• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Little something I found on Markee Dragon! Link Inside.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. Sounds like he/she was one of the most dedicated UO players and they just turned their back on him/her. I was hoping that they would have got some compensation since they were reportedly having a meeting on how deal it out, but it seems they changed their mind.
And to make it worse they admittedly had a GM who "went a little overboard."

D

DuttyD

How is Markee a dedicated player? He bought codes for real money, sold them for gold, then sold the gold....
For years he has used the game to make money.... That is all he is dedicated to, making money.
Thats all fine because gold sellers ruin MMORPGS.

That being said I agree with everything he has to say against EA.
The people you see complaining about EA play other games where there is something called Support, and have experienced love from the game makers. He was right when he said EA takes a Corporate approach. They show ZERO respect for their fans, proven by UO, WAR, DAoC, and ANY console game.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the deal. I love UO. I love Mythic. But EA utterly baffles me. The feeling I get is that they see their customers as the enemy. That feeling is based directly on how we are treated by EA.

I wrote to EA Support about their UOGamecodes.com issues and the support rep included a spoofed link in his reply to me (looked like www.uogamecodes.com but took me to a warez site with a referrer ID in the URL). Believe it or not, when I posted about this on the forums here (you'd think this would concern some people), the mod T_Amon_From_Work quickly and quietly moved it away from the main forum, and into the Spiels N Rants forum.

I have also been told by EA Support on the phone that customer service reps are no longer trained to handle UO account issues. EA, if you're that ambivalent about your customers, why don't you sell your IPs to someone who'd care?

OH WAIT. You'll never read this because you live in the ivory tower that we paid for.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OH WAIT. You'll never read this because you live in the ivory tower that we paid for.

See this?

This is Falkor.

He's gonna kick EA's ass right outta the ivory tower. With luck.

ok ok, bad neverending story referance.

Seriously though. EA's pathetic excuse for customer service is the main reason i left. A close friend of mine was banned for warning her guildmates about the dangers of duping at a guild meeting. they didn't just ban her either. they deleted her acct. like markee's.

was the final straw for me.

as for the people who claim he didnt do anything for UO and wasnt a dedicated player. he made UO an option for people who couldnt afford to pay the monthly fee's with rl cash. and got s**t on for it. granted he made a buck, but he should have been paid for the work and service he provided.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is Markee a dedicated player? He bought codes for real money, sold them for gold, then sold the gold....
For years he has used the game to make money.... That is all he is dedicated to, making money.
Well he played for 11 years. I would assume he did more than just selling stuff for money :p

But I meant dedication in EA's eyes for all the years he spent playing and money he gave them. According to the post, a moderate estimate was $250,000.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The people who got their accounts deleted got busted for having truckloads of dupes on those accounts. EA should have deleted ALL their accounts rather than just the accounts with the dupes on them.

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And to make it worse they admittedly had a GM who 'went a little overboard'.
Arrrrr, me be wonderin' if 'went a lil overboard', as used here, can be translated as 'wasn't properly trained'!

D

DuttyD

Well he played for 11 years. I would assume he did more than just selling stuff for money :p

But I meant dedication in EA's eyes for all the years he spent playing and money he gave them. According to the post, a moderate estimate was $250,000.
Well, people like him are ruining the game. So I don't care how much money he spent, he is a dedicated ass for selling tokens,gold, accounts.
He was not a dedicated player, he treated this game like his job. He was a dedicated person to making money.... I am glad his acct got banned, and I hope Lynn does along with every other site that ruins this game.... +1 Brownie point for EA...2 million to go

M

Mr Man

Well, people like him are ruining the game. So I don't care how much money he spent, he is a dedicated ass for selling tokens,gold, accounts.
He was not a dedicated player, he treated this game like his job. He was a dedicated person to making money.... I am glad his acct got banned, and I hope Lynn does along with every other site that ruins this game.... +1 Brownie point for EA...2 million to go
This game is already ruined, dont kid yourself. Dont worry about people like him, cause noone like him really plays anymore. It dosn't pay to sell to the 500 people who still play UO.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is my first and formost biggest problem. I have always liked uo, i like the gameplay/style, the look and feel, from top to bottom i like this game. I hate the service anymore and the lack of care for the playerbase just as much as the next person. As much as i want to move to a different game, it is very hard to pack up and move on to the next one. I've tried it several times, and uo draws me back in. I'm not sure if it is because i havent found a game i truely like (don't care for wow, aoc, etc etc) or if it is just hard to break 10 years of experience with a certain type of anything. I can't wait till the day, which hopefully isn't far off, that i can lift a finger and say "**** YOU ea, for ruining what could have been"

