• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lockpicking Basics

Hey guys!

I'm looking into Treasure Hunting and am trying to work my lockpicking a little. I read on here that you only need one box. I have a carp/tinker (~30/64) and made a few boxes to work with initially.

I gained a point or two on the first box, but stopped earning points quickly. It was locked (never unlocked it) but gained no skill after ~100 or so picks used.

I haven't found anything to corroborate, but is my carpentry skill also a factor in making the lockboxes? Or do I need to put the box on the ground as opposed to backpack?

Please excuse the rookie questions, I'm still getting things figured out ;)

Thanks in advance.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
30-50 skill use boxes made by a tinkerer with 50 skill
50-70 skill use boxes made by a tinkerer with 70 skill
70-95 skill use boxes made by a tinkerer with GM skill
95-100 skill use level 4 dungeon and treasure chests

Lockpicking – Ultima Online

Thank you for your reply DreadLord Lestat! It was your guide that I've been following. Do I use the same box, and pick over and over? I'm only at ~27 lockpicking, but seem no have zero skill gain.

Thank you,

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, check around on your shard. Many shards have a house with all the boxes you need to train on. Some of them might even give you some of their boxes, as many of them date from when there was anti-macroing code that required a lot of different boxes, and now the house might be needing the storage space freed up (the hard part will be breaking up the keychain and figuring out which key goes to which chest.

You can also use level 4 paragon chests (chests off creatures that normally have level 3 maps as loot, such as liches and drakes) to gain on after 95, as well as taking a GM tinker box to the Twisted Weald and getting discoed by a satyr (which is extremely risky, as you have to time getting discoed, invised, then reveal yourself to keep disco going - and may get killed by the satyr, or even peaced by a nearby dryad then killed by the satyr - not to mention the danger of having a changeling come down, or Irk jump the wall)

Fantastic I'll check around my shard and see if I can find something like that. I'm glad they changed the code, it's pretty cool we can use one box now. I was able to setup a macro, lockpicking is off & running, even dug up my first Level 1 treasure today. Thanks a bunch guys!!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I’ve always raised lockpicking easily and quickly on paragon chests - if you have a warrior, go to the titan temple near the honesty gate and kill until you get an ettin, cyclops and titan paragon chest (or a miasma chest for top end). Make a couple hundred lockpicks and a use x 10 macro. Start using picks on the ettin chest. You will keep gaining as the picks break until the chest opens. Then gain on the cyclops chest, then the titan or miasma chest. You will end up around 75 or so, which is enough to open L6 chests with not many fails, especially after you loot some skeleton keys. You will keep gaining locks as you thunt. Anybody else use this method?