
UO's servers are probably good for a long time.

There have already been several entire server ports/hardware changes over the years (the Central server being merged with the East Coast servers, the admin stuff and test servers moving around from TX to CA to VA), and now, the Servers are ACTUALLY being handled by a cloud service, with the software maintenance being done from VA.

The reasons the Runescape people are giving are BS.

The truth is that ALL games have macro cheater issues, and that their "safety tools" were effectively the company's OWN automation to try to catch cheaters, that only worked with the newer games. They were too lazy to try to do human enforcement in RC, and hadn't been doing anything with RC for years (by their own admission) other than just running it, so they decided to use the "can't use the safety tools" YEARS after letting the game just rot on the vine with no supervision as an EXCUSE to kill the game. IT should have been shut down years ago, if the "safety tools" were the real reason.

I can understand why they are ending the game, but they really went out of the way to make a BS excuse as to why, instead of giving the real reasons.