S

skin2

Here is my first and formost biggest problem. I have always liked uo, i like the gameplay/style, the look and feel, from top to bottom i like this game. I hate the service anymore and the lack of care for the playerbase just as much as the next person. As much as i want to move to a different game, it is very hard to pack up and move on to the next one. I've tried it several times, and uo draws me back in. I'm not sure if it is because i havent found a game i truely like (don't care for wow, aoc, etc etc) or if it is just hard to break 10 years of experience with a certain type of anything. I can't wait till the day, which hopefully isn't far off, that i can lift a finger and say "**** YOU ea, for ruining what could have been"

i played ultima since ultima 4 back in 1984/85 and i loved it and played most of them ( with the collection they released) i joined uo online in 2000 and i played for years untill about 2006 when i just lost intrest in the game , mainly it was cause ea just didn't give a fig about the game all they cared about was the cash and we was annoying plebs daring to ask for thing ( like fixs and the like) i remember the shock of reading that sunsword the so called lead producer of ultima had spent the better part of a year working on another game ( he confessed when he quit ) i think that was the straw that broke the camels back

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously, there are a lot of folk here who know nothing about Markee Dragon. He had a huge web site dedicated to UO and how to play it, lists of stuff to make to get the best gains in the various crafting trades, where to find specific critters and how to fight them, etc. Yes, he would buy and sell items for UO gold at reasonable prices, making rare items available to the ordinary player who didn't have cash to buy gold on Ebay. UO support has gone steadily downhill... more like off a high cliff when they outsourced it all to Inja and this is just one more example of how bad it has gotten.

E

eolsunder

Well you never know who is a good guy or who is a bad guy in the traders market. Markee has been up for a very long time, and was a site very useful in finding knowledge of many UO items, events and other things. A great site.

But yes, rampant abuse of the UO system has been in use for a long time. I myself traded with many uo suppliers over the years, some good, some crooked, and believe me, abuse is rampant.

But also real trading is rampant also. Buying low and selling high has been the traders credo since day 1. There isn't anything wrong with what markee did, or many other traders, including myself did. Gold and RL money go hand in hand, the value of each depends on how the player deems them important.

If you play UO once in a while and make some gold, it will take you a LONG time to make 50 million gold. Yet today i can contact a gold trader and buy 50 million gold for money. One days work. So i can decide to work an extra saturday and make some money to buy 50 million gold, or i can play uo and maybe take months to make it. mmmm so which is more important.

Me, i've played for many years, so making gold is boring, and i don't like doing it. I play to have fun. if i want a great arti or item i just buy it, i don't work for months to save up gold to buy it. To me thats worthless and wasteful. I can buy it, and enjoy the game instead of having to "gold farm".

But the people who used to make money in the game fastest were the traders (not the hackers/dupers/abusers of today who dupe their items to hawk for 10 mil each). Traders were those who bought an account from someone quitting for 400 dollars, and took the time to re-sell everything and make 500 dollars. Or smart traders would sit at the bank when glacial staffs first came out, buying them for 100k and selling them 5 minutes later for 125k. Thats what traders do. We don't take the current duping method of getting glacial robes and make 100 of them to hawk across the shards.

Did Markee make his gold honestly or not? Don't know, i don't know the guy. But i know many of the gold traders out there, i have did business with them over the years, and some do ok, and some do it by cheating. I remember on catskills there was a HUGE trader/collector in the old days who made his fortune duping items, using that money and items to purchace true rares, and had the largest collection on catskills. People worshipped him for his collection, but he gained it all through bad methods. Thankfully he disappeared and his many items were spread out to other people like Centurio and other collectors.

