• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lion & Saber-toothed healing?

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen both lions and saber-toothed tigers, tamed, with healing skill. I've read in a couple places that you can fight them prior to taming and once they heal themselves and you hear the bandaid sound, they'll have healing skill and you can tame them.

I've tried beating them down and they never heal themselves. Anatomy goes up but never healing. Can anyone confirm that this does, in fact, work? And if so, how far do you have to beat them down? I spent over 40 minutes with one lion beating it down to 90% health and waiting.... half health and waiting.... 25% health and waiting... nothing. No heal attempts that I could hear, and no healing skill when I lored it.

Does anyone have more information on getting healing on a lion or saber-toothed tiger?

Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let them bandage and they will get healing. Then it sometimes goes away. Sometimes it goes away upon taming. I built one up to 25 healing skill and it still didn't show it in the lore. Then a villager killed it...

Its time consuming to get the healing to stick.

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yeah i havent worked out any logic behind it yet. The last time i went to get a new lion with healing, i think we ended up going through about 40 or 50 before i got one where the healing gained and stayed after taming.

All you can really do is seperate one, beat it down, grab another, beat that one down, then check the first to see if healing gained. If it did, tame, then check it stayed. Dont just look at the healing points though, make sure healing is still listed on the lore and knowledge page.

Its good to know saber toothed can also get healing, makes me wonder what else might be able to get it that we havent discovered yet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I went looking for a colored tiger and the first one I popped in on attacked me so it was grey to me. My dog almost killed it so I decided to invis and make sure it wasn't colored. It was white! I called the dog off and tamed it on first try.

So I decided I owe time to the tigers. I been killing them since and have tried to get a healing sabertooth. They have healing for a small amount of time then it goes away. I got another to 20 healing skill and it turned off the skill when tamed... I took a tamed that had no healing after it did have healing when wi;d to 5 life and let it sit. It didn't gain healing and it just sat at 8.4 healing skill. It passed away.

This may have to do with them losing 1/2 their HP and Str when tamed.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah this bug really sucks, i gave a lion lots of 120s on the understanding it would have healing, and it has none.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With healing, which pet do you all feel makes the better pet?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After wounding many Saber Tooths yesterday, I got none to keep healing. I even found a few that wouldn't heal at all.

I would take them down to 4 to 30 life and watch what happens. My guess is you have to get the successful tame the instant they bandage and healing shows up on the lore.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With healing, which pet do you all feel makes the better pet?
Eodon pets don't have magical abilities like Cus have. They do 100% physical damage and you cant mount them.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking that it's probably better to do combat damage rather than magic to get anatomy to raise up for a better healing success chance, assuming their healing/anatomy works like ours. Anatomy only seemed to raise on the animals when I was fighting by hand, not by casting on them.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I've gotten it. This has worked on 7 lions in a row.

I take a pet and beat them down to 12 or 16%, then call my pet off (just to not accidentally kill the lion... which I did a couple times). Then I cast mind blast on the lion to get it to 4-8% health. Invis and listen for the bandaid. It tends to happen right away if it's going to happen. If I hear the bandaid, I do not lore the lion (not sure if this matters). I go right up and tame it immediately. If I don't hear the bandaid within a couple minutes, I run off and beat another lion down and repeat. Go back to the first lion, beat it back down to 4-8%, wait for the bandaid.

2 of the 7 lions healed themselves while at around 10 anatomy. The other 5 required 2-3 beatdowns and didn't heal until anatomy was at 19+. All 7 kept healing upon tame and healing skill did not halve like others. 3 lions had 0.9 healing skill. 2 had 1.7 and 1 had 2.4.

I'm about to start training one to see if healing goes up. Will keep you posted!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I take a pet and beat them down to 12 or 16%, then call my pet off (just to not accidentally kill the lion... which I did a couple times). Then I cast mind blast on the lion to get it to 4-8% health. Invis and listen for the bandaid. It tends to happen right away if it's going to happen. If I hear the bandaid, I do not lore the lion (not sure if this matters). I go right up and tame it immediately. If I don't hear the bandaid within a couple minutes, I run off and beat another lion down and repeat. Go back to the first lion, beat it back down to 4-8%, wait for the bandaid.

