Hey folks - Hippalus here with a couple big updates to skin prices designed to give players more value for their skin purchases and better align skin pricing with the amount of work that went into them.
As you've probably noticed, the quality of champion skins has increased dramatically since we started creating them way back in the day. This upward trend in quality is something that we're always looking to advance while continuing to provide good value and affordable prices to players. With that in mind, we felt it was time to revisit RP skin pricing and come up with improvements for 2013 and beyond.
975 RP has become an extremely broad tier, encompassing skins of wildly differing production quality. We wanted to better define the value of your purchase, and will soon implement a couple of big pricing changes as we move skins into more clearly defined RP tiers and establish two new tiers at 750 and 1350 RP. By positioning skins into tiers based on their features, you'll have a better idea of what you're getting for your RP and be able to make more informed purchase decisions.
Here's a breakdown of the new skin prices with what features you can expect for each skin:
390/520 RP skins
- These are outdated tiers used for skins that only featured texture changes, a new splash image, and at times slight model changes.
- 36 skins in the store at the 975 RP tier will have their prices lowered to 520 RP
- No new skins will be created for these tiers, but existing skins in the store are eligible to be put on sale.
- Example: Loch Ness Cho'Gath, Aviator Irelia
750 RP – New tier
- Skins in the new 750 RP tier feature new texture and model work as well as a new splash image; and some skins in this tier will feature new animations.
- 40 skins from the current 975 RP tier will have their prices lowered to 750 RP
- We expect that 10-20% of skins in 2013 will be released at 750 RP, and they will be eligible to be put on sale.
- Examples: Little Knight Amumu, Explorer Ezreal
- 975 RP skins feature a new model, textures and splash image; some skins in this tier will feature new animations, visual effects and sounds where appropriate for the theme of the skin.
- We expect that 50-75% of skins released in 2013 will be 975 RP, and they are eligible to be put on sale.
- Examples: Haunted Maokai, Jade Dragon Wukong
- Skins in the 1350 RP tier will feature a new model, textures, splash image, animations, visual effects and sounds. In some cases, these skins will also have processed voice overs.
- This tier is intended for skins that go above and beyond the quality of 975 RP skins but don't quite reach legendary status.
- 3 skins from the current 1820 Legendary tier will have their prices lowered to 1350 RP
- <strike>18</strike> 17 skins from the current 975 RP tier will be moved to the 1350 RP tier
- We expect that 7-15% of skins released in 2013 will be 1350 RP, and they are eligible to be put on sale
- Examples: Blackthorn Morgana, Arcade Sona
1820 RP – Legendary skins
- A legendary skin completely changes the look and feel of a champion.
- These skins feature a new model, textures and splash image as well as completely new animations, visuals, voice over and sounds.
- We expect that 6-10% of skins released in 2013 will be Legendaries, and they will not be put on sale.
- Examples: Battlecast Prime Cho'Gath, Brolaf
3250 RP – Ultimate skins
- An ultimate skin is a complete reimagining of a champion that includes an evolving model and additional features and bonuses, such as summoner icons.
- 3250 RP skins feature a new model that evolves into different forms, textures, splash image, animations, visuals, voice over and sounds, as well as additional content.
- We expect that 2-4% of skins released in 2013 will be Ultimates. They may have initial promotions or discounts, but will not be put on sale.
- Examples: Pulsefire Ezreal
The price changes will all go into effect at 9am PST on April 25, so there is plenty of time to plan any purchases of skins that are impacted. Partial refunds will be automatically granted for all past purchases of the three legendary skins (Astronaut Teemo, Lion Dance Kog'Maw, and Piltover Customs Blitzcrank) that are decreasing in price, as that is a price-protected skin tier. No other refunds will be granted in relation to these changes.
That's it for now! All of the skins that will be changing in price are listed below. Let us know your thoughts in the comments - we'll do our best to address your questions.