Not all people play by the rules, but there isn't anything wrong with people who play by the rules and make money. Thats what business is. I only traded part time, i wasn't a full time UO trader like Markee or others were, and i easily was trading 20 mil gold a week not even including houses, accounts, items, etc. There were traders who did 10x as much as I ever could have who did it full time.

I did everything legally, i loved my accounts i wouldn't do anything to risk them, even though I knew of the dupe methods, the young/inkeeper seller programs, and all the other stuff. I didn't trade for the money, i did it because i liked doing it, it was fun. I was the first person on catskills to bulk trade regeants by collecting them and selling them in bulks of 5000/10000 for 2x the price and people laughed and said "no one will ever buy for that" but everyone did, because it saved them time when they could be doing other things than gathering regs. And i never ran out of customers. Doran keep up the tradition after i left ( i guess he's still about, don't know).

Trading means finding a nich that people need. And a good trader was able to use the real life money/gold connection to take advantage even more.

B

Barrakketh

I found this today as I was bored and surfing the net.

Decided to post this here and not the UHall Boards since I didn't want this locked.

Definately worth the read I thought and give a bit of insight to some of the bannings, deletions, and stuff from earlier this year.

http://www.markeedragon.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2146715/Attention_EA_Your_customer_ser

Assuming MD is telling the truth , and thats a very very big IF , then it sounds like EA support has a case of insanity. I cant imagine in a sane world why any profit seeking business would do what MD claims.

I do know one thing and that's there are people at EA now that have "interest" with MD's competition.

So searching for a rational reason for this ...

1) MD competitors just removed him from the game , or at least made it less profitable for MD.

2) Maybe there is a slight chance that EA thought MD services were hurting EA's sales of UO products.

3) MD is lying out his ass , he has always sold duped items/gold directly and indirectly and was finally caught and punished for it.

My intuition on this is that MD got caught in a big net doing stuff he had gotten away with in the past and he felt that the history of gold for codes service business et. al would insulate him from this round of punishment and it didnt.

S

Shioni

I bet that account wasn't deleted, but it was hijacked.... So naive to think a gm wouldn't notice how much money someone could make selling that... absolute power.... absolute corruption

H

Hanna

MD didn't make EA any money, he just changed the buyer of the codes, codes they would have sold anyway. He also made it very easy to pay for gametime by cheating. It's no loss at all.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MD didn't make EA any money, he just changed the buyer of the codes, codes they would have sold anyway. He also made it very easy to pay for gametime by cheating. It's no loss at all.
So he just magically acquired the gametime codes and tokens for free never paying EA any money for them at all even though he got them through EA's game code site, uogamecodes.com? Not a very good post you made here...

H

Hanna

So he just magically acquired the gametime codes and tokens for free never paying EA any money for them at all even though he got them through EA's game code site, uogamecodes.com? Not a very good post you made here...
You missed the point, he took direct sales custmers away from EA by selling game codes for gold. No he didnt make EA money, people would have bought them from EA, had he not done that. Instead they found ways to make hugh amounts of gold, so that they didn't have to fork out the cash directly. Then MD sold the gold on eBay for a profit. This in no way boosted EA sales. Infact it most likely just encouraged more cheating, which generally results in a loss of sales to EA.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You missed the point, he took direct sales custmers away from EA by selling game codes for gold. No he didnt make EA money, people would have bought them from EA, had he not done that. Instead they found ways to make hugh amounts of gold, so that they didn't have to fork out the cash directly. Then MD sold the gold on eBay for a profit. This in no way boosted EA sales. Infact it most likely just encouraged more cheating, which generally results in a loss of sales to EA.
No.
Not everyone who bought from MD would have payed EA regardless. Not everyone who wants game codes wants to pay $ for it. MD offered a way for players to be able to get these codes by means of in-game gold as opposed to having to pay extra $ to get these items. And I fail to see how it would have encouraged cheating and would have resulted in EA losing money since either way to get the codes MD or anyone else still has to pay EA $ to get these codes.
The only way for players to pay in-game gold to get game codes is through sellers like MD who STILL have to pay EA to get these codes.