2 of the 7 lions healed themselves while at around 10 anatomy. The other 5 required 2-3 beatdowns and didn't heal until anatomy was at 19+. All 7 kept healing upon tame and healing skill did not halve like others. 3 lions had 0.9 healing skill. 2 had 1.7 and 1 had 2.4.

I'm about to start training one to see if healing goes up. Will keep you posted!
TY

Though I would prefer the DEVs fixed this issue so all Lions and Saber Tooths get Healing from the start and keep it without all the sillyness.

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The healing may take a while to raise when it's that low. My first lion got to 5 slot before it saw gains. I found using shadow eles was a good way as the damage is minimal so you only have to toss the occasional heal and you can train the other skills at the same time. Once it gets to 20ish it will shoot up a lot faster

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
According to Kyronix at the meet and greet going on right now, there is a 1 in 6 chance of finding one with healing on it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You have 7 Tamed lions with healing? Ive been working on Saber Tooths. Try those and see if they have it when tamed.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have 7 Tamed lions with healing? Ive been working on Saber Tooths. Try those and see if they have it when tamed.
Yep 7 lions with healing. 3 of them are on my Magincia vendor (Atlantic Trammel) - vendor is named "Healing Lions!" if you want to see the full lore screens. 2 I gave away and 2 I'm going to try training.

I just started saber-toothed tigers. First one took 3 beat downs - just like the lion, once anatomy got to 20, the tiger started healing itself - and this guy healed repeatedly all the way to 100% health and got healing to 12.5! It stayed when I tamed it. No loss of healing skill. (Don't know yet if it will go up during training).

That was the first saber-toothed I tried. Going back now for some more. (This is on Atlantic).

Here are the lion and tiger lore/knowledge screens. This lion is 2.4 healing - again, not sure if healing will go up. Have to get some bonding potions.

lionh2.png
saber12h.png

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tamed some more healing lions and STTs today. Upon tame, a couple of them lost healing from the lore/knowledge page, even though they show some skill points in healing. So definitely double-check that healing is listed under lore/knowledge if you expect the pet to train up healing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I Tamed at least 40 or 50 .... Got them to use healing before taming.... Lored them it was on the Lore menu before I stabled it got it out of the Stable and lored it and the Healing went away EVERY Time...

@Kyronix I have tried everything I can think of ...... Killed I don't know or want to count how many Lions and Sabertooths and NONE of them keep healing.... I had 2 that I thought worked and had healing on them.... used the expensive Pet Bonding potions on and as soon as I got them back out of the stables.... yep that's right NO HEALING on the Lore Menu... they still had 1.7 or whatever in healing... but after using them a few times it was more than obvious that they weren't going to use it or gain in it... so I don't know what you are smoking but NO... they don't seem to keep healing and I NEVER found a single one that on the initial Lore had any healing at all and neither did I EVER find one that had any skill in healing to start with...

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today I started training the saber-toothed tiger I posted above that had 12.5 healing post-tame. It's raising. A couple Navrey runs and it's up to 29.5.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I NEVER found a single one that on the initial Lore had any healing at all and neither did I EVER find one that had any skill in healing to start with...
Same here. I've lored about 100 of them in the past 2 weeks and have never seen one that had any points in healing (just ---) and none that had healing in their lore/knowledge list in the wild - not before being subjugated.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Today I started training the saber-toothed tiger I posted above that had 12.5 healing post-tame. It's raising. A couple Navrey runs and it's up to 29.5.
It raises easily. I got 2 untamed ones up to 25 and the healing ability did not stay on them for long. It would be there then go away.

The problem is watching the ability come and go while they are wild or it going away when they tame.

If you get the ability to be on the lore screen once they tame. It stays there.

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I wonder if there is a prerequisite skill level to toggle the healing. I know someone posted here a while back that their lion randomly gained healing while raising slots. So it could be like parry where it needs go wrestling to show up, but in this case it may be a certain level of anatomy or another skill that lets it kick in. Would make sense with how many lions lose healing on tame since combat skills tend to drop from pretame levels

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It raises easily. I got 2 untamed ones up to 25 and the healing ability did not stay on them for long. It would be there then go away.

