• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) LIMERICK CONTEST ANNOUNCED!

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LIMERICK CONTEST ANNOUNCED!

The Pirates of Siege Perilous [Arrr] are holding a Limerick Contest. The Limericks will be judged by the United Pirates of Catskills, UO's oldest pirates' guild.
Many useful and rare items can be yours if you WRITE AND SUBMIT AN ORIGINAL LIMERICK
(no plagiarism ;p.)

SUBMIT YOUR LIMERICK
by writing it in a UO book and dropping it in the Mailbox at the Perilous Inquirer; located out the Luna south gate, 3rd house on the left.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
is Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013.

WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED
by DJ Def on UORadio.com, Saturday, October 26th, 2013.

RULES
1. Pirate Theme only - Limericks must be about pirates or pirating or the pirate life.
2. 3 Verse limit - One verse is fine, and no more than three verses will be considered.
3. The Limerick must be the original work of the person submitting the limerick.
4. Winner must be a Citizen of Siege Perilous.
5. Decisions of the judges will be final.

FOUR FANTASTIC PRIZES! WoW!

FIRST PRIZE

http://images.podotech.net/firstprize.jpg
Cards (valued at 30 mil)
Legacy Token
House Teleporter Set
A Flaming Head Deed
Deed for a Stone Ankh
Ethy llama
A Holiday Timepiece, A Copper Shilling, Jaana's Hangover Remedy & A Bottle of Pink Champagne

SECOND PRIZE

http://images.podotech.net/secondprize.jpg
Rubble Blessed Wearable Pants
Complete Virtue Tile set
Deed for a Stone Ankh
A Flaming Head Deed, A Flaming Head Deed
A Clothing Bless Deed
Weapon Engraving Tool
A Heritage Token
Flowerpot, Flowerpot
Ethy Horse
A Holiday Timepiece, A Copper Shilling, Jaana's Hangover Remedy & A Bottle of Pink Champagne

THIRD PRIZE

http://images.podotech.net/thirdprize.jpg
Ruined Painting
Bag of 12 Bulk Order Covers
Ethy Beetle
White Leather Dye Tub
A Shadow Token
A Crystal Token
A Flaming Head Deed

FOURTH PRIZE

http://images.podotech.net/fourthprize.jpg
Tome of Lost Knowledge
Shipbuilding Hammer
12th Anniversary Gift Ticket, 13th Anniversary Gift Ticket, 14th Anniversary Gift Ticket, A Holiday Gift Ticket
Weapon Engraving Tool
Swords of Prosperity
Sleeping Hamster

RARE PRIZES DONATED BY FAMINE
Asked why, Famine's answer was simply, "I want to give back. This game has given me so much."
Famine's "Siege Perilous Museum" will soon be open to the public in the north end of Zento at 40N,40W, next to the trail going north to the desert of Deathwatch Beetles. The purpose of the museum is to preserve many of the game's rare and interesting artifacts.

LIMERICKS 101
Example:
The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_(poetry)

Don't get too hung up on the "rules of limericks". To quote a favorite pirate, they be "...more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules."

Updates will be posted as the contest progresses. :pirate:

Last edited:

imported_Falon of Eldor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NM.....THANK YOU for the event!

(orginally was questing why 3 lines and not 5 like norms...but i'll work with the guidelines given)

Last edited:

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think one entry per player is fine, I do not want to overwhelm our judges. It must be a citizen of siege as well.
There are no cleanliness guidelines, but if a dirty one wins it will not be read on UOadio, but you will get the prize.
The guild Arrr (Yarr is our faction guild) is happy to create this, the first of three events to launch our player town "Pirates Cove"
I urge every citizen of siege to put on a pirate hat and write a limmerick.
No Arrr member will touch or see entries, this is a 100% fair contest.
I must thank Deadbob in advance for handling the entries for us, I believe his integrity beyond reproach.
I also thank any stratics reporters that help him in this endevor.
and last but not least, I thank the "United Pirates" for judging. I cant imagine what it took to keep a guild running that long, but I look forward to seeing more about them!
I also want to thank my guild and allies, your the best lot this old pirate could ever hope to sail with!
Cheers!
Parium the Black

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Bump disguised as a message*

Dear DeadBob,

Here's a quick note to let you know I dropped off a book
Hopefully my writings will not be mistook.
I would have dropped it off quicker
But your mailbox made me snicker.
If others don't believe me, they can take a look!

Rue Tor

*Remembers image of DeadBob's mailbox*

Mailbox.jpg

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ROFL! er, yeh, Rue, we received yours & Lupe's limericks today. Thank you both.

{OMG that was Not in My 12th Anny ticket!}
BUYING 12TH ANNIVERSARY GIFT TICKETS!!

Dacatge

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Pirate News
We have just received word from one of our pirate informants. He has reported that there is a plot to kidnap one of the United Pirates court, to hold for ransom. We were informed that they will try the kidnapping during the Limerick Contest. We are making a complete investigation and will keep the public posted. If we get the information soon we might be able to stop this from happening, and if we cannot then we may call on the people of Sasoria to lend us a hand. We want to keep peace with the United Pirates and further our relationship.

Good luck on the Contest

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to my blackmail files, Otero hasn't paid up, so I can tell you this: He may be the kidnapper in question. Bigglesby, proprietor of the Winds Tavern at the Seaport, told me in the strictest confidence -he hasn't paid up either- that a KAOS agent named Otero was asking about the comings & goings of "pirates from another shard."
That's a very old guild. Killing As Organized Sport [KAOS] is known for causing trouble as far back as the days before Internet games when AOL hosted Neverwinter Nights in the early 90's.
So, I'd consider this Otero to be a possible "perp of interest" in any kidnapping venture.