H

Hanna

No.
Not everyone who bought from MD would have payed EA regardless. Not everyone who wants game codes wants to pay $ for it. MD offered a way for players to be able to get these codes by means of in-game gold as opposed to having to pay extra $ to get these items. And I fail to see how it would have encouraged cheating and would have resulted in EA losing money since either way to get the codes MD or anyone else still has to pay EA $ to get these codes.
The only way for players to pay in-game gold to get game codes is through sellers like MD who STILL have to pay EA to get these codes.
The amount of gold required for the tokens, by itself encourage cheating. Unless you were one of those that exploited the smelted deeds bug. or one of the other exploits in the game. So you were cheating already, it still did nothing to help EA.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The amount of gold required for the tokens, by itself encourage cheating. Unless you were one of those that exploited the smelted deeds bug. or one of the other exploits in the game. So you were cheating already, it still did nothing to help EA.
Lol. Just because I defend MD here you assume I cheat? That is sooo cute :D Do that to everyone who disagrees with you? j/k lol
Believe it or not, not everyone who buys tokens cheats and exploits.
Regardless these tokens still cost $ and that $ goes to EA.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bottom line:

MD is no different than any other player who decides to sell tokens/game codes for gold. And other players in this game still sell tokens/game codes. The only difference MD has is that he is well known and had a cool website.
MD doesn't encourage cheating anymore than any other player vendor in this game regardless of what that vendor is selling. Namely those vendors that sell high end weapons/armor, artifacts, scrolls, etc, most of which can cost much more than tokens/game codes.
MD was simply a well known player with vendors that decided to buy tokens/game codes from EA and sell it in-game for gold as well as other items as well.

H

Hanna

Lol. Just because I defend MD here you assume I cheat? That is sooo cute Do that to everyone who disagrees with you? j/k lol
Believe it or not, not everyone who buys tokens cheats and exploits.
Regardless these tokens still cost $ and that $ goes to EA....

Bottom line:

MD is no different than any other player who decides to sell tokens/game codes for gold. And other players in this game still sell tokens/game codes. The only difference MD has is that he is well known and had a cool website.
MD doesn't encourage cheating anymore than any other player vendor in this game regardless of what that vendor is selling. Namely those vendors that sell high end weapons/armor, artifacts, scrolls, etc, most of which can cost much more than tokens/game codes.
MD was simply a well known player with vendors that decided to buy tokens/game codes from EA and sell it in-game for gold as well as other items as well.
Thanks for rephasing everything I said to mean something else, obviously I had no intension of it meaning what I said. Unless of couse you were one of the ones I ws refering to. ;-)

Everyone that I met running hugh vendors or running UO characters just for income was cheating -- most admitted it to me, and others I was able to detect their cheat.

I honestly don't believe that when a million in gold was going to for over $25 people weren't cheating to get when they used it to by tokens. You will never ever get me to believe that. Now some peopel think because everyone they knew was doing the same thing , it's not really cheating. But it is.

B

Barrakketh

Thanks for rephasing everything I said to mean something else, obviously I had no intension of it meaning what I said. Unless of couse you were one of the ones I ws refering to. ;-)

Everyone that I met running hugh vendors or running UO characters just for income was cheating -- most admitted it to me, and others I was able to detect their cheat.

I honestly don't believe that when a million in gold was going to for over $25 people weren't cheating to get when they used it to by tokens. You will never ever get me to believe that. Now some peopel think because everyone they knew was doing the same thing , it's not really cheating. But it is.

ditto..

I learned the same ... through guild contacts and other players every millionair was cheating one way or another , it was always game exploits , bugs hacks or all of the above. Usually it started with rares using game exploits to get lots of rares , dupes using game bugs to dupe everything and anything , and game hacks that made the game ridiculously easy to beat the hell out of it getting any item they wanted.

MD is an opportunist exploiting the situation for profit.

People often bragged in game they made any where from the subscription fee to large monthly incomes exploiting UO.

100% of those that I know that paid MD gold for time codes were hackers/exploiters etc. according to their own description of how they did it.