The problem is watching the ability come and go while they are wild or it going away when they tame.

If you get the ability to be on the lore screen once they tame. It stays there.
NO It does NOT.... I've had it on the Lore Screen then used a Pet Bonding potion on the Lion and POOF GONE... X 2 so far... and then I thought well maybe it's still there... so I took it out and started training them up...... and the NEVER gained above the 1.7.... didn't even make like they were trying to use healing at all ....

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO It does NOT.... I've had it on the Lore Screen then used a Pet Bonding potion on the Lion and POOF GONE... X 2 so far... and then I thought well maybe it's still there... so I took it out and started training them up...... and the NEVER gained above the 1.7.... didn't even make like they were trying to use healing at all ....
I've had a similar experience. That first night when I tamed 7 that had healing (posted above) - all 7 had healing post-tame on the lore/knowledge screen when I stabled them. The next day, 2 of the 5 lost it when I took them out of the stables.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well that sucks. I've only got one of each and both have stayed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well that sucks. I've only got one of each and both have stayed.
Yeah it does suck so until something is done about it I'm not wasting any more time or effort on trying to get one.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In tonight's saber-toothed tiger adventures.... I had given up on one that got to 25 anatomy and had never bandaged itself. I tamed it to sic it on a wild one and kill it off, and just to be sure, checked the l/k page one last time. It showed Healing, but had no skill points in healing (---). So as an experiment I brought it out hunting a bit, and sure enough - it gained healing skill.

From that, I would say the be-all, end-all is if Healing shows up in lore/knowledge - because I've seen it in skill points and not on l/k and in that scenario, the lion or STT doesn't gain healing. But with no skill points and Healing on the list, it will gain.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In tonight's saber-toothed tiger adventures.... I had given up on one that got to 25 anatomy and had never bandaged itself. I tamed it to sic it on a wild one and kill it off, and just to be sure, checked the l/k page one last time. It showed Healing, but had no skill points in healing (---). So as an experiment I brought it out hunting a bit, and sure enough - it gained healing skill.

From that, I would say the be-all, end-all is if Healing shows up in lore/knowledge - because I've seen it in skill points and not on l/k and in that scenario, the lion or STT doesn't gain healing. But with no skill points and Healing on the list, it will gain.
But I had 2 that showed healing on the list on Lore/Knowledge... So I took it to Skara Brae Stabled it ... took it out was ok.. waited for it to bond fed it and..... POOF healing no longer on the list.

SEcond try... again worked around with them beatting them down listening for the bandage... yes bandaged... checked lore/Knowledge YES Healing on the list.. this time I said forget taking it and stabling it first and wating a week... Fed it bonding potion on the spot..... again POOF no healing on the lore/knowledge anymore... this time I think well... maybe it just "fell" off ..... so started training it up fighting things and it NEVER healed itself again...

I give up. Until I hear this is fixed and there is some way to find one that has freaking healing that KEEPS it's healing I"m doing wasting time and money on them. Extremely disappointed to have wasted a bonding potion on the thing.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix - Why can't we ride these: Tigers, Lions, Saber-tooth tigers, rams (feel free to add more). I mean they already have the ethy tiger mount so it shouldn't be too hard for those at least.

General Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I was having trouble getting healing to show in the lore screen on lions once tamed, I've worked out a bit of a process. There is probably an easier way.

I've found if I let the lion beat on my CU while i healed it to get the lions anatomy up to around 30 then beat the lion till their health is around 8% they start using healing often, I'll then just magic arrow them to keep health low until healing gets to around 10% then tame. I've found that healing is more likely to stick in the lore section if they are actively using it while tamed. If not, I've released and done the same thing to the now wild lion and re-tame when hit points are low again. I've done the release then re-tame twice now and got healing to stick.

Also because MalagAste was having problems with the healing sticking around once bonded, I started the training process before bonding to see if that locks it in. I've just been training my lion in test center and it's healing stuck after bonding and is increasing nicely and I've the option to increase the healing cap to 120. It's been actively healing it's self after the fight until it gets to 100%.

