• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

List of Pets with Lower Slots than Normal

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok.. so I worked myself up to 90 taming the hard way and have just begun capturing some amazing pets. After reading the forums for 3 nights straight; I'm wondering if we could possibly make a list of all pets that have a lower slot number than what is -normal-. For a first example to help... Najasauruses usually spawn as 3 slot pets... but I managed to nab a very wicked looking 2 slot one still. It even had 209 Dex... which will make it extremely fast if I read correctly. I'm wondering if the rune beetles, phoenixes, tsuki wolves, and other great companions can spawn as a lower slot count than normal.

I tested about 30 tsuki wolves so far... and they all appeared to be 3 slot. But there could be that extremely rare one, which is what I'm wondering. The same for the rest. If anyone knows of any please share with us and thanks! :) :) I will update when and if I find any as well.

So far:
Nightmares 3 or 2
Najasaurus 3 or 2
Rune Beetles 3 or 4
Greater Dragons 5 or 4
Frost Dragon 5 or 4
White Wyrm 4 or 3
Reptalon 3 or 2
Dragon Turtle 5 or 4
Dread Spider 3
Tsuki Wolf 3
Phoenix 4 or 3
Frost Mite 3 or 2
Dire Wolf 2 or 1
Skree 4 or 3
Bake Kitsune 3
High Plains Boura 3 or 2
Lesser Hiryu 2 or 1

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can anyone confirm that Tsuki Wolves are always a 3? I've checked about 50 so far and it would seem that they are all a 3. I gave up and am moving on to Phoenixes for now... as I don't see any wolves with anything over-capped or as a must have stat except higher strength and HP. I can farm those later I figure. If anyone has found a 2 or 4 slot Tsuki Wolf, please let me know and thanks. :) :)

Rhafiki

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Dire wolves....are they supposed to be 2 slot? tamed 2 and one was 1 slot, other was 2. Lore said they were supposed to be 2-3

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone confirm that Tsuki Wolves are always a 3? I've checked about 50 so far and it would seem that they are all a 3. I gave up and am moving on to Phoenixes for now... as I don't see any wolves with anything over-capped or as a must have stat except higher strength and HP. I can farm those later I figure. If anyone has found a 2 or 4 slot Tsuki Wolf, please let me know and thanks. :) :)
Im 99% sure. I killed like 50 myself checking the same thing, all were 3. I also killed 200+ hell hounds, and all were 2 slots (stupid). I checked Bake's for a shorter period, but all of those were the same 3 slots as well.

Dire wolves can spawn 1 slot, usually are 2.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dread spiders seem to be only 3.
I have killed tons but never found a 2 slots one. :(

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks everyone for adding to this. I added all of your inputs to the list at the top. Please keep those new updates coming everyone and please let me know if I have anything wrong. Thanks too for confirming about the Tsuki Wolves for me. : ) : )

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Has anyone found a 4 slot shadow wyrm yet? I heard someone had one on test centre pre-patch but I haven't been able to get one since patch yet

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried taming a few discorded ones, didn't notice a difference.
That sucks. I'd LOVE a 1-4 Dire wolf or hell hound, but it seems like it's impossible to get, as every Dire I've had slots up just by getting it's stats to 125, and I've seen no 1 slot hell hounds. It's so stupid. I mean... compare them to a stone slith for example that can go to 5 slots from 1... Slith is EASILY superior at 1 slot to either at 2. I really think it's the god damn natural necro/ss/hiding. I have half a mind to tame one, bond it, then kill it 300 times to wipe the skill and see if that makes any difference. :/

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found best lesser hiryu is wild 2 slot. I tamed few, all took 2 followers after tame but reset to 1 slot after I start training. Tried to find worst 3 slot hiryu to reset it to 2 slot without success.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I found best lesser hiryu is wild 2 slot. I tamed few, all took 2 followers after tame but reset to 1 slot after I start training. Tried to find worst 3 slot hiryu to reset it to 2 slot without success.
I have yet to find a 2 slot lesser. Though having 5 of them on my sampire gives some great extra damage.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I discovered something disturbing. I leveled a 2 slot Frost Mite side by side with the 3 Slot one on TC. Both just got 2 rounds of training. The 2 slotter one simply went from 3 to 4 and then to 5 as I was applying points the second time around. The end result was that the 3slot mite had slightly better stats than the 2 slot one, I am guessing due to differences in starting stats.
If this is how the rest of these pets work, trying to find a low slot pet is actually a bad thing.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I discovered something disturbing. I leveled a 2 slot Frost Mite side by side with the 3 Slot one on TC. Both just got 2 rounds of training. The 2 slotter one simply went from 3 to 4 and then to 5 as I was applying points the second time around. The end result was that the 3slot mite had slightly better stats than the 2 slot one, I am guessing due to differences in starting stats.
If this is how the rest of these pets work, trying to find a low slot pet is actually a bad thing.
I had a najasaurus go from 2 to 3 slots before his training began too just last night. I hope there are some that stay 2 slots.... as that's half the fun in taming is finding the rarer ones. Anyone else have any information on this that will help??

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Me and a guildy tamed 2x 2 slot nightmares last night and at some point between taming and getting to the stable they had reverted to 3 slot.

Makes me wonder if the lower slot is a bug and they actually are hard coded to a slot level

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
This may be based on stats prior to finishing the training. If your Mite had say 95 Dex/Sta when tamed and then while training it went up to 125 that may push it up into the next slot category? I know with a 3 slot Phoenix that I've now trained to 5 slots, this didn't happen. This makes me think that stats are heavily weighted and will be more likely to determine a creatures pre-tame slot count.

The phoenix I tamed had 262 (300 max) dex, but its str and int were just shy of 600 (700 being max). Skills seem to be weighted much less, and most tames only have about half of the total weight in resists. I am tempted to go back and see if I can't get a 3 slot Phoenix with max HP, str and dex. :D

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was wondering if a number of legacy pets (pre-publish), if they died a lot before being trained, might end up being lower slots.

If not, I lucked into having several lower slot pets (including a Rune Beetle) already in my stable.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what about normal Dragons? any found a 3 slot? because it's a little strange that most White Wyrms are 3 slot and Dragons are 4 slot..
What's all that about?

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I've searched high and low for a 2, but never found any, no matter how 'bad' they are. I've also never seen a 4, even with one that pretty well maxed every stat.