Last edited:

Famine

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Siege!

When I was first approached about this contest I was excited to play a part!

In our land of trinkets, tankards, and treasures Pirates have long been at it's heart.

Every time those drunken, deck swab'n sea rats hit our shores we be hold'n our treasures tight.

Because on Siege, we all know, the word "Pirate" means fear or FIGHT!

So, before I depart... I call out to all you Captain Red Beards and Sally Red Beards, the Lazy Jack Jones and the Figgin Funny Bones, the ones who got away and the ones who had to pay, let's see your Limericks hit the chart!... about drunken hic's aboard pirate ships, table tops with malty hops or when Lefty's leg was wheeled off in a cart... let them ALL be heard far and wide and what better way to start... than a Limerick, of your pride, for the black pirate art!

:pirate:

Famine
Siege Perilous Museum
Limerick Contest Sponsor

Last edited:

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Oh I am so glad people are getting into this! I am starting a player written book library and would love to have any of the contestant's entries that would be willing. However, do not show them to me now as I may enter as well.

Dacatge

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hello Siege!

When I was first approached about this contest I was excited to play a part!

In our land of trinkets, tankards, and treasures Pirates have long been at it's heart.

Every time those drunken, deck swab'n sea rats hit our shores we be hold'n our treasures tight.

Because on Siege, we all know, the word "Pirate" means fear or FIGHT!

So, before I depart... I call out to all you Captain Red Beards and Sally Red Beards, the Lazy Jack Jones and the Figgin Funny Bones, the ones who got away and the ones who had to pay, let's see your Limericks hit the chart!... about drunken hic's aboard pirate ships, table tops with malty hops or when Lefty's leg was wheeled off in a cart... let them ALL be heard far and wide and what better way to start... than a Limerick, of your pride, for the black pirate art!

:pirate:

Famine
Siege Perilous Museum
Limerick Contest Sponsor

*Tips Tricorne Hat*

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I am so glad people are getting into this! I am starting a player written book library and would love to have any of the contestant's entries that would be willing. However, do not show them to me now as I may enter as well.
I am not sure what I am going to do with the entries. I know the winners will be displayed at the Pirates Cove Tavern. I am definitely anxious to read all the entries after the contest.

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HOUSE GUESTS FROM CATSKILLS
The Leader of the United Pirates of Catskills, Captain Trinsac and his friend, Wench Margaret, have arrived on Siege.
They be the vanguard of United Pirates members invited by our own Arrr pirates to serve as judges in the Limerick Contest.
Their Siege Perilous characters be named Gladiator and Gir'Lick and both are old Siege Perilous characters, resurrected for the contest.
Should you perchance encounter them, please make them feel welcome!

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HOUSE GUESTS FROM CATSKILLS
The Leader of the United Pirates of Catskills, Captain Trinsac and his friend, Wench Margaret, have arrived on Siege.
They be the vanguard of United Pirates members invited by our own Arrr pirates to serve as judges in the Limerick Contest.
Their Siege Perilous characters be named Gladiator and Gir'Lick and both are old Siege Perilous characters, resurrected for the contest.
Should you perchance encounter them, please make them feel welcome!
They are the eldest of the pirate council! *Tips hat to the United Pirate crew*
Please turn in your limericks by Wednesday night 12pm, They will begin judging the books on Thursday.

ooc: I just returned from driving my father to his surgery, and tomorrow I am driving Mrs. Kaisa to her parents in Michigan for a visit. I will be back for the rewarding of the prizes next Saturday.

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:arr:
NEED MORE ENTRIES
TWO (2) DAYS LEFT!
Drop Your Limerick in the mailbox of the Perilous Inquirer, 3rd house on the left out the Luna south gate.

c'ome ON !
It's a LIMERICK Contest, damn'ye. What's hard about that? A limerick has five lines;
the first, second, and fifth rhyme with each other, and the third and fourth rhyme with each other.
The first, second and fifth lines should have eight or nine syllables, while the third and fourth lines should have five or six.
Simple!

If ye can follow simple directions, ye can win one of the fabulous prizes!

Here's an example:
The Pirates Of Siege held a contest
To reward the limerick that was best
In extolling the glee
Of life on the sea
And paid with a full Treasure Chest!

See? Easy! Now, go write one & drop it in my mailbox no later than this Tuesday.

neptune1369

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*sigh's* Fine *put's up fishing pole and grab's a pen* I will try hopefully it's not to long to be considered . *signed* Von

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey now, what have you all got to lose? There are some amazing prizes, and lots of fun to be had. If you liked our pirate chase, you will love this!!

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*grumbles something about rhymes and running short on times*

So how is Otero pronounced pls?

Speaking of times...
What time in the greater world does the Tuesday deadline arrive?

Last edited:

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL startle... OH - tare - Oh
Otero was a god of the Ute Indians. His name meant, "Slayer of Alien Gods."

re deadline, I would expect it to be midnight EST, Tuesday, 22nd. That's tonight. However, from a practical standpoint, items dropped in the mailbox bear no date/time stamp, so, anything dropped in before I check my mailbox tomorrow morning will be deemed as meeting the deadline.

Last edited:

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bumped for Razz, the 2nd place winner received some really rare pants!

Delilah the Mad won 2nd prize if I remember correctly.
She used to do UOradio you can try her there.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am not sure what I am going to do with the entries. I know the winners will be displayed at the Pirates Cove Tavern. I am definitely anxious to read all the entries after the contest.
Is the Pirates Cove Tavern still standing and if so, where is it?