It could just be luck considering my sample size, maybe someone can see how they go and maybe we can work out a faster way.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so ive been playing around with this all day today.
ive noticed some strange stuff.
ive noticed that pretty much all lions will heal themselves initially if you take them all the way down to like 10hp.
and when they do healing will come up on their list of skills and also under the knowledge section.
but that they will also loose that listing of healing under the knowledge section seconds later but they for the most part will continue to gain in healing.

very strange.

this is both tamed and untamed ones.

but i have run into 1 lion who obviously has healing, he is gaining in leaps and bounds!
it was obviously different initially from when i took him down to 10hp he bounced up several times in rapid succession, way faster than what the other lions had been doing.
this one had 0 anat as well, so its healing gained way faster than the anat was.
once tamed it retained the healing listing under knowledge and of course the listed skill and points.
as of now im still beating him up and he is still gaining currently gaining just as fast as anat which was way different than the other ones.
up to 12 in both healing and anat so far in just a couple minutes.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok, so fast forward 10 minutes, i put on my taming training mastery thing, up to 35 healing and 34 anat.
that went up fast!!!

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
What I wonder is whether it is possible to make the lions start healing themselves after tame/release/beat down. That way it would be easier to get a healing lion because a retame is a breeze.....

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What I wonder is whether it is possible to make the lions start healing themselves after tame/release/beat down. That way it would be easier to get a healing lion because a retame is a breeze.....
yes

DeadThing

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
A guild mate and I tried this on a Triceratops with 0 success (releasing and attempting to get healing to pop up again), but it was missing Healing from its lore page, even though it had minimal skill in healing listed. I just though I'd throw that out there, before I throw in my bit about Saber Cats. Now that I think about it, this may not be useful, as I got healing to activate and stick on my first try out (this was months ago), but I saw someone mentioned Mind Blast, and that is exactly how I wore down my Saber Cat. It's my go to for anything I want to beat down but be reasonably sure I wont accidentally kill. I heard the bandage sound, and began taming while it was still healing. I just finished him a couple of days ago, and he's healing himself, and me like a champ, though gains are slow in healing. Anytime he's taking the brunt of damage, he works it up slowly. I'll be moving to rotting corpses soon likely to try speed up that process.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
casper.jpg
Now look at Casper :)
What I did is simply tame him, take him to my house (all follow me - gate travel), lock him up in an area surrounded by boxes (all stay) then release. Casting mind blast on him. The 4.2 healing appeared in the lore screen almost immediately, BUT Healing in the Special Abilities did not show up before mind blast beat him down to 8% health. Since "a clear path" is necessary for taming I released and took away 2 boxes, then retame, which was no problem at all. Another lore said "very unhappy" but feeding solved that problem. Put im in the stable, claim it again and see, the healing remained :)
I hope it will still be there next week, when casper is bonded.....

SouthPaw

Lore Master
View attachment 97427
Now look at Casper :)
What I did is simply tame him, take him to my house (all follow me - gate travel), lock him up in an area surrounded by boxes (all stay) then release. Casting mind blast on him. The 4.2 healing appeared in the lore screen almost immediately, BUT Healing in the Special Abilities did not show up before mind blast beat him down to 8% health. Since "a clear path" is necessary for taming I released and took away 2 boxes, then retame, which was no problem at all. Another lore said "very unhappy" but feeding solved that problem. Put im in the stable, claim it again and see, the healing remained :)
I hope it will still be there next week, when casper is bonded.....
If it states healing on the lore abilities page it will stay. Very important that you see it on the abilities page, just because it shows some points in the skill on the skills page doesn't mean your pet actually has the skill. The only negative thing about multiple release/re-tame is the skill loss.

Personally, I'm not a fan of lions/triceratops/sabretooths at all. I've owned all 3 and was disappointed with them. Something is wrong with Tri's AI, they barely ever use abilities. When I tamed them I would beat them down to <10% HP, careful not to kill them. Then I would spam animal lore until I saw healing on the lore page and tame. They're easier to tame with low HP too because they move so slow, easy to lead tame. All that being said, not sure why anyone would want them as pets, much better animals available, the melee magics they come with are terrible.